MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I never see bats here

I found three dead bats in our yard since Sunday. I have lived here for 27 years and have never even seen a bat flying around. We spend many an eve on the deck, beside a camp fire, in the hot tub etc. Could my cats be catching them?

Disease comes to my mind...... We see bats at our park so I know how they swoop around in the dark. Can't imagine that the cats could catch them. Any thoughts? Everyone gels me to burn the carcass.

Bats and rabies are connected. But....three is weird. The course of rabies is long for bats...in that they stay alive longer than most creatures that carry the infection. Also racoons and skunks. Might want to get it tested. Call county health or whatever appropriate division.

I would definitely want to find out more about this. Don't let domestic animals near the carcasses.

MtRider :unsure: Verrrrry worrisome! [but I have a thing about rabies....]

Bats are sensitive to some pesticides. Any spraying in your area lately? There also seems to be a parrallel with lightning bugs and bees. Also, if someone has recently put up or refurbished bat boxes, some paints can poison them. We jellously guard our bat population.

Yes, three dead bats brought up the hair on my neck. It felt whoooowhoooowhattheheckisthis? kind of weird!!!!

We did have some very strong winds at night. Usually the wind drops in the evening here at this time of year, so wondered if they may have gotten caught up in a small twister and were just dropped here. The first bat really shocked me because I thought I was picking up a baby bird carcass. The cats leave those around all the time. The meanies will catch a bird and then bring it under the closed in deck so they can play some more......poor birds can't get away from them under there.

Edited by lovinit

Call county health or county extension office.....call the National Guard....call the .. :runcirclsmiley2:

Seriously....that many bats? Something is wrong! Don't touch them!

MtRider Ack....keep us informed! [mebbe the wildfire smoke is affecting them?]

Dh doesn't want me to investigate further. He doesn't want to have us quarantined for rabies. I scooped them up in a shovel into the burning barrel. I have made a point of looking out oft times through the night and still do not see any flying. I have checked in the buildings and not found any bats. The week has gone by and I haven't found more dead bats yet, but NOTHING black gets by me. I swear if I find another, I WILL report it. I would rather be in quarantine for precaution than because!!!!!!!! (we didn't report).