MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

SCORCHY SUMMER!

Hee-hee. Cute kitty pic. That little tummy looks full and ready for a nap.

Our temps have been in the high 80's so far this summer. We had one 93 day so far. Pretty average weather for us. It's starting to get a little dry though. We could use some rain soon.

That picture is cute, looks like what I was doing in TX. MIL keeps her house at 77-78. I'm used to 73-74. I adapted.

My drive home yesterday, started in the 80's in TX. In NM the temperature gauge moved up to 90 - 100. Crossed into AZ and it kept going up. By the time I drove into Tucson, it said 116 - 118 and fluctuated in that area until I got into our area where it went up to 120. :knary:

I took a pic of our thermometer, it's broken.... lol, not.... it only registers to 120 and the needle was beyond that. All the birds are flocking into our yard and sitting in the shade with their mouths open. The starlings are spending a lot of time in the water dishes. Even our chickens are sitting under their water container already today.

This morning, at 9:00am, it is already 110* Looks like it is going to be another scorcher today.

Annarchy...you know that chickens turn into ducks above 120 degrees, don't you. ;) Glad you got home safe in that dangerous heat! I second the concern about SERIOUS BOB for vehicle breakdown or traffic backup or......

We've had hot....which means 80+ for me. But with swamp cooler, I'm still alive. Then we clouded up and began to feel the effects of dropping 20 degrees in an hour. Red/Orange/Purple all over the doppler. I'd drifted off for a nap and woke to a "weather sense" of HURRRRRY and get chores done and back inside. Summertime is easy....ran dog next to truck. Zipped around and back in before it let loose with rain again. Spots of THUNDER STORMS all over the mountains tonite. Usually it doesn't as much up here cuz the eastern plains have more heat buildup...more prone to violent storm reaction. But we've been hot.

Hope the storms don't go severe right over my head....or my folks....or DH at work...... :pray:

MtRider ...bit unusual here tonite but I'm inside. :unsure:

We've been raining...with some light show. Not too bad tho. I haven't FLINCHED like I do when lightning and thunder happen at once over our house. At 9,000'....we ARE the storm. :behindsofa:

This is delivering needed RAIN. Kinda coming in torrents part of the time tho. Driveway full of gullies.....Summertime in the Rockies.

MtRider ...but ANYTHING is better than wildfire!!! :amen::hapydancsmil:

It was a hundred here a few days ago. We have the humidity too.

In the building I work in, if you get that yucky drag-around feeling over the course of an hour or so and look around, you're likely to see several other people drooping the same way. It's the rain coming in. When the pressure rises, people will brighten up and step faster. Even voices change.

I've come across the concept of the get-home bag as a compact component of the breakdown bag. Among other things, the breakdown bag has spare socks and shoes, a pair of britches, a machete, several bottles of water, and a bug suit. The ghb has a spare underpants, a knife, a belt loop for a bottle of water. and a hat with a mosquito veil.

Daylilly, I was born here, most natives, I know around here, are used to it too. It's like asking how you all live in the cold. Brrrr.. :)

Yes, the car has BOB and a maintenance bag. Water is always packed. You don't live here unless you make sure you have enough water. You don't, it means you die. It's that simple. DH also insists, just in case of SHTF, that I carry a couple of personal protection items.

This time, coming through the border check point, the car was flashed with the photo/radar lamps several times and they questioned me. "Where are you coming from?", "Did you go to Mexico?", "How long were you there?", "What did you do there?", "Where are you going to?", "What part of AZ?", and "What's in your trunk?" I answered the questions, and when he wanted to know what was in my trunk, surprised, I replied, "Uh, my luggage." ( LOL, and BOB, and a tent, and blankets, and car BOB and water, not to mention my high tech personal protection and other supplies..... I didn't mention those items, because I didn't want to have to explain why I carry what I do.)

Traveling in the heat always has its risks. If anything were to happen, BOB, personal protection, and I would hike away to someplace that seems safe with shade, to hunker down until evening. Then, and only then, would I head toward the closest city. Whether it is home or back to MIL's house, depends on where I am.

Yesterday it only got up to 119.9. Today is supposed to be cooler, 108.

Right now at 9 am it's 70. It cooled down to 68 overnight. It's not so bad if you the temps cool down at night because you can open the house and get the hot air out. Right now our house is warm and we have fans trying to circulate the warm air out. High today is supposed to be 99 with numbers like that all week.

With our Rip-Roaring lightning and rain show last nite, we dropped to 55 degrees. :happy0203: That's the Rocky Mts! Whew. But it's up to 65 at noon in the shade.... [the thermometer fell - blew(?) off the post and landed in a pot of lettuce DH is trying to grow....so now it's setting propped up until it can be safely restored to it's post].

Rain dug ditches in our driveway....always does. And it's nearly HUMID today. I think it's supposed to build up to storm again later today...in that cycle now.

Annarchy, figured a native of AZ would carry lots of water [and other stuff]. I'm just shocked that other folks don't. Heat in MO/IA might not be above 120 but sheeesh! With humidity, it's still deadly....and not just for heat-sensitive folks like me! :shrug: Like everything else, "it can't happen to me" syndrome.

So....WHAT do you mean by "border checkpoint"? :blink: .....cuz I've been hearing of border check points just outside of CO. They're checking for ...um, those products that are legal in CO but not in neighbor states. Checking for quantities of pot. But....I've crossed the MO/IA border x2 and no checkpoints. Describe please.

I've always assumed traveling by highway would be "it's only MY business what I"m carrying" tho following the states rules for 'protection' carrying, of course. And I'm not talking about crooks with other illegal stuff and the proper procedure to SEARCH. ....just the right to carry MY stuff! Travel between states is supposed to be .....free of interrogation!

MtRider :puzzledsmile:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I'm interested in the state to state boarder checks too. Never heard of that. Hummm.

We are supposed to get back up to 90's this weekend. I'm gonna mow tomorrow so I can stay in. Grass is looking a little shaggy anyway. It really could use some rain on it.

Just west of Las Cruces NM they have a border check station. All I-10 traffic must stop. Trucks in one lane cars in the other. They used to check if you had fruit or veggies. AZ had a bad time with imported fruit flies decades ago.

They usually just ask, "Are you an American Citizen?" and wave you on. They only held up a couple of cars ahead of me and I watched passports being handed to them and then, they were waved on. I am not sure if they were looking for something/someone or just picking out a car to make their quota for the day.

110* and slightly humid. The clouds built and came through our area last night. We got a dozen drops of rain, and a couple bolts of lightening, then it was gone.

We're 55 degrees outside. Getting warm inside so I turned the fans back on. Lots of weather passing by and lots of cooling cloud cover. :cheer: DH is stuck at work with A/C out. One door. Lots of windows.....none open. Could be a lot worse if it wasn't cloudy!

MtRider ...we half fixed the ruts in the driveway...in time for more rain mebbe.

Edited by Mt_Rider

Slightly cloudy skies built throughout the day, with temps above 110*.

I put a canvas tarp on the chicken coop and let the water hose drip on it to give them a swamp cooler. The girls seemed to enjoy it.

Later in the day the clouds increased but no rain. Most of it, is from all the wild fires. Then, the wind caused dust, a lot of dust in the air, and Phx got the worst of it. Most of the mountains on the horizon were hardly visible. Nothing new for our area.

Temps have dropped to 100* by 7:00pm.