MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone Can Mustard??

I found this recipe for canning mustard:

http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/oktoberfest-beer-mustard

Does anyone have any other safe recipes for other varieties of mustard to can? I bought brown and yellow mustard seeds and also powdered mustard some time ago and my chicks and I want to try making mustard. They wouldn't want it very hot, so guess I need to use less brown mustard seeds, and more of the yellow...Other than that...We'd love different varieties. I think maple syrup would be good in it...

I've never canned my mustard since it tends to last forever in the frig. My favorite of course is just plain yellow mustard.

Mustard - French's® Classic Yellow®

Yield: 1/2 cup

1/2 cup dry mustard
1/2 cup water
6 Tbs white vinegar
1 tsp Wondra® Quick-mixing flour
3/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp turmeric

1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.

2. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring often.

3. Remove pan from heat. Leave uncovered for 1 minute, then cover pan with lid until cool. Chill and store in a covered container.

• 3 weeks later...

I've never canned my mustard since it tends to last forever in the frig. My favorite of course is just plain yellow mustard.

Mustard - French's® Classic Yellow®

Yield: 1/2 cup

1/2 cup dry mustard

1/2 cup water

6 Tbs white vinegar

1 tsp Wondra® Quick-mixing flour

3/4 tsp Salt

1/4 tsp turmeric

1. Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until smooth.

2. When mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring often.

3. Remove pan from heat. Leave uncovered for 1 minute, then cover pan with lid until cool. Chill and store in a covered container.

Thanks! I just saw this! I will try it!

I know the up to date canning books have recipes , but here is one to just make and refrigerate for use during the week...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Mustard-from-Scratch

It looks pretty easy and simple ingredients if you have mustard seed in bulk to use, all else is standard in most of our kitchens, oh, and a mortar and pestle of some sort.

As soon as I get an order for mustard seed I will probably just make this up fresh, if I don't also make up some to can. It sounds pretty good. You can change the flavorings as you like.

Edited by sassenach

I know the up to date canning books have recipes , but here is one to just make and refrigerate for use during the week...

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Mustard-from-Scratch

It looks pretty easy and simple ingredients if you have mustard seed in bulk to use, all else is standard in most of our kitchens, oh, and a mortar and pestle of some sort.

As soon as I get an order for mustard seed I will probably just make this up fresh, if I don't also make up some to can. It sounds pretty good. You can change the flavorings as you like.

Oh yum! Thanks! I can't wait to make some!

mom, I will definitely follow a canning recipe for mustard I was to can up for long term storage, this is just mustard for refrigeration and immediate consumption, that I posted, but it looks pretty simple to be able to whip up some.

Thanks Arby! I have a few to can, but would be nice to try these others and stick in the fridge.

We buy a mustard sauce I haven't been able to duplicate yet.. but dill in the mustard (and it's sweet) is very good.

Never heard of that before. So I went looking for it, figuring I'd find the brand/product you get.

Instead I found all these recipes!!!! :cele:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mustard+sauce+with+dill&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts