MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Green Tomatoes-Red Tomatoes- Frost?

Nightbird

We got a touch of frost on Sat. I know that you are not supposed to can any tomatoes that have been out in the frost because they lose some of their acidity.....But all the websites that I have found say that green tomatoes are alright to can because they are more acidic then red tomatoes to start with.

Ok so here's the question.... if I let these green tomatoes ripen will they be alright to can?.....Can the tomatoes be pressure canned instead of boiling-water-bathed? You pressure can other low acid veggies....just wondering.

I pick all of my green tomatoes at the first sign of frost and put them on trays in the garage where they ripen just fine. I had tons of green tomatoes and actually canned a few batches of salsa in November because so many ripened at the same time. I've never heard that about frost reducing the acidity of tomatoes before but I do know that it didn't affect the quality of the salsa I canned in November.

They should be picked before frost if you are going to can them regardless of them being pressure canned or BWB canned. They do lose acidity if they come off frost bitten or dead vines.

You can freeze them once ripened, though. That or make green tomato salsa or something with them if they are still green and not turning color yet.

The green tomato salsa is really good.

• 2 years later...

Archived