MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

THOUGHTS FOR TODAY

Haven't worked at the homestead at all this week. MrWE2 got his new glasses and we're thinking they're what's making him dizzy. He took them off & put on his old ones (no prescription, just bifocals) and he's not dizzy. We checked the new ones and they're prescription up and bifocals down. The woman optician (?) I have never been satisfied with her work and on my last contacts went back, refused to see her and saw the gentleman I usually had check my eyes, and got it straight. I didn't return the glasses, but I should have. When we went this time, he was on his honeymoon so our appt. was with her. I went back and again told her "these contacts aren't working for me". My glasses have been on order for 3 weeks. So...we'll be making another visit next week and they'll either get it right or they can return our $900 for two pairs of glasses (frames and lenses) that aren't right and they can shove the order on new contacts!

I don't know why they do that. When I got my last pair, they brought them out and when I put them on, I got very upset. I could not see anything! They said, "Oh, your eyes will get used to them." I refused to take them and made them go back and fix them. I was not paying $800.00 for glasses I could not see with.

Hoping they fix your DH's.

(((WE2's)))

Still experiencing the dizzy and lightheaded stuff, so it's not his glasses. Have taken his BP and it's good. Claritin (for inner ear?) doesn't make any difference. I started getting vertigo about a year ago and it's never quite went away. Have a constant tiny ringing/buzz in my left ear so I know what vertigo is like...ugh. No nausea and meal times don't make a difference (thought maybe low blood sugar etc.) We'll call doc tomorrow to see if he can sort this out.

No dizzy stuff today :-) Sis came to join us as we worked again on mother's apartment. Really made some headway :-) Polished up all the LR furniture and took pics of the couch, recliner, lift recliner, tables and lamps and have them listed on a local server. Trying to avoid costs of an auctioneer. Day started out as rainy, but then changed over to party sunny, though it was a bit humid. Took MrWE2's glasses back and they removed the lenses and are re-ordering them. Admitted there was a "mis-understanding" on what he wanted..."reading glasses"!!!! What's so hard to understand about that :-( They had "over-laid" the tiny lens corection she thought he needed over the bifocals. Figure that one out if you dare! Anyway, they're supposed to be re-making them. My glasses apparently were re-jected by the original manufacturer and they're re-doing them totally. Contacts? Who knows when they'll be in, perhaps a few days...they say. I can understand my delay on my glasses because I need such strong powers and I'm glad they trashed the first ones and are starting over :-) Will head out tomorrow for the Roost to get the Lambsquarter and wild onions planted "on the bank" :-) The Jerusalem Artichokes are coming up. Still want to get starts from my blackberries and rasberries too, as well as a patch of garlic (which will have to be planted this fall) and a patch of asparagus. Want to take down the two redbuds and mulberry tree eventually and plant some dwarf apple trees. Lots and lots of stuff to do. Sometimes we're so far behind we actually think we're ahead! :24:

No dizzy stuff today..................... Sometimes we're so far behind we actually think we're ahead! :24:

Good to hear no dizzy stuff.... :pray:

Can I use that saying? "...So far behind, I think I'm ahead...." Priceless. :D

No dizzy stuff today..................... Sometimes we're so far behind we actually think we're ahead! :24:

Good to hear no dizzy stuff.... :pray:

Can I use that saying? "...So far behind, I think I'm ahead...." Priceless. :D

Yup ... just give credit when it's due :D

Edited by The WE2's

Got the wild onions and the lambs quarter planted "on the bank" at the Roost today. Was hot work but we'll be glad we did. Got some furniture of mother's sold so the Trust will enjoy that. Brother got the bank thing straightened out ... that is good. Laws have changed I guess so now a successor trustee has to get a tax ID and become the trustee. Probably has something to do with the fact that we bought the homestead house from the trust and will be making payments to it until we sell it and the trust can be dissolved (or whatever is supposed to be done with it). Son got the gas and water in his name with some help from local agencies and is working on the electric. That's what happens when people skip out on utility bills and think they can ride the coat tails of "friends or family" the rest of their life! It may sound harsh but I don't miss that son/mom relationship at all. It was (and is) the pits...I just didn't know what was going on behind my back. Seems he tried just about everything to get mother to put things in his name ... even the house. Glad we bought it legally (several years ago) from the trust and our attorney drew up the contract and a local title company closed it. As I told MrWE2 ... "I took the knife out of his hand". MrWE2 still hasn't had any dizzy spells but we're thinking he probably still should call the doc and see what he thinks was up...but MrWe2 hates to pay a $100 office call to be told something simple like "it's sinus/allergies" or ??? It is sort of strange though that when he left the client's house (work site) that had cats and smelled like cats and we left the pollen laden campground that the dizziness seems to have disappeared...figure?

• 1 month later...

April and May have been like a rat race...and June is trying to start out the same way :-( MrWE2 worked most of the day for a client (that is good!) and got another call from a lady friend that needs some light fixtures and a towel bar put up (that is good!) so I dug out all my winter/long sleeved clothes and vacuum sealed them down in our space bags and rolled up all my tank tops & hung my shorter sleeved tops in the closet. Then we tackled most of his winter clothing etc. Tomorrow we'll work at the homestead to get things ready for the sale this weekend. He also wants to add to his scrap metal collection. He spent Monday breaking old fans etc., down. The old motors have value in our area, and the wiring etc., has brass. Abby-girl spent the day "bonding" with me :-) How do I know? When MrWE2 came in the back door after work, she barked at him (before she saw him)! :-) Then it was a butt-wagging good old time...her human daddy was back where she likes him to be ... with her and her human mommy! LOL Temp was pretty warm today so when I got out of shower I put on my nickers and a strap blouse...really felt good. I haven't been able to wear the tops "comfy" for a year or so...but losing the weight put me back where I'm supposed to be :-) Then made a trip to Aldi's for eggs, popcorn, cookies & found some chicken breasts on sale so put a couple of bags in the deep freeze here. Now I'm a bit tuckered out. My feet feel like they're on fire, even though they're thongs. Been on them buggers pretty much all day.

Another hot day today. I put my hot rollers in this morning and didn't take them out until after supper! LOL Figured with my hair getting wet at the roots it wouldn't do any good to remove them etc.! :24: MrWE2 did some caulking around the rim cap of Miss B., she's had a leak since we got her. Thought he had it sealed but not. Quit about 3:00 (was in the 90's) and went over to the homestead and got all the clothing put on hangers and hung on racks for the sale this weekend. Got most of everything priced. Will work a bit tomorrow & then put the signs out around town. We've already listed it on a free local classified server. It's worked very well in the past. Chose not to pay the newspaper since they're saying it might rain. It's not a matter of us since we'll be inside...it's whether people will come out and we don't want to waste our money. My necklace broke a couple of days ago so took it to the jeweler that I brought it from about a year or so ago, and they replaced it. I bought the "forever" gold chain and they say if it breaks or stretches, they'll replace it. They did :-) Nice doing business with them. :D That's where we got our wedding rings.

MrWE2 got the caulking finished on Miss B and got Abby-girl's yard knocked down with the weed eater. The weed eater we had went toes up, even after MrWE2 bought & installed a new "bulb" for the prime. So...had to go get a new one. We'll take this one back to the repair shop we bought it from and see if he can fix it "again". Got nearly all the stuff priced & on tables etc., for the sale Friday and Saturday. Hoping & praying we can sell most of it, otherwise this is the last time we're messing with it. This will be the 4th time we've had sales and the inventory is dwindling, but we need it GONE so we can do some work on the homestead house. Still another hot day, 90's. Even though the a/c is not turned down much, it still runs more than we'd like to see it run so we'll call our a/c maintenance company and have them do the annaul clean/tune-up on it in July. Hopefully that will take care of it until next summer. Used the Nuwave induction cooktop with my Nuwave pressure cooker and had a spaghetti-type meal done pretty quick. It's wonderful for either of our campers but I like to cook on it here sometimes :-)

It was hot...and a small rain front moved through about noon without much ado. People just aren't getting out to sales these days :-( Oh well...tomorrow is the last day. We'll not mess with Mother's things anymore. We're telling the rest of the kids it's going to be donated. We ended up nearly begging people to buy puzzles, vhs's and books so sold a few :-( She had such lovely blouses and shirts, we priced at 50 cents each...and sold about three! Worked from 8am to 5pm...for $25.

Sorry about that! That was a lot of time and hard work for nothing...

I am not sure what people are looking for ..

Here the auction sales are fewer....estate sales are more frequent,

I think the auctioneers are pricing themselves out of business at $2500

per sale up front when they list...doesn't matter if your stuff does not

bring $2500 you still owe them.

Oye! That's discouraging. You'd have to be selling a whole farm to make an auctioneer worthwhile.

Sorry you didn't have more success, WE2s. :( Well, GoodWill might charge even more for some of the things you donate. At least most thrift stores do charitable work with the money earned at the shops. Your mother's things will eventually do someone some good!

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Settled up with little brother today on proceeds, so have a little bit extra $$$. My 1/4th just about re-paid the May & June house payments (we make payments on the homestead to the Trust) we made. When mother was alive, she added the monthly payment to her social security. Now we'll make those payments to the bank account being set up for her Trust, and at the end of the year it will be split 4 ways, one of which is my share which will be re-funded about 3 monthly payments. Talked with a lady yesterday, and it's been over 2 years since her mother passed, without a will etc., and it's still tied up in probate...all the time the attorney/administrator will be "earning" their share of whatever it is. The worst is they CANNOT touch a thing, sell a thing, nothing...until it's out of probate. Sooooo glad we convinced mother to set her's up :-) We have our in a Living Trust also. The siblings are really glad! All by one has now set their stuff up in a Living Trust...even if all they own is a car or house.

We made a MAJOR decision and have notified my siblings...we are keeping the Homestead house and selling these other two. We'll finish the remodeling on the Roost and sell it first. We plan to use some of the funds to remodel the Homestead's interior so we can move in, then we'll sell this place. Son knows he's not staying there. We wondered how the siblings would take us deciding to keep the house, but they seemed okay with it. We've got 50k just in outbuildings plus the payments we've made on the house itself, and remodeled the old apartment upstairs for son to live in...and it's on 3/4 of an acre right in town. Close to doctors, hospitals, recreation AND friends. We're just getting too old to think about buying land, building a house, putting in utilities etc. I told MrWE2 "I am a homsteader. I want to spend some time traveling and enjoying my life. He considered it and came to the same conclusion. I'm sure son will be really disappointed to learn we're taking over "OUR' property and he's not going to stay there. I'm sure he thought if we sold it he could talk the new owners into letting him stay there...NOT. When the Roost actually sells (if he's not gone by then) we'll serve him his 30-day notice, figuring it will probably take another 3 months to get him evicted. He's on a waiting list for subsidized housing for disabled and seniors...at least he says he is :-( He's not been good at telling the trust. Not sure how easy it's going to be for him to find something subsidized that will allow him 2 dogs and 2 cars. But, that's not our problem! He'll be 48 next month, and it's time for him to support himself, somehow! He's went through two wives who got tired of supporting him :-( Momma and step-daddy will go no further in helping him out. When he came back from AZ with only his truck and 2 dogs. we got him settled (furnished EVERYTHING in the apt. etc.) and told him it was not going to be a permanent thing. We intend to keep reminding him that he'g got to make plans to move or else. It's truly a relief for me. I was really dreading trying to find land & start from scratch ... when I'm nearing 70!

Wills are so very important! My cousin and her husband had theirs all set up but they had her name AND his name on it. It should have said OR. When she died he had to wait over a year and a half for it to go through probate plus hire an attorney. He almost lost the house. The worry and stress was horrible. Not to mention losing his wife.

It sounds like a good move We2! I feel the same way at my age too. Starting over is one thing...starting from scratch is one thing I don't want to do now. What's that old saying, "Youth is wasted on the young."

You are soooo right Jeeps! And honestly, it's a relief for me. I'm a few years older than MrWE2 and I know my body has slowed down these past 3 or 4 years, and especially after the major surgery incident. I'm still re-gaining my strength, and will have been a year next month. If SHTF happens (and I say if) then we have some friends that own a large farm (pretty much in the boonies and in a very tiny town) that we could probably bug out to. We'll be talking to them more than we have. Every time we all talk about something like that, they say "you know you're always welcome...just come on". But, in a SHTF situation we need to discuss it more thoroughly.

I've been referred to a neurologist, or another one. I really don't recall whether I saw one last year. Something happened, possibly a "silent stroke" or a couple of them, in which case it probably happened about two months ago. I remember two patches of "lost" days in April where I went home and stared at the walls, pretty much. When I was filling out my time sheet at the end of April, I had to look up the code for sick leave four times, then had to write it down. Couldn't remember it. After *years* of using that code. End of May was better, but then I had the brain scan on June 1 that said "oh, yah. New load of damage here." I'm still getting better. I just need to know what went wrong, and how best to get out of this hole.

Starting from scratch...I think that would be totally foolhardy for me right now. So many dreams. But I let the years go by, and now what's left? Three quarters of an acre would be a huge step up. But I can't even keep my yard in order, and my plantings are all dying or growing out of bounds. What's the good of fruit you won't ever be able to reach?

I've been referred to a neurologist, or another one. I really don't recall whether I saw one last year. Something happened, possibly a "silent stroke" or a couple of them, in which case it probably happened about two months ago. I remember two patches of "lost" days in April where I went home and stared at the walls, pretty much. When I was filling out my time sheet at the end of April, I had to look up the code for sick leave four times, then had to write it down. Couldn't remember it. After *years* of using that code. End of May was better, but then I had the brain scan on June 1 that said "oh, yah. New load of damage here." I'm still getting better. I just need to know what went wrong, and how best to get out of this hole.

Starting from scratch...I think that would be totally foolhardy for me right now. So many dreams. But I let the years go by, and now what's left? Three quarters of an acre would be a huge step up. But I can't even keep my yard in order, and my plantings are all dying or growing out of bounds. What's the good of fruit you won't ever be able to reach?

We just read a book where a professional fruit tree guy, keeps ALL his trees cut back to a height that he can reach without using a ladder. He says they grow better and have much sweeter fruit. Said it's really hard to do that first cutting, but that it's well worth the rewards. Maybe a lookup on youtube might turn him up?

Got some more mint from another friend and stuck them into my buckets that I planted the other in. I think one sprig is "chocolate mint"...:-) I'm planting them in buckets so they'll be easier to maintain. MrWE2 will be planting me a raised bed across the front of the Homestead house, just a bit away from the overhang of the huge wrap around covered porch. Then I'll be planting all my herbs and spices there and will just step off the porch into the gate (chain link fenced yard) and pick what I need :-)