MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone know of a pressure canner that does not have a gauge but has a weighted round dial (not the stacking kind) that holds 2 rows of pint jars. That would probably be something like 14 - 16 pint jars?

I need a bigger canner and I want the kind like I already have except mine is just too small, holding only one level of jars.

Not too picky here or anything. :rolleyes:

You mean the round weight on one ? Not the 3 piece one you can get for Presto.... The only round weighted one is Mirro. Don't buy one ! The new ones a junk. They have springs in the handles that keep wearing out. Then, you will be finding a harder time finding parts for any Mirro. I was told that my a gal that runs the canning dept. in a store where I teach. Mirro was bought out by some other company.

What is wrong with the Presto with the 3 piece weight set added on instead of the counterweight that comes with it ? You just buy the weight set extra for about $15. Leave the dial on, but then you rely on the weight instead of watching the dial the whole time.

So easy. It just rocks away the whole time. You can easily get Presto replacement parts so far. That is my favorite way and favorite canners.

The only other brand is All American, and they will be very expensive, and have those big bolts you tighten down. Metal to metal seal. They also have a dial and weights. The weight is round, but I really see no advantage.

You want a 22 or 23 qt size canner to stack that many pints.

Thanks Violet! I wanted the round disk thing because I really just don't want to learn anything new right now. Old dog...new tricks. :sEm_blush:

I could get one with the 3 piece weight though. That I could do. I just didn't want one with a guage. So, even if it comes with a gauge and a weight, you don't have to use the gauge? You just ignore it? Hummm.

The canner I have now is really good. It's an older 1970's made of very heavy metal like the All American ones. It's just too small. I'd keep it for regular batches but when I can...I can!

I'm not sure what I'm looking for size wise yet. I'd have to see one in person. I use mostly pints or half pints so I just guessed 23 qt.

I've looked at the All American but was turned off because all of the ones I saw had a guage. But if I didn't have to go by it....

You don't have to watch that dial if you go by the weights. It is just the same as using the Mirro you have otherwise.

Other than Presto will rock the entire time and the others are so many jiggles per minute. I like the constant rocking so I know it is working fine. I can be at the sink washing dishes or whatever and just listen to it.

I don't like messing with the All American bolts. It is hard being short and plus it is hot and hard to undo when the thing is so hot.

Give me my Prestos anyday. I have only gotten 1 new gasket for the oldest one in about 30 years. The other I have never had to get one for yet.

Here you can get a new Presto 22 qt. for $79 on sale. Right now Amazon has for $82.99 free shipping. Here we have to pay 8% sales tax. So, that is a great deal. Just need to order Presto part 50332 to get the weight set extra.

Thanks for all the advice. I was almost sold on the All American but since you mentioned having to reach up and over a hot hot hot pot I've changed my mind. I'm 5'2'' :rolleyes:

I'm going to wait until I go to Amish country this week too see if I can get the Presto there. I have to go down there anyway because I can not find a blanching pot here anywhere. Any excuse to get down there works though.

Edited to ask:

Okay, I don't have to pay any attention to the gauge but does it still have to be calibrated to read the correct pressure? :Blushing:

Edited by Jeepers

We are the same height. Not only the bolts on it, but I cannot even lift the AA canner empty. They are heavy.

No need to test the dial if you are getting the weight set. At that point the dial will just plug the hole. You will see if the dial is accurate when the 10 lb. weight jiggles. If the dial is just over 10 or at 11 lb. that is right. Do you live at 1,000 ft. elevation or less ? If so, you use the 10 lb. weight.

No blanching pots there ? I find them here. Usually the blue speckled ones in the thrift stores.

Can you get the Presto cheaper than the $82.99 ? That is a good price.

I hear the Amish sell Clear Jel cheaper. It would be fun to go with you !

I'm pretty sure I couldn't get one any cheaper down there I just figured while I'm down there I'd look. That way I wouldn't have to wait to have it shipped. I'll probably end up getting it online but it is worth a shot since I'm already going to be there.

I had to do a lot of errands yesterday and went to 3 Wal-Marts, 1 Super K-Mart and 1 Target looking for a granite blancher pot. Target had a fancy kind (not granite) for $69.00. No thanks! I'm sure I can pick one up at Lehmans. I've seen them at Wal-Mart all the time when I wasn't in the market for one.

One of the main reasons I want to go is for some asparagus. I don't eat it very often mostly because it's too expensive. I figured if I canned my own it would be cheaper and better. A dozen half pints would last me about 3 years. Yesterday I checked out our fruit/veggie market and their asparagus was $3.99 a pound and it was rubbery! And it's in season here now. I know I can get the fresh stuff from the farmers down there and hopefully cheaper!

I second Violet's recommendation for the Presto Canner. Mine works great. I was given an old monstrosity that I was afraid would damage my stove it was so heavy. Then, when I filled it with water, I could hardly lift it. The Presto is affordable and reliable. I got mine at Wal-Mart for under $50. Now, they retail for $64.99 - I know because I just bought one for my Mom for Mother's Day.

I found a blancher pot at a Target for $25.00. It's stainless steel with a glass lid. I like glass lids. I use one for my small WB canner and it's nice to be able to see when the water boils.

I'm sold on the Presto. If I don't find one in Amish country tomorrow I'm going to order one from Amazon when I get home. I did see one at one of our Wal-Mart's but it wasn't for stacking two rows of pints. I really need a bigger one for all of the big batches of soups I can.

I love my AA's, because they hold 14 quarts. You can't get a Presto that does that. I have two of the AA's that hold 14 quart jars and two of the 23 quart (7 quart jars) Prestos. I line them all up, so I am not canning 24/7. I am only 5ft. tall. The AA's are more of a challenge, but it's do-able and they save me tremendous time and fuel. If I am only doing a few, which is rare, or want to do just 40 or so pints, the Presto, holds about the same number of pints as the much larger AA, and I will use those. Heat isn't really a problem when putting the jars in or taking them out of the AA's. The canner isn't usually that hot when doing these tasks. They also make smaller AA's, than mine are. The AA doesn't need to have a seal replaced, so I like having those for emergencies. The weight is simple to use, although there is also a dial. The dial is good for letting you know everything is going OK. I use the 3 piece weights for my Presto and they are simple to use. Just leave the weight together for 15lbs. pressure, remove the bottom ring for 10lbs. pressure, and remove 2 rings for 5lbs. pressure....I think Amazon sells the Presto weights. They just unscrew. Good luck!

Thanks Mom11. You have me beat in the canning department!!! I'm only canning for one so I mostly can in pint jars. About the only thing I use quart jars for are tomatoes and sometimes a veggie mix. I make big batches of soup to can also spaghetti sauce etc. and my regular canner only holds 10 pints (I think) so I'm up all night canning sometimes. It's time to upgrade.

I've had my canner for over 30 years and I think I'm only on my 3rd. gasket so they don't bother me. I always keep a spare or two anyway. I didn't know about the weights coming apart. I thought you had to have a 5,10 AND 15 pound weight. Thanks for the info.

I didn't find the canner in Amish country today but I'm going to order it online in a few minutes. I'll get an extra set of weights and gasket.

It takes, for an example, two jars of pintos and ham, to feed my chicks...It really takes two days, to sort and soak beans, chop ham and onions, and can....Its just silly for me to do 7 quarts for 3.5 dinners. I try and find ways to keep organized and make the process go efficiently. My children help and we have done the all night thing and are not doing it anymore. I bought hams on sale a month ago. My daughter cut the ham into cubes and we measured and froze it all. Now I will spend a few days canning split pea soup, bean soup, and pintos and ham, but when we are done we will have at least 150 quarts....2 per meal and just these meals go a long way, especially as a prep item or at the end of a busy day. If I am canning for just myself, no way would I be doing all this. I don't see any reason to buy an AA, if you mostly do pints. Even the 14 quart canner, only holds 20 pints...The same amount as the 7 quart Presto and the Presto is lighter and cheaper. Mine work fine...I was just looking for a way to mass produce this stuff.

I hope you find a deal! Maybe Amazon Prime, with free shipping!

I ordered it from Amazon and got free shipping. I made some ham and veggie soup last fall and it was really good. I canned some ham chunks too and opened a jar and they were really good. When I have some more time, I'm going to use it to make ham and bean soup to can. I'll probably throw in a few carrots. Maybe a little celery. I'm itching to get canning again.

Glad you ordered the canner. It is the best deal around in my opinion.

Wish I was physically able to can right now. One of the recipes I want to use is the green, red pepper relish with onions. It is sweet and good ! From Small Batch preserving by Ellie Topps.

I want to make sugar free blueberry jam for myself. Then, I still have probably 35 lb. of dried pintos left.