MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

PC electric plate, glass top stove

If an answer can be found, it'd be here.

At the BOL I have an electric two-plate device. It cooks pretty fast.

Scored a kitchen on FB recently and this "new" kitchen will be installed this year. But it has a glass top plate to cook on.

Waterbath canning is no problem. Either on the plate or in the humongous washkettle in the washhouse. It holds about 90liter so I'm fine there with waterbath canning.

Pressure canning is another matter.

It seems PCs can't be used on a flat top glass stove. Okay, how about the small electric plate?

Anyone?

One of the things people do when they have glass top stoves in America and are 'canners,' is they can get something like CGA suggested, but a lot get a stove top, two or three burner ( propane based ) RV type stove ( caravan type?) ( Recreational vehicle , as we know them to be, trailers and camper stoves), and mount it in a home built , possibly rolling cabinet, or table top with legs that are sturdy and level. We can use outside in the heat of summer, to do canning, sort of create an area that is an outdoor kitchen with it , to do canning.

It is only dependent on decent parts and is independent from electricity , so it is handy for emergencies that cut out electric power too. It is important to have ventilation,but I know I survived my childhood campers and trailers even in the coldest weather with one used daily and at night as a heat source in many cases. So if you use it inside, make sure you have a window open to reduce carbon monoxide.

An online camping supply store may be an asset for you that is able to ship to you where you are. Also, if your country has amazon.com access per your country, they carry the camper stoves too. You would only need to find a supplier of propane for your propane bottles locally. Obviously you want to store them properly outside your residence so they are sheltered from weather and too much heat, also ventilation of the structure they are in is important since you are dealing with gas. No smoking within 50 feet, etc. Or other flame source.

Thank you for thinking along. I have a two flame smaller campingas burner but it doesn't get that high.

Things need a lot of time fora large canner to build enough heat.

https://www.buurtlink.nl/buurten/schilderswijk-1/marktplaats/campingasstel-campingchef

Similar but without the lower part. It stands alone bottom near the table.

Propane is easy to buy there cos it's still rural.

I can't really afford a new shiny lovely Pressure Canner now but a girl can but dream eh? :)

I looked at it, no, that is not what I am talking about. Do you have a commercial Recreational Vehicle supplier somewhere in said country or Europe that supplies your country where you would purchase? I am talking about the type of camping stove top that is permanently supplied in a camper or trailer or large RV.

Like this one. You just mount it in a cut out table top or cabinet set up to hold the propane and lines for it. It just drops in , basically.

http://www.amazon.com/Atwood-56494-Stainless-Steel-2-Burner/dp/B004LEP844/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426608405&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+two+burner+stove+top

Got it not-Arby-anymore-Sassenach :)

Hmm funds may hamper my plans. It'd be a pity not to use the great secondhand but new to me kitchen.

It'd be used for cooking yes but this year the garden ought to produce enough to can can can.

Now, where to PS on?

You need to check the BTUs on the stove to know if it will be hot enough. The cast iron ones usually are about 15000 BTUs per ring. They run about $50 or so here for the double ring stove. It doesn't look like you have Amazon in the Netherlands. There is one in the UK, but I don't know about shipping or anything.

Alternatively, you might find an older propane stove that you can set up in an out building for a backup cooking source. Is there a store that carries reconditioned used appliances or perhaps someone wants to get rid of one that the oven doesn't work but the burners do and would like it hauled off?

Exactly that they don't need a gasket ring is why I looked at them GCA. Thinking long term and spare parts.

I'll look into an old gas stove back in Germany. Can't see much else happening.

Second hand importing still means tax sadly. Maybe less and I'm a bit afraid to buy a second hand PC. Never know if it's good and I might not be able to find spare parts or a way to test it.

I'm only familiar with the 3 brands I mentioned. I've had all of them and the AA is definitely my favorite. I gave the others away.

I don't really know how things work with shipping and taxes to Europe, but I found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PRESTO-01755-PRESSURE-CANNER-COOKER-16-QUART-WITH-GUAGE-NEW-IN-BOX-SALE/110443186087?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140328180637%26meid%3D2ecd6ce0f43547f7982a0c237f6a8bb0%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D261815323946

Does anyone else find it remarkable that a pressure canner costing $72.99 from North Carlolina will cost an extra $50.76 for shipping and $20.11 for import charges? That's $70.87 just for shipping and import on a $72.99 canner.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PRESTO-01755-PRESSURE-CANNER-COOKER-16-QUART-WITH-GUAGE-NEW-IN-BOX-SALE/110443186087?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140328180637%26meid%3D2ecd6ce0f43547f7982a0c237f6a8bb0%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D261815323946

Ok, Christy, most of us just use the weighted gauge systems now, and I can tell you, around here, places to get pressure gauges tested with annually certified equipment , say an agricultural extenstion office, have been closing down in recent years. Budget situations from the Top Down, I think is the reason.

Maybe one of our canning experts or someone that has better memory recall than me can show you a link to the piece I mean. It is about 3 pieces of metal, and they are made to fit different brands of canners, so that matters if you have to order one. , Increments in weight are related to elevation you are canning at. It is just simply put on the little pipe that is open for air venting on the Presto canners . I use 10 lbs. I also left my pressure gauge on too, so it's available to get testing.

With the weight on the place it is supposed to be, once pressure is built up, it makes my gauge read 11lbs any way. I only use two of the weights on mine for under 1000 feet elevation.

Shipping costs have gone up over here too.... this is through our main carriers like UPS or FEDEX or the US Postal Service.

If you can't find something very important and of decent quality nearby, this is what we may end up doing to make sure we have something. It will last many many years if properly used and maintained, so what is that worth to you?

I consider a pressure canner , important essential equipment, so I would pay for that , even if it meant I had to save up for it, then do it.

Even if I move to living in a truck and trailer, that canner is going to be in a cabinet inside it , somewhere. It is something very valuable over the years.

( Its been so long since I canned, dear experts....) Is this what gets removed for venting during cool down process? ( I need to go make coffee, too. I just woke up )

Anyway, it is a 'loose part', and there is an official industry name , instead of what we call it.

This needed for ordering unless someone has it bookmarked and can show you with a link, please?

I just clean it and put it inside the canner when everything is put away after a canning session.

I swear I am not as dumb as this makes me sound, lol.

The shipping and import costs are what they are in today's economy, and all I know is , they are all getting worse due to factors beyond our own individual control of course, so how important is a canner to you? I know how important it is to me and most folks here that can and see the value in it being able to safely store food for their basic needs and emergencies for a much longer time than the more ancient methods.

Even if I change to truck and trailer living, my canner will be one kitchen item I find a place to put in the trailer cabinetry. Maybe I can put my yarn stash in it.

Sticker shock is no fun and it is brutal to those of us on limited incomes , but my feeling in my bones says to go ahead and get such vital things if possible , even if you need to save for several more pay periods. Because in a year or two, we may have no access at all due to whatever is complicating the whole scene out there right now economically.

It is a very good goal.

Shipping and import tax to Europe are now close to a total of 130$.

Looking forward to hear more about the three piece thing that ...

It's near midnight here and I can't think straight.

Workdays of 12 hours in Amsterdam and I need my head together.

Hugs and will re-read all of this cos golly, it is important to get it right at once.

My newer AA canner has the weight and the gauge. If you only have one, get the weight since it regulates the pressure and the gauge only tells what the pressure is. Some weights are round with three holes and you use the hole marked for the weight you want, usually 5#, 10# or 15#. Some weights come in parts and you use one for 5#, add the 2nd part for 10# and add the 3rd part for 15#. The gauge may need to be tested and adjusted, but the weights do not need testing and cannot be adjusted.

The old PC has a jiggly weight as well. Do they need to be replaced from time to time?