MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tattler Lid Fail

WARNING IF THE WORD S.O.B. OFFENDS YOU THEN DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO!

These two videos are very important for anyone to watch who cans with Tattler lids. It's graphic but not gory. They are by the same guy. I like his videos a lot. In fact, I've canned a couple of his recipes. If you use these lids please watch.

OK I watched both...and continued to watch Mrs. Volfie and BexarPrepper. When I first saw him lift that "hissing" jar from his canner I knew what was going to happen when he tightened it down :-( Also, he didn't mention if he was re-using these lids or gaskets. If the lids were convex he should have never have used them. The only two times I've ever had a Tattler fail was when I watched some "pro canner" video saying to "tighten and then back off" when you first put the ring on. I think I even posted it around here somewhere that I was really irritated at myself for following some unproven method I watched on youtube. I've always given them a thumb tight (which to me is using only my thumb and forefinger) and then when I live them from the canner, I give them a tighter twist. As MyHalfAcre Homestead and BexarPrepper (and many others) will testify...the "name brands" that we've grown up with aren't any good any more. They put a think gasket on them, then put them on the jars, then tighten down the rings, and then vacuum seal the box in plastic. Your lids are already used before you even begin :-) I buy ALL my lids and rings from the Mennonite store we shop at...they're made in Arkansas. The gaskets are very thick and I've had very few jars that didn't seal...and again, I'm sure it was my fault for either overfilling the jar or not cleaning off the rim enough. Just giving my own experiences here. I'm glad Tattler got back with him so quickly and was able to give him proper procedures for using their product. I'm betting maybe they sent him some free ones? Oh...as a ps...I am buying and putting back a supply ofTattler's to use when I can't get the other lids :-)

Edited by The WE2's

Agreed We2. I watch BexarPrepper too and My Half Acre did one using regular canning lids. She kept smelling vinegar and seeing fruit flies and discovered one of the lids on a jar of canned apple...something, was missing. Just gone! I don't think the new lids are as good gasket wise either.

Sarah, I don't really think it was 'justice' for him to be scalded when he followed the package directions. It doesn't say anything about the shape of the lid when you remove it from the canner or tighten it down. Perhaps he should have suspected something wasn't quite right but Tattlers are fairly new around here and he is an experienced canner. Would I have done the same thing? Probably not. But with out proper instructions it could happen to anyone and I'm glad he caught it on tape and shared an embarrassing moment. Thank God his children weren't close by or his dog laying at his feet.

???

He pulled a jar from the bath with the dimple up?

Justice.

If you mean that justice was served by him getting burned for him using a lid that looked off, that is a HATEFUL comment!

Sarah, I don't really think it was 'justice' for him to be scalded when he followed the package directions. It doesn't say anything about the shape of the lid when you remove it from the canner or tighten it down. Perhaps he should have suspected something wasn't quite right but Tattlers are fairly new around here and he is an experienced canner. Would I have done the same thing? Probably not. But with out proper instructions it could happen to anyone and I'm glad he caught it on tape and shared an embarrassing moment. Thank God his children weren't close by or his dog laying at his feet.

Exactly! I don't know if I would have either, BUT they are plastic & when plastic is treated with heat, they tend to form & bow. So, yeah, I MIGHT have experimented. There's also a chance I may not have even noticed. Does that mean I deserve getting burned? No.

Wait a minute here please. Not justice in being scalded, no, but justice in that he should have known better, Frankly, he got off light.

I often shake my head at 'experts' giving out outdated and dangerous 'gospel'. I live in an environment that is more resistant to innovation, so perhaps I am more sensitive to this.

A quickie history lesson.

-Originally 'jars' were glass on glass sealed. A 'water trap' or grease seal gave it a air tight seal. This is still the technology used in chemical laboratories, using chemically inert Vaseline or KY. Rubber introduces other chemicals.

-Then came the glass dome clamp down jars, with separate rubber rings. These would commonly 'erupt', causing many injuries. Especially as folks often had to struggle to clamp and unclamp. The rubber rings lost their 'volitiles' and become brittle. One 'slicked' the rings before use to compensate. In fact you bought them in a light oil, and I was taught to never buy 'dry' rings. And lets not overlook the imperfect glass rims.

-Glass dome was replaced with flat clamp down glass. This was to compensate for the glass edge issues. The flat disk were easier to grind to finer tolerances. The rubber rings became partially synthetic.

-Atlas introduced the flat metal lid, with a dimpled rim, so that you knew which side to put to the jar glass edge. No rubber, but oil/wax/etc. This was a wartime issue (WWI?), rubber was scarce. There was also a media/press 'scare' of poisoning, as some folks used shellac to slick. Do you remember folks wax dipping sealed jars? This was to combat the rubber drying out. Same time period.

-Universal developed a rubber dip that you would dip the whole lid in. This is in response to the scare.

-Atlas developed the fixed rubber to lid.

-Ball introduced the 'button' lid, and 'perfected' the synthetic fixed rubber. But Ball lids of this day were dangerous in another way, razor sharp. People wore gloves. I still do.

-(psst... There is, in development, a new plastic lid with pop-up, which much less heat sensitive. It uses a brush on, then melt in bath seal.)

In the video, the lid is clearly misshapen. Heat warped. He should have known better due to history and common sense. But perhaps you are right. Perhaps another trip down memory lane will save some folks from injury.

Sarah

Amendment. We are still very much 'can' people, real cans. People have often asked me why this is. While the 'cheap' home canning using jars has come a long way, it is not, in our elders views, perfected. Canned goods are much safer in so many ways. But I will concede, cost is a major factor to the 'home canner'.

Edited by Sarah
  • 4 months later...

As MyHalfAcre Homestead and BexarPrepper (and many others) will testify...the "name brands" that we've grown up with aren't any good any more. They put a think gasket on them, then put them on the jars, then tighten down the rings, and then vacuum seal the box in plastic. Your lids are already used before you even begin :-) I buy ALL my lids and rings from the Mennonite store we shop at...they're made in Arkansas.

Since this was mentioned here, I thought I would ask...is anyone still using the lids that come on the jars? Or do you toss them and use new ones?

I have used the ones that came on the jars in the past and not had any issues. But this and having seen BexarPreper's video made we wonder.

I've always used the lids that come with the canning jars with no problems. Honestly, I can't remember the last lid sealing failure I've had and I bought a lot of new wide mouth pint jars last year for soups. I bought Ball jars and a few Kerr jars with no problems with either one.

I should add that occasional jar sealing failure is normal but for some reason I don't have very many. Pure luck I'm sure.

I've had several fail to seal's this past few months and I'm not sure why, other than the lids are in a plastic sleeve and perhaps old? Anyway...I keep the lids that don't seal, wash them up and let them air dry and try to use them for vacuum sealing. Keeping my Tattler's for a time when I might not be able to buy the metal ones. Bexarprepper (or I'mstillworkin'?) made mention that there was a time when lots of people were putting up their produce etc., and lids and rings were hard to find, so I'm keeping my Tattler's for the typical "just in case" or for foods that I'll rotate very quickly, especially soups.

I remember so well when lids and rings were very hard to find. It was right around 1976. We couldn't find them anywhere and when the word got out, women began to hoard them. Forget about borrowing any. If I remember correctly ( :008Laughing:) it was about the time Carter was in office and we were going to h3ll in a hand basket and lots of people started gardening and canning again. Fortunately my MIL had plenty of jars stored up. Sometimes we still had to use old spaghetti sauce jars and old coffee jars to water bath with. It was my first year of canning and we were dirt poor but my inlaws plowed up their entire back yard and we gardened! We also picked berries, apples, pears, cherries and gathered black walnuts. They even bought us a freezer to help preserve food. My son and I stayed with them the whole summer while husband stayed in school. That was the year MIL passed around laundry baskets at Christmas to the family and told them to fill them up for husband and me. She was a character. I learned soooo much from my MIL.

Oh what a blessing it must have been to have MIL like her! My MIL from 1st hubby just had a few chickens and some tomato plants etc. So I didn't learn anything from her to speak of. What I learned I learned from living on a farm with my Mom (and Dad when he wasn't on the road) and by learning the hard way. It was good to have books etc., too :-)

My FIL grew up on a farm and both of them grew up during the depression. My mother didn't even teach me how to mop a floor when I was growing up. She even cleaned my room. She was a perfectionist.

It's funny how the same thing can effect people differently. My inlaws came up during the depression and knew how to get by, save and how to do things. My side of the family grew up at the same time yet they were totally opposite. My grandmother raised seven kids during the depression, in town, and by the time I knew her she was very wasteful.

I remember my MIL took a full size mattress and cut it down to a twin size for my son. She had to use bolt cutters. LOL. She took my ratty old lamp shades and covered them with burlap and some trim and made them look like new. If she didn't know how to do something...she tried it anyway. I knew them since I was 14. Yep, I was really blessed to have had both of them in my life.

I'm going to continue to use the ones on the jars too. I just hate to waste them.

I've not gotten any Tattlers yet, but when I do, I will be putting them aside for just in case like WE2.

Ya'll are very lucky to have such great in-laws. Mine would be useless to us if SHTF.

I had forgotten about this thread.

Yes, Jeepers, in the seventies there was a false scarcity of lids. We here at the Librum are working on the ILL ATOCI (think index) for Countryside and Small Stock Journal magazine from that time period. The uproar! I kept getting 'sucked in' and reading more than indexing.

Well, you ladies can have a laugh at me. I thought I had 'scored' on 'pull top' lids for standard cans. Lesson: Do not process with water over the lid top, it can weaken the pull top lip. They may implode. I lost three out of fourteen.

Sarah