MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Michael is down and out!

The day started off so nice as Lori and I got to ride on the back of a hay wagon with our legs hanging over the back as Freeman (Amish) drove from his barn through the snow covered field to the side road to get to his son’s home where we were to unload 50 bales of hay. The cows came a running thinking we had feed for them and the horse in the other field stopped to see where we were headed. When that hay was unload into his barn (down on ground level) we headed over to Ben’s (Amish) to unload the other 150 bales into his barn. They had gotten the conveyer ready to load the hay up in the hayloft of the big barn. We all took jobs and mine was to go up and help unload as the bales came off the conveyer and stack them up with 2 other Amish Friends.
Well things were going great until I put my foot, leg and kneecap though a space in the flooring and I was STUCK!

The flooring was 2x 4’s with a small spacing between each one, I found the one with the spacing just a bit wider as one board had warped a bit making the space wide enough for my foot and leg to go throw BUT not come back out! No matter what I did I could not get it past my kneecap? Meanwhile bales of hay are still coming up as the ones down below have no idea what happened. As one Amish climbed down to stop the motor the other one tried to pick me up so I could turn and see it that helped. As the minutes went by with my leg starting to swell and hay bales coming at me as I sat on the floor in pain – I thought of not being able to ever see you guys ever again……….Not!

After we decided there was no way of me getting free one Amish Guy decided we would have to get the chainsaw and cut me out? NO! not my leg! I need my leg! I cried/ laughed, but I knew they meant the 2x4’s holding me; meanwhile the horses down below us are looking up at ‘THAT THING’ hanging down from the ceiling wondering if it is a treat or a bat? To help make it easier to cut me out one helper started to move some of the lose hay away from me and the boards. Hey, there is a bit wider space about a foot ahead of you that may let you get your kneecap back up from the flooring, they said? So they picked me up and moved me inch by inch until we got to the part that I could pull my leg back out, and pulling hard it popped back up. They want to stop but I said no let me just sit here a minute while you finish unloading the wagon. Seeing I was in a lot of pain and a bit dizzy I didn’t help with rest of the load.
The only good part, Lori was inside helping the Ladies do things and didn’t see me fall or get stuck. Well that is until she came out looking for me to ask about driving an Amish Family shopping the next day and when she asked where I was one of the girls said ‘up in the hayloft’. Can he come down so I can ask him something? ‘Well no he can’t!’

So we get done and everyone starts climbing down from up above using the sides of the horse stables and the gates until I realize there ain’t no way I am doing THAT. So we had to wait until someone found a ladder and I could go out the hay door ( after they moved the conveyer out of the way) and climb down with EVERYONE watching as I hobbled down one step at a time to the ground. Lori asked how bad it was and I said let’s not do anything here ( I didn’t want all the Amish Ladies looking over me and bandaging me up and I was in PAIN) just get the van and we will go home. At home we found I had scraped my leg up very bad and lost patches of skin as well as a few cuts, my kneecap is very sore and swollen (as well as the leg) and I am on crutches and staying home.

So that’s my story………….. How was your day?

Dad's leg accidentally went through the ceiling when he was up in the attic one day. He hoped he was over the laundry room, but looked down and saw the kitchen table. He heard Mom yell at him to not move. He sat there a moment, then realized...she was going to get the camera. He yanked his leg back out just in time that she wasn't able to take a picture.

Now that sounds like an adventure worthy of our WagonsHo story. OW! That must have hurt! How weird is that...finding the place where your foot can go thru. Glad they didn't have to start up the chain saw..... :o

Well you know the drill, Michael. Elevate that leg to get swelling down. Meaning, no walking about more than necessary. A real chore for an active guy like you....I know the drill too! :imoksmiley:

MtRider ----have a treat to make you feel better! :cakeslice:

Do you know how much you CAN"T do while on crutches?

............and you have to KNOW 10 minutes before potty time!

I wanted to make breakfest - 5 steps to frige, take out eggs. Can't hold them AND crutches!

hobble along counter until I get eggs to stove.

Take out pan and hobble back to frige to get bread and ham slices.

hobble along counter until I get to stove, Start cooking.

Turn to get coffee going and it is WAY over there on counter!
get out coffee pot, hobble over to sink to fill! I forogt coffee so back to get filter and coffe.......... pick up what I spilled!

back to sink to get water and 'try' and get coffeepot on stove.

Now eggs are done but no dish?
hobble along counter until I get to dishrack, get dish head back to stove. Forgot folk and knife...........

back to dishrack.
coffee is done but mug is STILL in dishrack %^$#$%!!!!!!!
All done at last so I pick up coffee mug and dish with ham and eggs on it -forgot to make toast$%#^$#!
Turn to get cruches and now I CAN"T pick up food and drink AND crutches and get back to breakfest table!

Go and wake up Lori and ask for help.

OUCH! I'm thinking you're very blessed to have not broken any bones...ie...ankle or toes even. If you have a way to get them, "loft/forearm crutches" are wonderful if you have to be on crutches. My first/late husband had to have a hip replacement and we finally got him a pair of the lofts...it makes ALL the difference in the world for your mobility. Even Mountain Man, when he has the achillis (?) heel acting up, uses them (yes...I kept them!) to relieve the pain/pressure. They'd be a pretty good prep in this gals opinion!

Edited by Philbe

Ouch! ((((Michael)))) Keep that knee elevated and ice it every hour or so for 15 minutes - keep the swelling down! If it doesn't get better in a few days, get yourself to a doctor, you may have torn something. Hang in there! I know what you're going through! I spent 6 weeks on crutches two years ago when I fell off a log and dislocated my knee. But falling off of a log is easy compared to stepping through a barn floor! :laughkick: (I know, I know. It's not funny, but it will be in a few more weeks!)

:pray: for a speedy recovery for you Michael. I know your brain is always working overtime, so I'm sure you will think of all kinds of trouble I ment to say good projects to get into while you are down! :bouquet:

Once when I was young, I was evesdropping on my parents visiting with a neighbor in our living room. I was up in my bedroom directly above the living room, with my ear glued to one of those old fashioned passive heat register/duct things that was open to my room on the floor and open to the room below on the ceiling. I jumped up when I heard footsteps on the stairs, and accidentally ran my leg through the register hole! My mother later tells the story that they were chatting when all of a sudden, a leg popped down out of the ceiling! My dad had to come up and get me out and repair the register. Not sure if they knew about the evesdropping or not! The footsteps were from my bratty little brother, chalk one more sin against me up on the list.

I agree that you should elevate the leg. If it is still sore, consider using some ice packs for about 20 minutes at a time. Each half hour, lift your leg a little higher and do some toe stretches and ankle rolls. The major way the body has of moving lymph fluid (like swelling) is through muscular contraction. I love arnica gel for bruising. HTH and good luck.

Do you have an office chair with wheels that you could use in the kitchen, Michael? Just be very careful not to get overconfident and give it a good shove backward..... Ask me how I know..I flipped a regular wheelchair doing that during church. :rolleyes:

MtRider :cakeslice:

LOL - well I did think of doing that but Lori has been good and helping out.

When out today to do a little shopping at Aldies - but I got tired very quickly so Lori finished with our Amish friend helping out and I went out to the van.

Sun is out (very pretty sunrise this am by the way) so I am out in Greenhouse ‘warming up’ watching birds, reading (with leg up) and having a cup of tea. Ya know…………….. I might get used to this yet! LOL

:AmishMichael2: