• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<snip>

Where did the summer go?

I am very grateful summer is going away. We've been watching all the new migrating birds coming through. 5 different hummingbirds are competing over the feeders.

:hapydancsmil: 60* this morning. :hapydancsmil:

I'm wearing a long sleeve shirt! 1st time since May.

Still over 100 in the day, but the nights are absolutely gorgeous!

:cele:

Got some nice rain these past few days and today was gorgeous. Temp was 80 but overcast and nice breeze. Evenings are starting to get cool. Even raised the thermostat on the a/c :-) We'll be turning off the a/c and opening kitchen window (for draft) as soon as the day temps start staying around 75 or so.

Yeah, WE2...speaking of your A/C....we've got to get the copper water pipe out of the swamp cooler. We've been getting down in the upper 20's these nights. On the porch, the pot of greens [mustard, beet, lettuce, spinach] is just starting to look good. Have to cover it with a trash bag every night anyway cuz of the porch rat trying to eat them. :tapfoot:

It's beginning to snow on some of Colorado's Fourteeners....[over 14,000' ] But it melts...so far.

And........with a very early onset of Fall while we were still in August.....I've got a bad case of MS Fall Fatigue this year. Seems to be bad on years when I've taken too much heat/had a lot of heat meltdowns. :imoksmiley::faint3: Ain't been good! <_<

MtRider ....love fall but...it's no good for me. :shrug:

Tropical storm Orlene, heading in the general direction of Hawaii is gone.

Tropical storm Paine ......heading for Annarchy???

Julia ...off the SE coast is going in circles

Karl is coming toward that same section of real estate when Julia is done with them.

CO is warmer than we've been. I've been closing the door to keep the cold out for the past several days. Today it's open to let the warm breeze inside.

MtRider ....winter cometh... :yar:

Today was 90 or so and cloudy. Eavesdropped on some farmer fella's and they were talking about the bag worms being extra bad this year on the walnut trees and even some other types of trees. Said it's a sign of a cold winter :-( Farmer's Almanac says end of November will be turning off very cold too (if I'm reading it right) for lots of zones.

Paine went completely around us. We had light overcast skies. Temps were up at night in the high 70's low 80's. Daytime was 90's - 100's. And humid, icky.

The early migration of birds seems to indicate a colder winter. Funny thing, I have never seen birds molting in the fall. We actually have a humming bird without any tail feathers, and other birds are molting too, even one of my chickens lost most of her feathers. She is finally looking better as her new ones are growing back in.

DH says it looks like it will be a cold winter. :shrug:

Come to think of it, Annarchy.....our ducks haven't done a molt yet. :scratchhead:

And........ :behindsofa: .....the weather prediction includes the "S" word. :o

MtRider ....Noooooooooooooooo! My hay people haven't even gotten their fields baled yet cuz of intermittent rain! :gaah:

No {snow} around here yet except the high mt. peaks. But that W I N D the other day was so severe! Tore up my nervous system in the few moments it took me to get clothes off the line and get clothes from garage area dryer and back up the [exterior] stairs. My hands trembled and shook for an hour. So did my brain. Ugh...hate that feeling!

It also blew in a C O L D spell. I saw 21 degrees last nite at 2AM. :frozen: It's only near 50 degrees now. Lugged in my big pot of greens [lettuce, beet greens, etc] last nite instead of just covering with plastic bag. They would have frozen! Need to just use them up.

This is unfortunate cuz our stupid propane company filled our [already filled] tank in mid-Aug. Issued decrees that our next fill would be the first week of NOVEMBER. If we run out before our scheduled stop, hundreds of dollars in fines would be assessed. Property owners decided to rent a 300 gal tank instead of the original 500 gal tank when we switched companies a decade ago. Until now, it's been just barely workable. THIS schedule is crazy due to this UNSCHEDULED drop in temperatures. And using the pellet stove is inefficient at this point. Too cold for no heat but toooo warm for the pellet stove roaring, even on it's lowest setting cuz our cabin is SO small. :gaah:

MtRider ....under blankets with layers of clothes. Skimping on heat AND Internet usage. :sigh:

Edited by Mt_Rider

It's a surcharge for the propane company having to come specially out to your route area before you're due to be filled again. Methinks they are cutting the routes toooooo far apart. They used to come every 4-5 wks for filling. Now they stretch it out further and further and tough luck if the weather is cold, I guess.

IF we have trouble meeting this expectation, the owners will have to rent a larger propane tank....or try a different company. At least the tank is at the bottom of the driveway now....so they don't have to time their deliveries to us when we haven't had a big snowstorm. Even with the 500 gal tank, that was a point of MUCH anxiety! :blink: But our neighbor/friend/propane-driver-for-same-company-but-not-our-route....he and DH actually laid the pipe and installed the 300 gal tank down below the house. Saved the owners a LOT in installation fees. THEY just rented the digger machine and DH and W rolled that pipe out as they went 300' UP the hill. Then W hooked it up on both ends, since he was working for that company.

Once we get a bit colder, I'll run the pellet stove during the day. That will take the pressure off the propane running out. Just awkward right now. :frozen:

MtRider .....follow the $$$$$ <_<

Edited by Mt_Rider