MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just one 'Jones' site

Gol---ly y'all, we might be kin!!! Let me tell you a good one... My 5th great grandfather Richard Jones had several children but I believe that my 4th great grandmother Elizabeth was the only girl... Anyway, Richard told Elizabeth that if she married "well" and to his liking that when he died he would leave her 50 pounds Sterling... Sooooo along comes my 4th great grandfather Richard Hodges and he seys to himself "Hmmm, 50 pounds!" So he married her and later her father Richard says "Since she married so "well", instead of leaving her 50 pounds, I'm going to leave her the same thing that I leave my sons." Well back then the only thing the daughters got was a bed and bedstead and the clothes that they wore, so this was a good deal... but, old Richard died and didn't leave her anything... He left all the sons property but left nothing to Elizabeth! So she and Richard Hodges, her husband, sued the estate and WON!!! But in order to win they had to pay witnesses to come back to Virginia from North and South Carolina and it cost them more than they got from the lawsuit... I guess it was just the principle and the satisfaction that they got from getting what was due them... Wonder why he thought that he had to "buy" a husband for her? Sorry this is so long!

Cute story SCMary.

When we were reading some of DH's family wills from the late 1700's we got a kick out of how women were treated. In one of them the hubby left his wife a guaranteed 8x10 space in their home. Of course, the house itself was left to his oldest son. Actually, I guess she did good for a woman of that era since he also instructed that the son provide her with a barrel of apples each year too.

When I first started doing geneaology I thought I'd never be able to track the Jones line down due to the common name, but it can be done!

I was able to find MY Jones relatives My Jones relatives can be traced back to NY. Charles Minor Jones was born abt. 1823 he married Lydia Malissa Perry of NY. Their son James Corcket Jones was my g-g-grandfather. He murdered his wife Isora Overacher. So it was a huge scandal and in the papers and there are criminal records. I have transcripts of the trial and everything. They were married in NE and then all the families moved to ID. It is amazing what you can find once you know where to look! Isora was born in Rome township, Jones Co, IA. I found them all in the 1860 IA Census! These families moved around together apparently as was so common in those days. The brother married one of her sisters, and ended up raising the children.

*Just noting that this is MY post that the names got messed up long ago when we had the board crash Becca_Anne)

Edited by Becca_Anne
Attribution to correct poster
  • 2 weeks later...

Becca Anne, I thought you might get a kick out of this...

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I went searching for an ancestor, I cannot find him still.

He moved around from place to place, and didn’t leave a will.

He married where a courthouse burned, he mended all his fences.

He avoided any man who came to take the U. S. Census.

He always kept his luggage packed, this man who had no fame.

And every 20 years or so, this rascal changed his name.

His parents came from Europe, they should be on some list

Of passengers to the USA, but somehow they were missed.

And no one else in this world is searching for this man,

So I’m playing ‘Gene-Solitaire’, to find him if I can.

I’m told he’s buried in a plot, with tombstone he was blessed.

But the weather took the engraving, and vandals took the rest.

He died before the county clerks decided to keep records.

No family Bible has emerged, in spite of all my efforts.

To top it off, this ancestor, who caused me so many groans

Just to give me one more pain, betrothed a girl named JONES!!!

Snowmom- I have a Frank Benton Jones, brother of James Crockett Jones b. 1882 in my family Hmmm..... there has to be a connection somewhere in there- Benton County is only 2 counties north of where my family was located in Freemont County at the time of the 1880 IA census.

My Jones family lived in Sidney, Freemont, IA at that time.

• 6 years later...

When I first started doing geneaology I thought I'd never be able to track the Jones line down due to the common name, but it can be done!

I was able to find MY Jones relatives My Jones relatives can be traced back to NY. Charles Minor Jones was born abt. 1823 he married Lydia Malissa Perry of NY. Their son James Corcket Jones was my g-g-grandfather. He murdered his wife Isora Overacher. So it was a huge scandal and in the papers and there are criminal records. I have transcripts of the trial and everything. They were married in NE and then all the families moved to ID. It is amazing what you can find once you know where to look! Isora was born in Rome township, Jones Co, IA. I found them all in the 1860 IA Census! These families moved around together apparently as was so common in those days. The brother married one of her sisters, and ended up raising the children.

Guess I don't know how to use this yet. Hope you're still out there. Recently began checking out my Jones family. I too am related to Charles Minor Jones and Lydia Malissa Perry. I come through their daughter Anna Belle who married Joseph Warren Weeter. Wondering if you are interested in sharing information on the family. Would love to see the transcripts of James' trial and learn where he died. I have deaths and marriages of most of the other siblings.

Paul

HELLO2.jpg

Back in the 2004, all of our names or most of the names got mixed up, for a while, in the site move. I think the Becca_Anne is really the HapyGirl and I know I am the Logcabinmama, but, I am really Snowmom. :)

Anyway, I have 'Jones' in my family, but, don't know as any of them go with your Jones. Have you ever tried 'USGENWEB.COM? only they are all small letters. http://usgenweb.com That should get you there.

Let me know if you find anything that helps. :)

HAVEAGREATDAYSNOWFLAKES.gifCHRISTMASHUGS1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes, looking for "Jones" connections. I have 2 of 'em - same family. I have an Allen Jones, born about 1810 (give or take) in Tennessee, who married Mary Jane Love in Sumner County Tennessee. They had several kids but went to Butler Co. KY by 1859, when my great-grandmother, Margaret E Jones was born. Then, Wiley Jones, born about 1820 (again, give or take) also in Sumner Co Tennessee married Mary E Neal. They had several boys until her death before 1870, including my great-grandfather, Isaac A Jones. Wiley remarried at least once, but stayed in Sumner County, Tennessee.

I know Mary Jane Love's father's name was William Love and her mother was Polly. Found that on Mary Jane's death record from Butler County, KY. I'm pretty sure Mary E Neal was the daughter of Britton Jones Neal and Elizabeth McNeely, all of Sumner County TN. It would seem Britton, middle name Jones, has his own "Jones" connection.

And, lucky me, Margaret Jones, daughter of Allen and Mary Jane, marries Isaac Jones, daughter of Wiley and Mary. I can't get back further on Allen and Wiley or Britton Jones Neal. Can't find anymore on William Love or wife, Polly. One Sumner County census has him married to Margaret. Assume it's same guy, but who knows.

Witnesses/bondsmen for Allen and Mary Jane were Rich Charlton and William Wright. For Wiley and Mary it was William Campbell. There's a connection in all this somewhere, but so far, it's eluded me.

• 4 months later...

Paul, I'm also from Anna Belle and Joseph Warren. I have a cousin who is working on the Jones line. We both would love to share information with you. My grandfather bought the Weeter home that Anna Belle bought in Provo, Utah when they first moved there. That house is still in the family.

Hope to hear from you!

Melody

Guess I don't know how to use this yet. Hope you're still out there. Recently began checking out my Jones family. I too am related to Charles Minor Jones and Lydia Malissa Perry. I come through their daughter Anna Belle who married Joseph Warren Weeter. Wondering if you are interested in sharing information on the family. Would love to see the transcripts of James' trial and learn where he died. I have deaths and marriages of most of the other siblings.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

GOODMORNING4DOGS.gif

Since there are new 'Jones' people on here, I am going to say again, I am also from the 'Jones' and my gr-gr-grandfather was one of several kids. He and some of his brothers swam across the Ohio river to get away from their Uncle who had slaves and treated them badly. My gr-gr-grandfather ended up in Ohio, but they got sepreated and I don't know any more from there back. He was born in: Louisville (Jefferson Co.) Kentucky, December 25, 1808. He died: 24 Feb 1886, in Waynesburg, Indiana. He married: Elizabeth Sidwell as well as her sister, Eleanor Sidwell, after Elizabeth died. They, Horace and Elizabeth had 9 children. My grandfather was Thomas Benton Jones who was married to, Sarah Ann Scott.

Does any of this sound like something that has been passed down to you?

haveagooddaywithflowers.gifHUGSMOUSEINSUGAR.gif

• 4 months later...

My brother sent this to me today. Any of the names look familiar to you other Jones'?

Edgar Fred Jones Plano, IAB. 21 Sep 1914D. 3 Oct 1988Buried in Whittier, CA

Lars Jones B. 29 Sep 1917 in Wayne Co.D. 13 Jan 1994Buried-Temple, TX

Fred Milton Jones in Appanoose County, IowaB. 10 Jan 1888D. 19 Jul 1971Buried in Jones Cemetery in Wayne Co. , Iowa

Newton JasperB. 26 Nov 1847 in Putnam County, IndianaD. 10 Oct 1888Buried-unknown

William R. Jones in Putnam County, IndianaB. 27 Mar 1826D. ?Buried-?

William Jones B. 13 Aug 1796D. 9 Aug 1872Buried-Jones Cemetery in Wayne Co.

William JonesB. 14 Apr 1748 in KentuckyD. 19 Jul 1821

Sylvia Jones B. 7 Apr 1878 in Wayne Co.D. 4 Mar 1970

Guy E. JonesB. 26 Apr 1882 in Wayne Co.D. ?

Ida M. JonesB. 20 Jan 1867

Matilda JonesB. 5 May 1868 in Wayne Co.

William R. Jones (twin to George)B. 15 Apr 1870D. 12 Jun 1924

George B. Jones (twin to William R)B. 15 Apr 1870 in Wayne Co.

John Walter JonesB. 25 Feb 1873D. 11 Jun 1948

Newton Jasper Jones Jr.B. 20 Apr 1876D. 31 Jul 1921

Belinda Caroline JonesB. 28 Oct 1818 in KentuckyD. 2 Feb 1901

Milton Green Jones in KentuckyB. 26 Mar 1822D. 11 Oct 1906Buried in Jones Cemetery Wayne Co.

Louise Jane JonesB. 26 Feb 1824 in KentuckyD. 8 Jan 1904Buried in Jones Cemetery

• 2 weeks later...

Doing genealogy for the Jones family is nuts and I've got 2 Jones lines and maybe a third. Both mine were in Sumner County TN about 1810 and one set stayed there while the others headed north to Butler County KY. You'd think I could find more on them since they were pretty settled in Sumner Co at least from 1810 through 1860 but noooooooo.

And there a ton of "Love" families who seem to be related from the NC/TN region so you'd think I could find parents for my William Love, born about 1800 probably in Sumner County, some mention, clue, hint but nooooooo. And of course, one of the Jones boys married the Love girl and they meander off to KY while the other Jones boy marries a Neal girl (also of Sumner Co) and stays in Sumner County. I don't know if these two Jones boys are related - I hope not because the Kentucky couple has a daughter who marries a son of the Sumner Co Jones. Oh yeah and Mary Neal's father's name is "Britton JONES Neal" suggesting yet another Jones family tie.

So Dee your information is heavy on an Iowa connection with some Kentucky, right? I'd be interested in finding out where in Kentucky they are. I don't have any of my direct Jones ancestors heading to Iowa. My grandfather's move to southeast Missouri was as far west as they went, at least as far as my line is concerned.

One thing I did notice with my Jones clans: a couple of very Welsh names spelled phonetically, eg "Urildia" which I think would be closer to "Yrilda" in Welsh, along with a 'Gladys'.

:cheeky-smiley-067:

My Jones line is in IA too, but not seeming to be connected at all to Dee's. I also have Sumner Co, KY family, but not the Jones line I have Sumner relatives there. My Jones family came from NY with the Charles Minor Jones line. I found them by connecting to my Overacher line and looking for them and there my Jones family was in Rome township, IA. That has been the key for me when looking for the common names, find someone in the line without a common name and look for them first. Some things will likely never get sorted out but it sure is fun!

• 1 month later...

I had Jones from Iowa and they had come from IN. But, the first on we can find is from KY. Then we don't have anything before Horace Lee Jones. I've said it before, but, he and 3 brothers ran away from an uncle who was a slave owner. The uncle was very mean and the boys swam the Ohio River to get away from the uncle. This message was on the back of a picture. Also, we don't have any names of the brothers.

But, at one time, Becca had a picture in here and one of the men looked so much like my Uncle Cary Jones. Cary was his nick name.

Would be great to find more on the Jones family. :)

Snow