MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

i think my canner is ruined

Deerslayer

ok--i started up my all american canner this am to try to get the hang of pressure canning(some of you will remember that i am scared of the pressure canner) so, i am canning up some pints of beans, everything is going great, then, 5 minutes before the time is up, the pressure drops to zero--so i open up the canner, and it is empty--no water

i redid the jars, and started it up again, now i can't get it to pressure up--30 minutes to get to 8 pounds--it won't go higher no matter what i have done-- so, have i ruined the canner?? i sure hate to spend that money on another one, maybe it is time to just give up and re3alize that i have wasted enough of my money and life trying to pressure can ... :sad-smiley-012:

steam was coming out of the hole where it is supposed to--so i let it vent for 7 min like the book says, then put the weight on--then it wont build pressure--just stays the same--i don't know how much water is in it--2 inches like the book says is what i started out with

steam was coming out of the hole where it is supposed to--so i let it vent for 7 min like the book says, then put the weight on--then it wont build pressure--just stays the same--i don't know how much water is in it--2 inches like the book says is what i started out with

I don't think 2 inches was enough we always go by quarts - and it needs 2 to 3 quarts each time you load it up?

sorry can't be of more help then that.

:AmishMichael2:

You needed much more water than that especially since you were canning a long time food. The recommended 3" is just a MINIMUM recommendation and for many items several more inches is needed. In fact a good rule of thumb is 6" of water minimum before the jars go in no matter what you are canning.

But when a canner boils dry the only thing it can really hurt is if it warps and if that happens you should see steam leaking out around the rim of the lid. Boiling dry can't really hurt either the gauge or the weight unless you let it boil dry for a long time. There is more of a chance of hurting the stove burner itself.

I'd let it cool for 24 hours and then try again just using jars of water so you don't waste more food. Fill the canner with hot tap water and turn the heat on med while you get the jars ready. Put in the jars and put on the lid and turn up the heat to high. Let steam come out of the vent tube steadily for 10 mins. then put on the weight and reduce the heat to med high.

AI assume your altitude requires 15 lbs. right? If so once the weight is on you should see the pressure on the gauge steadily climb to 15 lbs and the weight begin to spin and hiss.

If steam begins to leak out around the lid rim then the canner may have warped.

Archived