MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Marinated Mushroom for BWB canning

This is a really tasty recipe. It is safe since it is from USDA.

I have found I prefer 5% acidity cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. Both are fine. I have also found to preserve the color of the mushrooms I add 1/8 or less tsp. Fruit Fresh or Ever Fresh, which is ascorbic acid.

These make a nice gift, too.

This is safe ONLY in half pint jars. Do not reduce the acid nor add any other vegetables not listed in the proper amounts.

MARINATED WHOLE MUSHROOMS

7 lb. small whole mushrooms

1/2 cup bottled lemon juice

1 tbsp. canning or pickling salt

2-1/2 cups white vinegar (5% acidity)

l tbsp. oregano leaves

l tbsp. dried basil leaves

2 cups olive or salad oil

1/2 cup finely chopped onions

1/4 cup diced pimiento

2 cloves garlic, cut in quarters

25 black peppercorns

YIELD: About 9 half-pints

PROCEDURE:

Select very fresh unopened mushrooms with caps less than 1- 1/4 inch in diameter. Wash. Cut stems, leaving l/4 inch attached to cap. Add lemon juice and water to cover. Bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes. Drain mushrooms. Mix olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt in a saucepan. Stir in onions and pimiento and heat to boiling. Place 1/4 garlic clove and 2 - 3 peppercorns in a half-pint jar. Fill hot jars with mushrooms and hot, well-mixed oil/vinegar solution, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust

lids and process.

RECOMMENDED PROCESS TIME FOR MARINATED

WHOLE MUSHROOMS IN A BOILING-WATER CANNER half pints, 20 min.

THANKS for that recipe!! I printed it out for the binders..my family loves marinated mushrooms and this recipe is quite similar to my Papa's own...

I hope you all enjoy them. The added lemon juice you simmer them in helps to preacidify them. Bottled lemon juice is more acidic than vinegar, so that is why it is used. It is also to help with the color, but I do find they still turn a bit dark. The addition of the vinegar in the brine also adds acid.

The brine tastes good on salads, too. Would be good on a pasta salad, so I don't throw it out.

Not all veggies can be done this way, but at least we have a few nice choices. I really am happy I added the Fruit Fresh this last batch. From now on I will add it to each jar. It is ascorbic acid, and will only help with the color, not add acid.

I can sit and eat a whole jar at a time.

Ooohh, pasta salad, this brine sounds like it would be great on that. Hadn't thought of that possibility.

Do you think sliced mushrooms could be used as well if you don't pack them too densely? Then you could just dump the whole jar on the salad and be done with it. I'm so drooling. I'd better go get dinner started before I start licking the screen . . .

I now have 7 1/2 pints sitting on my kitchen table. They are quite attractive and tasty! (I should have had more but some of them didn't quite make it into canning jars . . .)

• 6 months later...

Hey Violet! Just wanted to let you know that I gave these as Christmas presents this year and got RAVE reviews. Everyone loved them. Unfortunately, they loved them so much, they are asking for more! I'm thinking they may just have to settle for the recipe instead!

Thanks again!

Andrea

• 3 years later...