MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

2017 is shaping up to be one terrible year....

I don't understand why this year has been so terrible so far....It is bad enough we could not get a refinance mortgage on my house (I own it free and clear) to purchase a place down south; our friends (and our hosts down here in Ga) 30 yr old son had to have bypass surgery due to a heart attack; their 28 yr old daughter has major physical illnesses nobody seems able to diagnose; now one of our beloved fur-babies just died in my arms. Little Petey was hit by a car 1 1/2 weeks ago, was doing fine, then suddenly started having breathing trouble and died enroute to the vet hospital in my arms. I tried mouth to snout breathing, but no avail.

I hate to bad mouth Southern doctors, but this is the 3rd time they have completely missed the boat....last winter they diagnosed a back vertebra injury in my back as hip bursitis, this year they diagnosed our friend's son as having pneumonia when he was actually having a heart attack, and now the vet completely messed up with Petie - diagnosing him as having a bad bruise and forgetting to remove his IV when they released him to us when he actually had a dislocated hip, torn ligaments and knee meniscus injury. I wonder if Petie would still be alive if they had not missed the boat and got it right the first time, and I'm becoming afraid of these docs down here.

Tomorrow we mourn.

Edited by kappydell

I'm so sorry about your pup, Kappydell! And your other "incidents?" I truly hope your year turns around and gets much better! As to docs, I don't trust any of them and feel I always need to do my own research. Too many problems with DH.

I hear you about the doctors. It is very frustrating to deal with most of them..and then their staffs..grrr

We have had a rocky 2017 too but it could have been worse. Several friends have died and DH has been sick.

I am so sorry you lost Petey. That is hard to bear.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, The WE2's said:

:sad-smiley-012:

Welllllllll..............we have a new fur baby, when another aussie pup became available because a mom & dad decided their 10 yr old was not responsible enough to raise the one they bought.  Whiskey Jack is black & white, and has a happy smile.  Now we are helping him adjust to all the turmoil of his 12 week life.  We suspect he was kept outdoors, or he was just ignored a lot because he is nervous and nippy, crate trained but not fully housebroken.  The cats puzzle him (they hiss, swat, and don't run away), and the parrot unnerves him (he stares and barks at her as she ignores him).  Jack acts just like a toddler in the throes of the "terrible twos" so he is keeping us hopping.  He shows progress almost daily so he has a place here. He is learning fast "no bite" and "play nice" (with the other dogs). He could never replace sweet Petie, as he is very much his own self, but will make an excellent playmate for Dodger and "da boys" once he sorts things out. 

• Like 3

Oh my, Jack... you are one handsome dude!!!!   :wub:

You can just see it in that cute little face that he is going to be fun!  :hapydancsmil:

Thank you for sharing his picture with us. May you have many many happy years together.  :hug3:

• 3 weeks later...

Jack is settling in nicely at home in Wis. Now that he has a yard to run around (and around, and around....) in he is much calmer and seems to focus better on learning things (like don't steal the cat food....don't dig up the garden.....etc.)  He does like water, so we put some in the kiddie pool, and he jumps in and out same as any kid!  Our vet seems to think he might have something else mixed in, as Aussies do not like water that much; maybe border collie?  but that's OK, he is still growing and his looks (leg length, etc) seem to change almost daily!  He is a good alarm dog - sounds off nicely when something catches his attention.

And Dodger and he are thick as thieves, chasing each other all over the yard, 'rassling around, and generally acting like kids.  We also introduced him to the neighbor's children, and he was a good (though hyper) boy. We are trying to socialize him a little, since he is so young.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on Jack - he is growing, has his grown up teeth (the urge to chew everything seems to be diminishing....) and was a hit at the vet when we went in for some puppy shots.  He sat on command to get weighed, sat & shook hands for treats, did not bark or yip when he heard others' doing it, and was generally very grown up and polite.  He is also losing the puppy nippiness when he gets excited.  I was amazed.....

On the sad side, our friends daughter down in Georgia lost a Chihuahua fur-baby to her neighbors pit-bull.  He broke the chair and ran next door to where the little guy was doing his business (on a tie out) before bed time, and snatched him up right in front of his mama.  Broke his back, many ribs and punctured his torso down to his heart.  Poor little guy did NOT deserve that end.   I will have my own 'bite stick' when we go back down, as pit bulls are popular down there, and the owners aren't always responsible enough to have one on hand, let alone control their animals. 

Edited by kappydell

a bite stick is a tool I read about on a pit bull site - they recommended all responsible owners have one on hand - it is a special shaped stick you insert in the pit bulls mouth when its jaws are locked s**t, and allows you to pry the jaws open with minimal injury to teeth, etc.  its sad when I consider getting one and I don't own a pit bull....

some people have used stun guns to bread a pit bulls grip only to find the pit bull figures out what happened and goes after the stun gun wielder....and throwing water in its face does not always work, though it worked for us when our dog Max was locked in a pit bulls' jaws.  (Hence the interest in finding out what was recommended for breaking a pits grip)

Horrid thing to have to think about.  I just talked to my neighbor who rescues pits.  Hers are always so sweet and she keeps them home in fenced large yard.  They can really be an awful dog tho too.  Sad....and scary.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Its not the dog, its the owners, I truly believe. They let the dog dominate them, instead of controlling poochie, then aggression usually follows against strangers.  ( I probably should not say anything, but I'm surprised the govt nannies have not yet required training & certification to own a pet.....Oh crap, now they'll try it.....Sorry)

and in true 2017 form, I just got back from my last surviving uncles funeral!  Good to see all the family, but under such sad circumstances...!  Now my 88 yr old father has no siblings left. 

Edited by kappydell