MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hot Dog Rocks?

So I've been putting up a lot of ground beef rocks (dehydrated cooked ground beef) and it got me thinking. I have a whole whack of chicken franks in my freezer (I like to chop them up and use them in casseroled during hard times) and, wanting a shelf stable way to preserve just about everything, I was thinking, why not slice them up (maybe a little thinner than usual) and make rocks out of them?! Anyone tried this before? I'm thinking I'll give it a go when my dehydrator is free (I have sour cream going right now then I have celery, garlic and ground turkey in line first) and see how it goes with one pound before I go ahead and do the rest of the 10 or so pounds I've got in there. Any thoughts?

There is way too much fat in them is why.... I dehydrate hamburger, cooked up in little bits and drain the grease, first, but hotdogs have like 90% fat. It is not officially reccomended for Safety of food to do hamburger either,but I can dehydrate stick it in a plastic mayo jar in my freezer and take out what I need for camping trip meals then when it's time to go, but it's on me , responsibility wise. Hot Dog, just well........ew....

Salami or summer sausage ( they are dried during curing process) you can pack with for a couple days ok ,, usually if its not having the sun beat down on it, but hot dogs need to be cooled or frozen to keep.

I did just go buy some hot dogs, lol, but they will be refrigerated... and I found a nifty igloo cooler bag I can actually use for my sock knitting there at the dollar store. It even sort of has a pretty print and very durable and lined inside. Just the right size.

I've heard they go mushy if you can them. It's OK, I guess we'll just have to eat them up before we unplug, then it just won't be something to stock up on. I finished my meal plan (doing Wendy DeWitt's food storage method) without any hotdog meals.

I (just me personally) never dehydrate meats...I buy them already done. As much dehydrating as I've done, meats is not something I'm comfy with doing. As for your hot dogs...we just finished canning a batch of vegetable soup and I put kabaiska sausage in them. We've also canned kobaiska by itself. Check out Perbain's youtube channel (she's not been on for awhile but is so worthy of watching her stuff) where she cans sausage link type meat. If you can the hot dog without cutting them up, they'll swell perhaps but just don't put too many in a jar. I watched PrairieFox (I think that's his youtube ID, but he cans this type of meat, and put them in whole, around the outside of the quart jar, and then slices one and puts the halves down the center. Just ALWAYS remember, when you can meats...go by the Ball Blue Book recommendations for pressure for your area and time. There's some people who take their lives in their own hands when they can meats. No meats go into my canner without being pressure cooked for 90 minutes minumum...even my soups go the 90 because they have 8 slices of sausage in each quart jar. I'm sure Violet is around some place and is an excellent resource for canning. She's sure encourage me a time or two! :-)

Ive canned hot dogs- they work OK but you have to cut them about 3 inches long or they split. Still edible (I don't care if they split) but some folks would care about the looks. If you are looking for a change from hamburger rocks. pressure cooked chicken with fat removed dehydrates well. Why pressure cooked? Because it rehydrates kinda hard & chewy unless pressure cooked prior to dehydrating.

pressure cooked chicken with fat removed dehydrates well. Why pressure cooked? Because it rehydrates kinda hard & chewy unless pressure cooked prior to dehydrating.

I am going to try that! I dehydrated a boiled chicken breast and that is exactly what we found, way too hard and chewy to be palatable! I am going to have to try this! I so much prefer to store things dehydrated if I can, we tend to be rather nomadic so lighter and less space is gooood LOL.

Hmm... Not available to me, for ethnic reasons, but does somebody have a recipe for 'vienna' sausages to work from? I know the 'english' style of making 'pate' and then casing that, can be canned and jarred. Isn't that what your standard dogs are, pate? Our sausages are dryed and hung. Think 'headcheese'. Sorry.

Sarah