MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thundering Travel

Good morning! :hi:

There are some big dark clouds skating around us and I can hear thunder. Hurricane Delores is coming up the coast, sending moisture our way. Yesterday a "micro-burst" tore up a large area in Phoenix, flipping trailer homes, tearing down trees and power lines. Humidity+Heat+No electricity = A very uncomfortable time. Hoping the road stays clear for me today. No dust storms, wind or heavy rain. God willing it will be a safe trip.

Charging my cell phone, I want to listen to my music. Suitcase is packed, my BOB is ready and water containers filled. Checked the tire pressure and lights, all good. I'll go out with a rag and rinse the car off before I leave, it seems like a clean car gets less attention on the road then a dusty speckled one does. LOL We've had a lot of dust blowing and just enough sprinkles to make it look like it has never been washed. :grinning-smiley-044:

The chickens are nestled up against the pine tree this week, happily eating anything green in their area. We gave them the corn cobs from yesterday's B-day BBQ and they are still picking and scratching at them. It has been so hot here the hens quit laying. :( Fried has not laid an egg for 2 weeks and Fricasseed is slowing down to every other day.

Well, it is time for me to gather the last of my stuff, put on my make-up and ear rings.

What's on your agenda today?

Good grief! Murphy's Law is in rare form this morning.

I took the windex out to wash the windows on the car, and what do you think I see?

The street sweeper! He is diligently kicking up dust.

I guess I will wait to rinse the car off.

:008Laughing:

I have a feeling my day is going to be s-l-o-w. Two nights ago I didn't sleep at all. Not a wink. So last night I took 2 Advil PM's and got restless leg syndrome. That happens to me sometimes with the PM meds. A few hours later I took 2 melatonin pills. Nothing. Two straight nights in a row with no sleep. None. Insomnia is awful. I'm so tired but not sleepy. I'm going to try to stay awake all day and take an Ambien tonight. It isn't supposed to rain today so there are places I can go to stay upright and alert. I have some errands I can do. A few groceries I need, the library to return some books on cd's, Wal-Mart for a new Water Pik, drugstore called yesterday that my meds are ready to pick up and to the nursery for seeds. I'm going to try to stay busy until 7-8 this evening and hopefully crash for the whole night.

Crimony, if that doesn't work I'm gonna dip into my winter supply of Nyquil or bust out the booze I squirreled away to barter with.

Today is a "put things together" day (as much as I can) for our planned BO with the TT. The more I can get done today, the less we have to do in the morning when we hitch up. Clothing, toiletries that aren't already in the TT, personal care items that aren't already in the TT, Shelf stable foods (that's an EZ fix!) and then when MrWE2 gets home from work site, we'll load everything except the frig items which we'll load in the morning when we get ready to go to the Homestead to hitch up the TT. Oh Jeeps...can you use Valerian Root? Several years ago when I was so stressed caring for my first husband, I often used Kava Kava during the day and Valerian Root chassed by orange juice at bedtime. It always takes 4 or 5 caps...not the one cap they recommend :-) I have set both back for emergency use if I should need it. Just like anything medicinal, you can't overuse or abuse them. Chammomile tea doesn't do much for me when I'm truly needing to chill.

:pray: for safe travel for Annarchy...and a good visit with MIL! Also safe travel and good camping for WE2's.

Ach, Jeepers. This household can TRULY relate to the insomnia thing. MONTHS of it. :imoksmiley: :imoksmiley: :imoksmiley:

We've tried all the herbal stuff first. When it's too intense for that to work, DH went to The Blue Pill. Available at Walgreens/Walmart. Bright blue gel cap....simple 'sleep aid'. It works and I tried it too. It does not eliminate REM sleep. Dreaming still occurs and that is vital. First couple mornings I woke a bit groggy after a full night of sleep. But beyond that.....it's had no effect but what I'm intending.

YMMV ....don't know how it works for anyone else. I really tend to have weird reactions to a lot of meds...so I was wary. Desperation finally made me try it. :hapydancsmil: Ahhhh.....sleep is SO WONDERFUL. Hope you get a full, restful night tonight, Jeepers. :hug3:

MS is sending my energy/functioning up and down this past few months. Prolly cuz of the horrible sleep deprivation months earlier this year. I try to do a moderate amount of SOMEthing productive when I can. And crawl thru the days when I can only do the absolute minimum tasks. :yar:

MtRider ....this day seems ok.....so far. Yesterday was a wash-out. :shrug:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I'm still awake. Yea. Did some errands and son called and we talked for almost an hour. I'm still going strong. Around 7:00 I'm going to bed with the Kindle and if I don't fall asleep in an hour or so I'm breaking out the Ambien. I've only taken it a couple of times but it does work for me with no problems.

Herbs just don't have much of an effect on me. I've tried St. Johns Wort and Valerian with no results at all. I won't take Kava Kava. It is so hard on the liver and I already take Lipitor which is also processed in the liver. My body reacts strangely to medications. I have a very high tolerance yet I'm allergic to every antibiotic I've ever taken. One doctor told me it isn't a true allergy but 'just' a reaction. I guess you have to die before it is a 'real' allergy. He was the one who gave me penicillin and about four days later I looked like I had a bad case of measles all over. Emergency room Dr. said all of my capillaries were bursting under the skin. But I didn't die so it must have just been a reaction. Oh-Oh, someone is getting grumpy! Two more hours.

I noticed my foot was hurting just a little bit while I was out doing errands. Not bad, just sort of like a nerve being aggravated. I took my shoes and socks off and there is a huge blue knot on my left foot. It's on the side of my foot right below my big toe. If you had a bunion (I don't) that's where it would be. I haven't bumped it or anything but now it's hurting if I just wiggle my toes. It is so big. It's about the size of a lima bean. And there isn't much meat in that area, it's all bump. A very hard bump. If it isn't better tomorrow I'm going to call the doctor. I know I didn't bump it. Kinda hard to bump the inside of the foot and not notice. Now that I've noticed it, it hurts worse than ever. Sheesh. Definitely taking an Ambien and starting over tomorrow. Crimony, if it ain't one thing...

Hope Annarchy had good traveling weather.

Thank you all for the well wishes. I was truly amazed how the clouds separated in front of me the whole trip.

I am here safe and sound. PTL!

Now, it is time to do my task list MIL has for me. :happy0203:

Jeepers, take care. Maybe you got bit by something. :pray:

Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I found thee.....

Went to bed with the Kindle around 7:00pm and saw I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. Around 8:00 I took an Ambien and read for ???? the next thing I knew it was 10:00am and I was fully rested with absolutely no groggies. I've decided I'm not going to suffer with days of absolutely no sleep any more if I can help it. It's misery and probably dangerous. Don't know. Last year my Dr. gave me a script for 60 pills. Rather, 30 for two months each and I still have around 40 left. I know they can be dangerous for some people and some people can abuse them. I feel very fortunate I'm not one of them. Finally a drug that works for me that I can tolerate. I'll still use the OTC for occasional sleeplessness. But for no sleep AT ALL, I'm pulling out the big guns.

My foot looks a little bit better today. It isn't quite as angry looking. Still hurts and has the bump but the redness is going away. I didn't think about a bite. I checked and there is no puncture site. Of course that doesn't mean too much I guess. The bump is so hard it feels like a bone. Yuck. I'll give it another day. I hate to go to the doctor for something like this. Kinda like going in for a hang nail. She'd probably say, "Y$s, ya sure got a br$ise going on there."

Oh, sweet mystery of life at last I found thee.....

Went to bed with the Kindle around 7:00pm and saw I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. Around 8:00 I took an Ambien and read for ???? the next thing I knew it was 10:00am and I was fully rested with absolutely no groggies. I've decided I'm not going to suffer with days of absolutely no sleep any more if I can help it. It's misery and probably dangerous. Don't know. Last year my Dr. gave me a script for 60 pills. Rather, 30 for two months each and I still have around 40 left. I know they can be dangerous for some people and some people can abuse them. I feel very fortunate I'm not one of them. Finally a drug that works for me that I can tolerate. I'll still use the OTC for occasional sleeplessness. But for no sleep AT ALL, I'm pulling out the big guns.

That is exactly what DH and I have decided. Serious insomnia can feed on itself...extending out further and further. It is nothing to play around with. And in the Post-Hooey...or even a more mundane crisis, we have GOT to have full mental capacity going. Not to mention physical capacity. Put sleep aid on the Must Stock list!

MtRider ...glad you got gooood sleep. Keep an eye on that foot thing! :scratchhead:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Thanks Mt. Rider. They aren't something I would necessarily recommend, except for occasional use. But for desperate measures I'm glad I have them. I might ask for another prescription the next time I go just to stock away. 60 pills a year is way more than enough for me. Insurance helps too. My Dr. is pretty good about understanding things like that. I've gone to her long enough that she knows I don't abuse. Plus she knows where I live! She drives by almost everyday going to work. She is really a nurse practitioner who works with doctors. She is a keeper.

Foot still hurts but it looks like the swollen might be getting smaller. I gave myself a pedicure last night just in case I had to go show my feetz to someone. B)

Foot looks and feels the same. Will tough it out over the weekend and if it isn't any better will call the doctor. Sigh.

D-ex just called and I told him about it. He said it might be a cyst and I should poke it with something sharp and pointy to see if anything comes out of it. Won't tell you what I said I'd like to poke him with... :008Laughing:

I do have some of that drawing salve. I will try it but really doesn't look like an infection or that anything is in it. Just a very hard bluish green lump. I think I will soak it and stick it with a needle and put some drawing salve on it with a band-aid over it. Can't hurt any worse. It still looks the same but doesn't hurt quite as much. So weird.

Thanks Annie. I'm sorry you are having sleep issues too. It really wears a person down both mentally and physically. :hug3:

Good Morning. :) Thank you for the hugs and well wishes. It was a blessing to watch the dark clouds on the horizon fade away before I drove into them and I was additionally blessed by dry roads the entire trip.

Did you see the news where a bridge on I-10 got washed out, just west of the AZ border in CA? They are saying 2-3 months before they can fix it. Also, the only way around it, is, at least, an additional 2 hour drive.

Felt good to sleep in my own bed with the AC blowing on me. MIL keeps her house at 78. Our house is usually 73. Yeah, I know that is cool, but it keeps the vapors away. :thumbs: And, yes, we pay for it too. lol

Jeepers, how is your foot?

Foot is doing so some better, thanks. There is still the bump but it is going down...very slowly. But is doesn't hurt like it did so I guess it is going to be okay. I stuck it with one of those lancers things like diabetics use to test blood and there was just a tiny bit of blood from the skin.

This is one of the strangest things I've ever had. Very big hard bump, reddish bluish greenish yellow, really hurt and came out of nowhere. :scratchhead:

Edited for spelling

Edited by Jeepers