MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pressure-canned marinara sauce

The lemon juice is still required whether you use a water bath recipe or a pressure canner recipe.

I understand that. The issue is that the water bath contains triple the amount of acid than the pressure canned ones for the recipes I've seen. We'd prefer to do one with less acid since my dad is so sensitive to it.

Can I just make my regular marinara, acidify it according to the standard, and can that?

Darlene's Marinara

3T olive oil

6 oz chopped onion

2 oz quartered fresh garlic

1/4 oz fresh parsley minced

1/4 oz fresh basil sliced

1t pepper

3 1/2t kosher salt

2 quarts home canned tomatoes

1 jumbo can tomato puree

1 whole peeled carrot

1t garlic powder

Sautee the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add puree, squash tomatoes and add to sauce. Add parsley, basil, pepper, kosher salt and garlic powder and whole carrot (this reduces the acidity of marinara with a natural sugar) and simmer on low heat for a few hours.

Pour into quart or pint jars and process 25 minutes for quarts, 20 minutes for pints at appropriate pressure for your elevation.

And that's it!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is probably a silly question, but what do you do with the whole, peeled, carrot? Do you just add it whole to the mixture while cooking and discard after putting everything else into jars? Or do you do something like shred it and add to the sauce? Just want to be sure before I make this.

• 1 year later...

Darlene's Marinara

3T olive oil

6 oz chopped onion

2 oz quartered fresh garlic

1/4 oz fresh parsley minced

1/4 oz fresh basil sliced

1t pepper

3 1/2t kosher salt

2 quarts home canned tomatoes

1 jumbo can tomato puree

1 whole peeled carrot

1t garlic powder

Sautee the onion and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Add puree, squash tomatoes and add to sauce. Add parsley, basil, pepper, kosher salt and garlic powder and whole carrot (this reduces the acidity of marinara with a natural sugar) and simmer on low heat for a few hours.

Pour into quart or pint jars and process 25 minutes for quarts, 20 minutes for pints at appropriate pressure for your elevation.

And that's it!

Hi Darlene,

Didn't your recipe at one time, have yellow and green peppers in it? What were the quantities and did the processing time change? I grew colored sweet peppers just for your marinara sauce. We love it!