MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHATCHA DOING TODAY?

.......Things took an ugly turn. He said something, I assume in Hindi, and hung up on me. It's been 3 days and I haven't heard from him. I hope "Zack" is okay.

:coffeescreen:

The burial guy (Zack) even told me my first and last name, age, birthday, address and of course he has my phone number too. Creepy.

Yeah.....creeeeepy. VERY CREEPY. Have they been publishing NSA data in India? :tapfoot:

We got rid of two different middle-of-OUR-sleep-cycle callers by calling the number back. Had a recording to press "whatever number" to speak to a rep and press "different number" to be taken off our list. But I'm sure if we try it a third time, they will change that. I had another one yesterday and I quick turned on the light so I could see the numbers on my phone. Automated voice said press '2' to be taken off the list. Sometimes that works. Sometimes. :banghead:

Mid day calls are handled by me putting it on speaker and going about whatever I'd been doing. Especially effective with live callers. You can hear them saying "Ma'am?.....Ma'am, are you there?" Ties up their time and slightly amuses me. ESPECIALLY if they've not taken a breath in their spiel where I can politely say 'No thank you and hand up".

MtRider :gaah:

Edited by Mt_Rider

"spam calls"...I NEVER say hello twice When I answer, I say hello and then wait, then I hang up. I never talk to the jokers, they're usually trying to sell pharmaceuticals. I think perhaps they try to find out what kinds of meds people take. Once we realized what they were, we developed our "hello once and no talk" and I must say I think we're getting fewer of them.

Edited by The WE2's

We do the "hello" once also.

Donation callers, I ask if they can help me ' cause I don't have any money to eat.... They quit calling.

MIL said she's gotten several of the "Hi Grandma, it's me..." callers, she has no grandchildren, so it gives her a chuckle to mess with them.

Soliciting calls, we turn the tables on them and try to sell them our inventory. They don't call back again either.

:D

Oak smoked a ham yesterday. The meat should last a couple of months. Then, we sat around a small pit fire for a while.

Covered the garden plots. Just a light frost last night, but the forecast is saying we are going to get colder next week.

Today, we have customers scheduled to come and I need to tidy the house and do a quick dusting.

Hoping everyone is feeling better.

"unlax and rewind" I love this!

Glad the travelers are home safe. We are getting some good rain. and it's so badly needed.

Ah those telemarketer calls. We get calls from a couple multiple times per week and sometimes in a day. I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. Mom did a funny thing one. She got a call from a lady doing a "brief survey". The lady asked her her marital status if she had children, etc. Mom answered a few then asked, "Are you married?" The lady said "Yes",. Mom asked, "Do you have any children?" The lady said she did and told her how many. Then Mom asked her age. "She said, "Wait a minute. I'm supposed to be asking YOU the questions". Mom said, "Well, if you can ask me nosy questions, I can ask you nosy questions!" the lady hung up.

We had a nice day today. It was supposed to rain all day but so far it has held off. I got the yard mowed for the last time which meant mulching all of the leaves. Then I got the weeds sprayed in the dead beds and the weed and feed spread out in the back yard. I also got the reflector sticks along the driveway put out. A relief to get it all done because I didn't think I'd have one more chance to do it. I got a lot done but my back is screaming for the heating pad.

I guess everyone buys everything online these days. I went to 2 Office Max and 1 Staples trying to find some labels. Avery used to have every shape and size in the store but I couldn't find any about 2x2. I want to make some bookplates for the little golden books I got but can't find the labels locally anywhere. I downloaded a couple of cute templates.

And another observation...I can not find any Wylers chicken granules anywhere. Every store I go in I look just out of curiosity. I see the store brand granules but not the Wylers brand. I also see the Wylers beef granules but not the chicken. Wylers has the chicken cubes but not the granules. I don't need any but I was going to get a small jar of chicken granules as a backup. They do have it on their website though. I've been checking this out for at least 3 months.

Did another load of laundry and fixed a homemade pizza for supper. Mr loves pizza :-) I put some basil and garlic powder in the dough and it was really tasty :-) Pretty much just did the "hang out with Abby" thing. For some reason the body was feeling tired. guess it didn't rest well last night?

OOooooo...garlic/basil in dough....I'll pass that on to DH. He makes the dough with the 'dough' setting of the breadmaker. Sounds yummy, WE2.

:Blushing: Ach....yanno? I've decided that I must be the star of Heaven's Comedy Station. :rolleyes:

So nothing happened MOST of today except not getting to sleep till near 4AM and getting up at 'noon-thirty'. Just moving around was tough for a while. By 4:30PM it was time to feed and I was finally functional. Didn't have dog ...she went in town with DH to all her FAVORITE places where store people give her treats! Koa loves going in town! :hapydancsmil:

"Meanwhile, back at the ranch"......I go down to feed. I get the old skinny NINNY horse started on her special Sr. feed. :scratchhead: I began to suspect my brain wasn't fully engaged when I dumped the ducks' food into the horse's pan.. :misc-smiley-231: ..and couldn't figure out why it looked wrong. :sigh: Switched it out and let in NINNY to eat. Set other container aside to take to ducks once the rest of horse-stuff was done.

"Horse stuff" now includes putting out several flakes of hay.......and since they now stand around the barnyard eating hay [as opposed to browsing far and wide eating pasture grass] we also have to remove all the "horse products" that are produced while standing around eating hay. Not too difficult if you keep up with it. Had to kick frozen-to-ground piles tho. But while doing that, my hands in thin gloves were frozen! I didn't anticipate how very COLD it is. About 5 degrees! Had to keep warming fingers up and starting again. Got heavier gloves on when I got back to van!!! Rest of me was dressed ok.

Almost done with that...[cuz now it now takes a while].....and realized NINNY has finished her food and decided to have at it with the ducks' food. AAURRRGH! The piggie ate HALF their food! Won't hurt her and we'll obviously be subzero tonite. She'll use it keeping warm. But now I have to drive back up to refill the ducks' food.....cuz it's going subzero and THEY need it! :motz_6: {stupid horse}

Without dog walk, this is usually pretty fast. :grinning-smiley-044: Oh no. We have only just begun this evening!

I return with proper amount of expecting-COLD duckfood. Pour that in and grab bucket to scoop water from our creek box. That too is usually easy. :grinning-smiley-044: However one board of the box got knocked loose during spring FLOODING and we never got it tacked back together. Shoot! So the water level is low and sluggish right now. We've had no rain and little snow for months. So.....the creek flow is half frozen tonite! Uh oh.

When I cleaned out the box last week, a lot of reeds/mud only got pushed a foot or so downstream. Now that was blocking the feeble, reduced flow and .....one thing we do NOT want is the culvert tunnel completely blocking the creek's flow with ice. That will flood the pond at the other end of the culvert and eventually close our driveway. So I trudge back to the horses area to fetch a heavy garden rake. Found two stable places to balance my feet and proceeded to drag the creek just downstream of the box. Yes....that helped. More water flowing from more rainfall would help more! :pray:

:imoksmiley: That's a lot of physical labor. Did I mention we are now DARK! {my headlamp needs new batteries....note to self}

Finally scooped enough water for ducks; shut everything up; and bounced the van up the driveway. Goat is done. Put away stuff. Go upstairs ripping off heavy gloves, coats, headwear, etc cuz I'm overheated! :knary: Ya don't plan on heavy labor when dressing when it's only FIVE DEGREES. Ya dress warm! :knary:

THEN before I get the rest of my stuff off {thankfully} I notice the yellow sticky note-to-self stuck on my keyring carabiner. Carabiner is attached to my belt. Note says: " Bring up from basement: 1. choco chips 2. THAWED turkey! "

So I'm back downstairs and scooped up the plastic shopping bag that's holding the previously frozen turkey. :groooansmileyf: There is wetness. The plastic bag that's supposed to be sealed around the turkey is obviously not sealed. Plastic grocery bag leaking too. And I never put my usual bowl underneath the thawing turkey. :banghead: Blood/fluids from thawing turkey are now ALL OVER BOTTOM SHELF of garage fridge. I scoot drippy turkey into a VERY HANDY CLEAN bucket :amen: and get the utility sink water running. There is gonna be a LOT of washing of hands in the next 45 minutes.

Oh yeah.....other food was 'in the flow' on that shelf. All salvageable due to tight packaging [unlike the turkey packaging] :tapfoot: Plus just cleaning/sanitizing the fridge itself...shelf, etc. Fortunately I have cleaning rags, Pinesol, paper towels, and WARM water down there. LOVE warm water when dealing with such things!!! And the big utility sink!

Because of this being the lowest shelf, I was doing so many 'leg squats' I thot I was back in gym class. Then one time, I tried to rise and...... :scratchhead: I couldn't! What NOW! :gaah::rolleyes: Would you believe the aforementioned keyring carabiner had somehow opened and latched onto the crotch of my insulated pants? :blink: So my belt was attached to .... Sheeeesh! Didn't let go very easily either. :shakinghead: For pete's sake!

That's when I decided I must be on some heavenly comedy show....... :curtsey:

.....eventually, all was nice & shiny..... cleaned and sanitized. Lugged turkey in bucket and one item whose outer packaging was infiltrated by ....er, turkey juice. Inner packaging will be just fine tho. No loss except time/energy. :amen:

MtRider ......do we have a smiley with a clown hat??? :cheeky-smiley-067:

Edited by Mt_Rider

All I have to do is read MtRider's adventures to remind me that we're not getting animals again. It was fun when we were younger, but retirement brings us enough adventures without adding any extra. :grinning-smiley-044:

I had the same turkey leakage-in-the-refrig episode. At 5 am, I strolled out to mom's garage refrig and saw blood/juice slowing run across the garage floor. Thankfully, it was cold out there so I left it until turkey was in the oven and cooking. Not fun so early in the morning. I've never had a Butterball do that before, and it won't happen again. B)

Was up early anyway and prepped rooms with carpets to be cleaned professionally today. I have no idea when they will get here either. Only thing then is put Miss Macy in her big cage so she is safe and sound from being able to get out a door that may be left open by the workers.

When they show up.

Surfin' for a few knit patterns. Finally found one for a cowl that won't overheat my neck or take too long to make. It is already cold out and I was meaning to get a simple one done , like two years ago!

Have been doing really well on knitting my knee high sock, first in a pair.

I decided today was the day I was finally getting a piece of glass cut for my coffee table which is actually an oak trunk. It's the nicest piece of furniture I have and I need to protect it better. I use cheap picture frame glass for my end tables but they are easy because a picture frame size works fine. Not so for the coffee table. It's big and not a standard size. So I went to Michaels. It was almost $80.00 for the size I needed. Wow. I almost fell off of the stool I was setting on. It is a big size top but still... That cost almost as much as the trunk. By the time she gave a discount and a coupon and whatever else she could think of, she got it whittled down to $30.00. Not bad for a big piece of glass.

Then I saw a picture frame that I really "needed" for my wall. It's really big and the top is curved like an old fashion church window. It's divided into 9 sections for pictures that you hang from a clip. Anyway, It was too expensive but I can think of 4 different places I can hang it. And it's really pretty. What the heck. I need to spruce this place up. I took it to the register and she asked if I had a coupon. Of course not. Sigh. So she pulled one out and scanned it and I got 50% off.

I didn't really need the frame but I did need the glass to protect the trunk top. I want it to last as long as I do and then some.

I had a great day at Michaels. I must have had a pitiful look about me today. :hapydancsmil:

I haven't bought canning jars for awhile so I'm not sure how much they cost right now so I looked online. Wal-Mart has the Kerr regular mouth pints for $19.25 for a dozen. At Michaels they are a dollar apiece. I prefer Kerr when I can get them because I like the shape better and there is writing on one side only. I didn't need any but now I know where I can get them locally. They are so hard to find around here.

I swung by K-Mart and picked up a couple of things. I needed some more Sta-bil for the tractor. I found a nice funnel with a long hose. I'm still having issues with putting gas in the tractor neatly. I also picked up a couple of new yard sticks. K-Mart has metal ones and they are very nice especially if you use it to draw a line for arts and crafts. The wooden ones chip or lose their edge too easily. I highly recommend a metal one. The check out guy said, "Oh, nice yard rulers!" Yard rulers. :24:

I was going to detail my car today but by the time I got home it was getting dark. It's dark by 5:00 now. When the sun goes down it gets too cold to be out even in the garage. Tomorrow is another day.

Wow, Jeepers. You got some SERIOUS savings today! Merry Christmas! LOL

Sooo apparently I didn't have a curtain call on the Heavenly Comedy Channel today. :happy0203:

Still kinda [yeah...really kinda!] rough functioning till I got going. By the time I had to go feed, it was still around 20 degrees. Drops fast as the sun disappears tho. So I did all the things I did yesterday, without all the :gaah: and :motz_6: I worked on the creek box again. The board I tore off is really not salvageable. Screws won't move in either direction - just spin. HEAVY being water-logged. Need different board. Walked dog....still need to change batteries in headlamp. Opted to fly up the steep ditch when a vehicle was flying down our road. Dog thot it was fun to run UP UP UP. She was pulling me.

Got turkey into oven. :yum:

MtRider ....a rather normal day.... :cele::amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

A couple customers postponed their appointment, but one came later Monday afternoon. We made white beans with the ham bone and jalapeño/green chili mexican cornbread. They both like it hot... too hot for me. But that's OK. Gave him a dozen eggs, because we are getting 4-5 a day.

Yesterday was a semi-quiet day. When I went outside about dawn, I stopped cold in my tracks. The air was filled with the smell of natural gas. Apparently, they had a main line break a few blocks from us. Yellow tape blocking roads and homes evacuated. Thankfully, it was far enough away, it didn't effect us. Still, that smell.... They have been replacing the town's lines all year. Our neighborhood was done about 3 months ago.

At first, I walked all around our yard trying to see if it was coming from our house, listening carefully for the familiar "hisssss". After determining it wasn't here, I figured, it was strong enough, someone was taking care of it. One of our neighbors retired from the gas company and he is an early riser. I am almost positive, he was on top of that. When I mowed my gas line and split a gash in our pipe with the mower blade, he was at our house in less than 2 minutes. :shakinghead:

A couple months ago, I went to use MIL's old Sunbeam Mixmaster, and found it has 2 settings, off and super fast. I took it apart yesterday, cleaned the years off of it, but it still wanted to go super fast. DH found a repair video on the net and the fix seems to be easy to do. We shall see. After a couple of hours cleaning flour dust out of all the moving parts and motor, I wasn't in the mood to continue working on it. I'll do it later.

Made DH his birthday dinner, mushrooms, fried shrimp and BBQ'd steak, then watched, football.

Today, is paperwork day. I should have done it yesterday, but, I wasn't in the mood. I need to keep in mind, this is the last month of the year, and the accounting books need to be ready to do taxes. :animal0017:

I hope everyone has a fantastic day.

I ran a bunch of errands and got the bills paid then went to the recycle paper bin.

I get a sale catalog for all kinds of movies. I think it's called Critic's Choice or something like that. I've never ordered from them. Anyway, I went on their website and saw a ton of DVD's I'd like to watch. I really like British shows so I started there. I saw about 20 that looked interesting so I went on my library's site and my branch had all but 2-3 of them. Other branches had the rest but I have plenty to keep me busy. So I guess I'll be watching DVD's for awhile. I really like foreign movies but I probably won't have as much luck with that. I'll write down the titles and Youtube them. What a world we live in! Sometimes I curse the Internet and computers and sometimes I'm awed by them. :shrug:

Good use of catalog!

I get a lot around this time of year. Not too many yet....mebbe cuz I don't order much now. Always my large calendar. Possibly something for gifts....since I don't get out much to shop. Sometimes I like to look thru them. But when I receive 10 from the same company between Thanksgiving and Christmas.....eh! A little much! :reading:

Oy.......this is one of those rare days when it will take every thing I have to make myself get bundled up and go out into the snow and feed animals. Has to be done but.....I'm.....not......there.....yet. :imoksmiley::0327:

MtRider :pray:

Figured out why the body felt so "achy"...woke up next morning with a scratchy throat so immediately grabbed the elderberry syrup I made some time ago (was stored in the frig) and some essential oil blends. Yesterday put my eucalyptus blend on the bottom of my feet when I put my socks on too! Chugalug Vit C and echinacia. Felt decent today...but Mr is now "under treatment". Gonna have to mix up another batch of elderberry syrup (the usual recipe) though. I always add some extra "goodies" to it when I boil it...feverfew, yarrow root, dehydrated orange slices and then when it's strained and ready for the "syrup" jug (a small maple syrup bottle that I kept..and will keep more) I add some Vodka. Lens fell out my glasses so I was trying to get it back in (very difficult) and it seemed like everybody wanted to call me :-) Finally did get it in though. The little screw that holds the wire worked itself out. Good thing we keep a eyeglass repair kit in our bathroom cabinet...hint...just in case you all don't have any set back?

So true Ambergris! Headaches are awful, especially when they are so frequent! :( Glad you're getting better, Cecilia! But now Annarchy's got it? :(

My headache this morning was not the crud coming back. It's just so doggone COLD that the furnace runs and runs. That stirs up the NEVER-ENDING DUST in this cabin. That terribly kicks off my sinus allergy to 'particulates'. I half-wake thru the nite and sense the headache. Sneak out my hand to push the button that raised the head of the bed. Helps with the sinus a bit. [doesn't help the hips or I'd just sleep with the head lifted.]

So day after day I've been non-functional....non-productive. DH got recruited into HELP!!! He did dishes and cleared. See...usually THAT'S all I can get done before I'm :0327: And I get no where. But while he did that, I got the meat off the boiled ham bone.....chopped carrots/onions/celery and started a soup pot. Then I deboned the turkey. HATE that job - requires "fine motor control" and ....I AIN'T GOT THAT NO MORE. But I don't even use a knife. I slither my fingers up the bones and got..it..done! Whew! DH was there to grab things, move things, open things, etc while my hands are all a mess. THAT cuts the jobs in half right there! :hug3: Held Ziplocks while I shoved turkey or poured turkey broth in. {use a canning funnel so the 'zip' part doesn't get food in it}

Koa did her part by pre-cleaning the emptied roaster parts.....outside in the snow. 'Course that requires good sanitizing after, but greatly saves on grease down the drain and in septic system.

So then by doing those jobs STANDING UP...my headache was able to recede. I also put 4 boxes of oatmeal {a sale a month ago} finally into their Ocean Spray Cranberry bottles. {3 Oatmeal boxes fill 4 juice bottles if tamped down good} Easy job but tedious. Nice when it's done. No moisture or bugs can get into it now. .....and Koa really loves to play with those round containers! :hapydancsmil:

MtRider ..... :cele::hapydancsmil: for me too. I do so LOVE to be productive and get this stuff DONE! :thumbs: for DH!

Edited by Mt_Rider

Mr and I cleared the enclosed back porch and we "finally" fired up the little oil heater that keeps that room from freezing etc. We have a deep freeze there. Also having him run me two small clotheslines so I can hang the wash inside to dry if it's too cold etc., outside. I love the $70+ a month it's saving us by not using the electric dryer :cele: Also organized several half filled boxes of canning jars into three full boxes! Put the dinette down in Miss B and made it into the queen bed and put the Serta Gel mattress on it and covered that with a thermal blanket. Had been storing the gel mattress in the enclosed porch and was afraid that mice might take a liking to it :frying pan: Spent the afternoon over at the homestead and got all the bags of leaves drug over to where we want them (about 40 bags!) and when it's dry weather we'll dump them out and Mr will run the mulching mower over them. Also pulled off several handfuls of my mint and brought it home so I can plant it and keep it inside. Last year it didn't come back and I had to buy three new starts/types and only two survived. Also was surprised to see parsnips and table onions in the garden! Does anybody know if you can eat parsnip greens? Advice please? Threw the fisbee a little while for Abby-girl, she was getting the heeby-jeebies and would make mad-hatter runs around her small yard trying to burn off some of her energy. This is her birthday month...she's 5 years old...can you believe that? Neither of us are feeling as well as we should be but life goes on and jobs need to get done. Mixed up a half pint of tooth powder but still need to brew up more elderberry syrup. We've used it all and the tickling cough makes for sore throughts :-( Got some more leaves to pick up tomorrow and some other chores at the homestead house.

Didn't do much today. Made no bake pumpkin treats for the pups and a copycat Starbucks lemon loaf for us. My ear started hurting this afternoon so I put a medicine dropper of peroxide in the ear, laid down and let it fizz for a while. Felt fine when I got up and still do. That seems to fend off most illnesses for me. Either in the ear that hurts or gargle with it if I get a sore throat. Rarely actually get sick.

I ordered a small bottle of Polo spray cologne for DH today for Christmas. A few days ago, I got one of those sitting pillows with arms for sitting up in bed. I use it on the couch and my neck is not hurting for the first time since we were given this couch. About 3 years. Yay! I'm too short and the couch is too deep. Also ordered a new coffee pot. Makes a full pot or just a cup, a 2- way brewer! My Christmas to me!

Glad you are feeling better C! Hope you feel better soon Annarchy, Mt. Rider and WE2s! I know you're out there Jeepers! Have a nice Sunday!

Edited by snapshotmiki

good morning all! I hope each one is feeling better today.

My goal for today is to treat DH's cough. He's had it for weeks and it's not getting better. I hope to do hydrotherapy on his chest and have him drink a glass of water every 10 minutes for an hour. I know he is dehydrated because he never drinks enough water anyway and yesterday we went to that church 1 1/2 hrs from home and did the concert I had mentioned in another post. We tend not to drink as much water when we are traveling.

Thursday DD1 came and we ladies (me, DDs 1 & 2 and Mom) went Christmas shopping at Goodwill in another town and a couple other places. DD left early Friday morning. Our water was really low and we couldn't take showers. There wasn't enough water to do DH's hydrotherapy treatment.

DS and I left shortly after. The health food store had a Lab Tech there drawing blood for lab test. They do this every so often and really lower the prices. I wanted the H. pylori test. It turned out it was a breath test that cost a bit more but I did it anyway. I knew I would regret it if I didn't because I want to know if I have it. The results will be mailed.

DS walked up the hill and checked the reservoir. It only had a couple of inches of water in it but the spring was running pretty good. It seems to be much better this morning. I think he's going to check it again today. We have a 600 gallon reservoir.

So...I have gifts to wrap, bills to get ready to mail tomorrow, DH's health care and hopefully some decluttering projects. DD2 and Ih ave lots we want to do before Christmas.

Made 4 small apple pies before cleaning house yesterday. However, DH came in and said the washer was making a weird noise. Yup, needs fixing. Uncovered the other washer, (I dislike it, because it takes 55 minutes to do any size load, unplugging it does not unlock the lid and it can not handle a large load.) Anyway, switched the washers and turned the water back on, only to watch the cold water hose separate from the faucet and spew water everywhere. Changed out the hose and managed to finish the load that was in the other washer.

Something tripped my rat trap. I baited it without setting it and all the bait is gone. It must be small enough to get through the cage.

Hope everyone is feeling better and having a good day.