MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Take off on another post: You might be a Canning-a-holic if...

HSmom

If you have more than 5 boxes of empty jars that you have not opened in 6 months.

If you have more than a pallet of empty jars that you have not opened in 2 years.

If you buy canning jars by the pallet.

If you *hide* your jar purchases from your loved ones because they wouldn't understand/might get upset.

If passing the canning supply aisle makes you quiver.

If your not even sure how many jars you actually own.

You go ballistic if someone uses a jar to store a non-food item (like pens).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to tell you, I did something wicked to Darlene when she was moving. I opened a cabinet to find Jars and jars of empties in pristine state. For a hoot I called Darlene over and said blithely (Just to see the reaction)

"Your not gonna take all these empty jars with you are you? Want me to dump them?"

Just to hear her dead serious tone (Think a female Clint Eastwood voice and look), "THOSE ARE CANNING JARS (Like I wouldn't know :happy0203: ) AND ARE COMING WITH ME.

I know, I was taking my life in my hands wasn't I? :24:

Some of us have to live on the edge.

Hey, I don't even have canning supplies -=-= except a 12 pack of quart jars for 'when I can'. LOL

Quick! Get rid of 'em!!!!

THAT'S HOW THEY GOT ME!!!!!! crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts

Hey, I don't even have canning supplies -=-= except a 12 pack of quart jars for 'when I can'. LOL

Now Nutty, we have reviewed your application into the canning arena and are pleased to announce that you have been accepted in the "I'm obsessed, outta control, totally outta my mind" elite canning group.

You have the first step completed with your 12 quart jars.

Now we need you to find a canner. Borrow one, beg for one, buy one, ask the family to pitch in and get you one...act exceptionally crazy when you don your white jacket...whatever it takes to get a pressure canner.

In the mean time, we'll be waiting.

You CAN trust us, dahling.

:happy0203:

lol

Originally Posted By: Aint2nuts

This reminds me of: "You might be a gun-nut if you buy ammo for a caliber of weapon that you do not own, thinking you might need it later.

:24:

Angela's hooked already! :canning:

You forgot to add that you might be one if you buy your canning flats by the sleeve of 24 dozen or more instead of by the box. I resemble THAT one for sure. :D

I do not buy my canning jars by the pallet, I buy them 10 and 12 boxes at a time at auctions for a dollar or two a box. I CAN'T hide how many I have from DH cause he helps me can. I don't get mad when canning jars are used for non-canning items because I have plenty to go around. I never quiver when going past the canning section cause I'm usually stopped there. You also forgot to mention that the number of canners a person owns might also factor in if you are a canning-o-holic. I won't tell you how many I have. But I think I might resemble that title. :happy0203:

:bighug2:

I am afraid to gather all my flats and rings together. I tried that once..... Neatly separated the wide from the regular and even separated out the stash of 63's I try to hide. When I had them all together, Glenn said I had "enough" lids. HA!!! He didn't know about the cases of lids he didn't see. I told him when he has "enough" tools, maybe then I will too. Hey, these are my tools too. He hasn't yet figured out 2 identical pressure canners or 3 water bath but he does know about the 2 monster 33 qt canners I got on Ebay when I thought I was getting 1 and 2 came in the box!!! Do I have enough yet?? NOPE

And I am about as bad when it comes to jars.

*my name is Necie and I'm a canning-a-holic....*

One early March day a couple years ago, this guy comes into the tavern and says - "The renter's are moving out of Mom's house (his mom had been deceased for about 15 yrs) and I want to clean it up before I rent it again. The basement is full of jars of stuff that Mom canned and I can't haul it out because of my knees (he'd had surgery on both). If you want to clean it out, you can have the jars." Me---> :woohoo: DBF---> :mad:

So having two days off in the winter, the first day I go haul box after box of jars full of stuff at least 15 years old out of this basement--THREE truck loads! :o It was a chilly spring day, a little drizzly, but not bad when movin' around and workin'. I stack them all right plum in the middle of the garage as I'm figuring on dumping them all the next day. The next day--IT'S 20F AND SNOWING!! :o I get two 5-gal buckets and start opening and dumping jars. Get both buckets full and haul them to the garden and dump-COMPOST! :happy0203: Then...go in the house to thaw my fingers, then back to the garage to do it again. Loaded all the empty jars into the back of the truck AGAIN and as soon as it was closing time at the tavern where I work, I took them in and ran them through the commercial dishwasher. Only took two trips with empty jars. :shrug: Had to put two boxes of jars that I couldn't get open out for garbage pick up. After all was done - I had increased my jar inventory by over 700 jars!

DBF said-"I think you have ENOUGH jars now"

I said- " :24: .......Oh, you're serious? Ok, Honey, whatever you say." ;)

Too funny! I'm headed in that direction. I have my little 12 jars of soup and I'm planning my next canning session. My poor DH asked if he could have some soup, and I said, "You cannot SERIOUSLY consider separating one jar from the rest of it's friends. You may hold, stare longingly at it, even stroke it if you wish, but you may NOT unping that jar." Maybe I need to be nicer to the person who oohs and aahs over my fabric purchases.

Awwwww-let the poor boy have some soup. :) I love hearing that phhhu of a jar being opened AS MUCH as hearing the PING--means somebody is eating something GOOD and *I* get another empty jar to fill again. :happy0203:

DS2 and his GF are moving into their first apartment this week-end and he called to see if I'd loan him some money for groceries. SURE! I also plan on packing up a few ;) boxes of home canned goodies--with strict instructions to give me back the empty jars. :happy0203:

The satisfaction is not in the canning, but in the joy of seeing the people you love being fed well. :feedme:

:bighug2:

Originally Posted By: Melissa

"You cannot SERIOUSLY consider separating one jar from the rest of it's friends. You may hold, stare longingly at it, even stroke it if you wish, but you may NOT unping that jar."

:24: That's too funny! (but sadly true here too, they look too pretty on the shelf, lol)

Originally Posted By: HSmom

If you have more than 5 boxes of empty jars that you have not opened in 6 months.

If you have more than a pallet of empty jars that you have not opened in 2 years.

If you buy canning jars by the pallet.

If you *hide* your jar purchases from your loved ones because they wouldn't understand/might get upset.

If passing the canning supply aisle makes you quiver.

If your not even sure how many jars you actually own.

You go ballistic if someone uses a jar to store a non-food item (like pens).

:canning:

*AHEM*

I am adding more to this list courtesy of Mother, Pigzilla and Necie and the others who know who you are:

If you have ever *cased* an Estate sale, Flea Market or Auction for Canning Supplies.

If you have enough lids to *tile* the bathroom (a nice mosiac pattern of sizes).

If you've conceivably considered including your canner and supplies as a bequeath in your will.

If you hope you're bequeathed a canner and supplies.

If they ever opened it as a sport, you could CAN for the Olympics and medal. (Could you go for the Gold?)

Have you named your canner?

:bounce:

Originally Posted By: cookiejar

Have you named your canner?

:bounce:

:24: Mt_Rider has!!!! :24:

:sEm_blush::busted::sEm_blush:

My canner's name is Sherman :canning: ......as in...Sherman Tank .....cuz of how much that AllAm. thing weighs!!!! And he's only a 915. Sherman and I have had a long acquaintance...since Nov. He's gotten loving attention for cleaning and refurbishing. I used dental floss to clean the threads of his big bolts!!! He got new dial and transformed to have a jiggly thing instead of the other valve. Initially he sat (in the way) on my kitchen floor. (My kitchen floor space is 9'X 2') Finally, he got a place of honor.... under my coffee table. I refuse to put him up high or in a back cabinet or other inaccessible places. He has to remain in sight and handy. ............ :sEm_blush: :sEm_blush: :sEm_blush: ....but he's never been on the stove yet....... Y'seeeeee, we have all these plans, Sherman and I. We dream of beef stew, canned turkey, pickled beets, & canned turnips. We will can such great mountains of food together someday. We really will. But we're a bit shy. He's just not sure how well he can can. I'm not sure how well I can orchestrate the process. :behindsofa: I mean, what if we make a mistake? Maybe we need therapy?

So do I qualify if I bought canning salt, Ball Fruit Jell, rings & flats last summer? And I have always picked up a few jars from garage sales/thrift stores if they have them. Am I DISqualified if I don't have hundreds? Am I DISqualified if I don't know where all the jars are in the garage? [summer project: major garage cleaning/sorting.....Project status: as yet not completed] :rolleyes:

This is all Darlene's fault. She got me into this. She got us ALL into this! I was innocent of the potential of canning before a year ago. Now look where it's got me. Just one more thing on my TO DO list that I haven't gotten around TO DOING. :0327:

OK, I can do this in baby steps. I will put Sherman on the stove with water and make sure all his parts are in place. I will turn on the stove and watch the gauge jiggle. I can do that.

So what time is our group therapy going to meet???????????

And HSmom........ I have such plans for your payback, gal!!!! :whistling:

MtRider and good pal, Sherman. :canning: