MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Peaches

Hi Everybody,

This is the first time I’ve canned peaches. They are good but mushy. Is there way to keep them firmer?

I packed uncooked, skinned and sliced peaches into hot jars. Ladled an extra-light syrup over them and BWB processed them for 25 minutes. I left them in the pot 20 minutes after processing. All sealed. Should I have done anything differently?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions

YYY

Hi Everybody,

This is the first time I’ve canned peaches. They are good but mushy. Is there way to keep them firmer?

I packed uncooked, skinned and sliced peaches into hot jars. Ladled an extra-light syrup over them and BWB processed them for 25 minutes. I left them in the pot 20 minutes after processing. All sealed. Should I have done anything differently?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions

YYY

I put mine into a pot of COLD water, then use a potato peeler to peel them, then into another COLD bath and they stay pretty firm. I use simple syrup to fill in the spaces. I know lots of people who like to cook theirs etc., and your fruit will "float" ... but it stays firmer. I place my jars into my water bath pot when it's just fairly warm, to temper my jars before I actually fire up the pot to can them. I let them boil for 30 minutes, let them "rest" for 5 and then take them out and sit them on my butcher block covered with a thick towel. Just my way of doin' it...LOL

Why did you leave them in the canner for 20 min. ? That will sure make them softer.

You only let them sit another 5 min. with the lid off. Leaving them in too long can also cause a thermal loving bacteria to start growing.

Using a light syrup will make them softer than a heavier syrup.

I also only do a raw pack. I do not like a hot packed fruit.