MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sodastream, Scotchgard and Static Guard

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! Son came through with the book I HAD to have. It even had a bonus CD in it. Nice surprise. I'm lovin' Keith Richards. :wub:

I was wondering if anyone here got or has one of those soda making machines? I think they are called Sodastream. If so, do you like it? It makes carbonated beverages. It looks kind of neat and I do like carbonated drinks. I have a gift certificate for Bed Bath and Beyond that is burning a hole in my pocket.

Also, I finally found a purse that I like at Wal-Mart for $5.00. Woo-Hoo. The only thing is it attracts lint, fuzz and hair from a mile away. It's like a big fuzz magnate. It really looks bad almost right after I 'comb' it. I was wondering if something like Scotchgard would work. I didn't want to buy a can of it for one spray and then have it not work. I was also thinking about Static Guard. Anyone have any ideas what would work on it? I think the protectant is going to cost more than the purse.

I've owned a SodaStream (I know it better as Soda Club) since almost the very beginning when it was known in the RV and Boat communities as a way to avoid carrying cases of cans and disposing of same. The CO2 cartridges were twice as big and the syrup bottles were $2.99. <sigh> You could also find them online and it was a pretty good deal. All that changed when the name changed to SodaStream.

I don't know what's going on these days, capitalism at its best/worst I guess. The prices for the regular sysrups (Diet Coke being the most popular I think) have jumped to $5.97 to $9.99 each at BB&B and Wal-Mart the two places I buy from regularly now. Those are the prices I will stop buying. And Wal-Mart seems to have stopped stocking the shelves so something is up.

I love my 'SodaStream' and would normally continue to highly recommend it, but the prices today are questionable and IMHO greedy and the units themselves are becoming 'trendy'. If you have the money for it and can afford the supplies, then do it to avoid dealing with recycling bottles and cans. The refill exchange on the CO2 has been about $15, half the price of a new boxed cartridge. I find it intriguing that the've come out with an even smaller cartridge. I'm concerned the greedy posture will continue at which point I will jump off.

Thanks Virginia! Since I already have hairspray here, I'll try that.

Canned, I thought they were pretty expensive too. The gift certificate would about cover the least expensive machine and a co2 cartridge. I thought they could also be used to make plain carbonated water with a splash lemon or a lime. Speaking of splash, I saw where you can buy the V8 Splash syrup. I really like the mango peach bottled Splash. It tastes better than it sounds. Also I could always have a ginger ale type drink at the ready for flu season and upset stomachs in general. I'm going to check out the syrups on line a little further. I think I'm gonna go for it. Especially since there is nothing else I really need from BB&B.

The gift certificate would about cover the least expensive machine and a co2 cartridge.

That's a pretty good gift certificate. Go for it IMO.

There are many DIY Syrups showing up on the Internet now because of the higher prices, if you search. Not as concentrated as the SodaStream but useable and perhaps cheaper. The SodaStream is 'only' to make the sparkling water. The flavoring is added after-the-fact so allow your imagination to go wild, Also think about the Torani and Snowcone syrups.

I bought a 2nd cartridge after awhile so I had something when the first went empty and time passed before a replacement was obtained.

The gift certificate is for $100.00 so I could get the $80.00 machine and a co2 cartridge and by the time I paid the tax, that would about cover it. The nearest BB&B is about 45 minutes away so I'll probably head out there next week or so.Thanks for your feedback. :bouquet:

Your first cartridge will be $30-$35 and don't forget sales tax so have some money on hand to spend. You might want to buy a couple bottles of syrup too since your initial purchase will only contain samples.

What I love most about the SodaStream is you control the amount of carbonation. I'm a '3' Splat/Burp person which you will understand more of when you use the unit. Others like the bubbles-up-the-nose and go to a '5'. And of course you also control the amount of syrup used.

I'm just so sad that prices have gone so high.

Amusing. It is that time of year, where I have to do the statistics. Then I see this post...

I saw a lot of hits for people searching for 'soda' :bev: via the online search engine on the public accessible section of the Librum. I wonder how many of them is from people who have those machines, and are looking for more economical means.

For those interested in making their own 'soda' water and syrups, grab a 'checkout' copy of MFE, it's free. Monograph on Flavoring Extracts, 1891.

Not to drum up sales, just the opposite.

Amazing how tastes have changed over the years. Some of those are 'yucks' to me. :sigh:

Sarah.

I'd imagine the rise in 'soda' hits is probably from people who got one of those machines for Christmas. Or people who saw others who did get one. Or people who gave one as a gift. :shrug:

Speaking of changes...decades ago cocaine was one of the ingredients in Coca-Cola and it was sold as a medicine. Makes one wonder what common products we use today that future generations will gasp at.

Printed? You 'lost' me there. I do not think I want to know.

Speaking of changes...decades ago cocaine was one of the ingredients in Coca-Cola and it was sold as a medicine. Makes one wonder what common products we use today that future generations will gasp at.

Future? Umm... I would say present.

OK, I know I should not be reviewing trends, and should be sanitizing the statistics, but some are so 'jump into your face' that I can't help but notice.

We see a lot of hits for folks looking to find alternates to 'modern' stuff. Examples: caffeine, crystal sugar (useage ratios of honey, sorghum, stevia, etc), nicotine (herbal alternates), poly glycol...

I love my 'job'.

Sarah

LOL Sarah. Printed food......yes, really! Thru machines that use the principle of ink printers but can be any size and lay down layer after layer of any material of the right consistency. From teeny-tiny to industrial sized HUGE. Think of oozing frosting out of a tube. Anything from cement to plastics to....."food" goo.

MtRider ....some wonderful applications but...... :lois:

We have a soda stream. We love it when we can find the real sugar cola syrup. It's about the only one without artificial sweetener. Like Canning Nerd said, the syrup goes in after you carbonate. I hadn't had my coffee one morning and did it reversed a few months ago. I'm still finding cola splatter on the kitchen walls. Also if your water is really cold, it will get ice in it when you carbonate it. I found out when I used water close to the freezer part of my small fridge. I haven't tried making my own syrup, but then again I never thought about it.

I get those coupons all the time too. That's how I plan to buy syrups. They are dated so if you use them by a certain date you get $5.00 off and at another date you get $10.00 off. I'll have to pay better attention. Actually, I usually get 2. One comes for 'resident' and one comes with my name on it.

I got my machine today. :bev:

I picked up an extra co2 cartridge and extra bottles. I got 2 boxes of the assorted single size servings so I can try out different kinds without committing to a full size bottle of something I may not like. Of course I'm getting company tonight so I'll wait until tomorrow to play with it. I'll probably be the most hydrated person on my block this month.

Congratulations. I hope you enjoy the experience. Just make sure to experiment with different levels of carbonation to find the level you like the most. Also make sure you add the syrup to the bottle at an angle to avoid agitating the bubbles.

Thanks for the advise. I found some 'recipes' online. Two of the sites are for Pinterest and I don't have an account there so I can't see what all is there but it's probably interesting.

http://recipes.sodastream.com/recipes/
https://www.pinterest.com/sandrandan/sodastream-recipes/
https://www.pinterest.com/lagorytwins/sodastream-recipes-and-ideas/