Fabric-holic! Admit Your Addiction!

cookiejar

FABRIC INTERVENTION:

If you have more than 5 bins of cloth that you have not opened in 6 months

2 years?

5?

If you have enough bins to recreate a WW2 Pillbox Machine Gun nest on Your Lawn

If you consider that a *viable* excuse to get more fabric bins

If you *hide* your Fabric purchases from your loved ones because they *wouldn't understand/might get upset

If passing the Sewing Notions aisle makes you quiver

If your not even sure how many patterns you actually own

You go ballistic if someone uses your good scissors

sewingknitstar

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ok - about 3 bins of cloth and I do go through it twice a year. No more purchases till I use what I have. No hiding fabric, but look out next year when I have some spare time!

I'm okay on fabric, it gets used constantly - it's Halloween and cake decorating stuff I go mad for. All year, any store --mine mine MINE!!!

s03000.gif

Uh oh.

I like to just carress my fabric. I've got a few yards of Amy Butler and just looking at it makes me happy. And I know it's wrong, but I do hide fabric. I don't think he'd care but I'm content living in denial. I just got some sock monkey fabric, but at least I've already cut it.

Sock Monkeys

went to fabric store yesterday for some thread. Came out with $100.00 worth of fabric and supplies I use all the time. Guilty of all the above. One might think fabric is hidden but not if I know where it is. Sissors guilty even my 3 yr old grandson knows not to get anything off my sewing table. He told on his mama over the weekend for just picking up my sissors. He is trained WELL. busted

**Cat quickly hides the latest stash of Wal-Mart remnants behind her back...**

Addiction? whistling

What addiction??? shrug

rofl

busted I have far too many addictions and I don't know if it's good for me to be hanging out with all of you, especially when you make me admit my addictions. rofl

I have bins and boxes of fabric. Some, I haven't seen in a long time.

I have good scissors that I have written "Good" or "Cloth" with a Sharpy but my husband uses them anyway. furious

I buy more fabric every chance I get, even though I have very little time to do anything with it. I keep saying "some day, I will have time to do something with this" and I buy it anyway.

All I can say is that I'm glad that I'm not alone with this addiction. grouphug2

LivingSimple you are not the only guilty party! Yes cat I too hide the scrap that cost 10 cents at wal-mart. And Melissa if you do not hide that sock monkey material good enough.............., well don't come to my house. That is too adorable.

ME?!? Oh my! bags and boxes and totes and owner of at least 4 sewing machines(electric) and one treadle.

NO....I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM!!

LOL LOL roflbounce

Originally Posted By: cookiejar
Originally Posted By: quiltys41
cloud9 Fabric!! AHHH cloud9 Okay...so I have a whole room devoted to fabric...

Q

A shock.gif room???

I'm not sure they HAVE Intervention teams for that level of addiction. rofl

You mean you can keep all yours in one room?
Lets see Michael has some bins and boxes in his office/craft room, Then there is some on shelves in the pantry, some more totes in the hallway going to the cellar, lots in boxes in the store room, then some more under the train table and then there are the boxes in the bedroom.Then and next to the craft table is Boxes of things he is working on now?
The bad part is if he is working on something and needs a bit of this or that . . . He KNOWS WHERE IT IS!
and we are NOT going to talk about all the Quilt books He has!

LOL! Brook, how much fabric do YOU have??

Originally Posted By: westbrook
what are you all talking about?

you mean you have an addiction to fabric?

you people are sick!

'Train table?' MODEL train table? Electric trains?! ...take deep breath, calm down, she probably means something different...

13.gif

12-Step Program for the Fabricoholic

1. fondle fabric

2. listen for fabric to talk to you

3. buy fabric

4. wash fabric

5. properly age fabric

6. listen for fabric to talk to you

7. review 11 patterns which spoke to you about that fabric

8. put back 7 patterns

9. listen for 4 patterns to cuss you out

10. put back 3 patterns

11. donate 2 patterns to the Goodwill shop

12. give the fabric to a 10-year-old to make beanie baby sleeping bags

Fabricholic's Will

Being of sound mind and body, I _____________________________, do hereby record my last will and testament, knowing that ____________________________, my _______________________, (husband, sister, daughter, etc.) has no appreciation of, or in some instances knowledge of, my extensive fabric collection deposited throughout the house.

Knowing also that __________________________ has notified the local thrift store should I precede him or her to the great fabric shop in the sky, to pick up and dispose of the aforementioned collection.

Therefore, I do will this collection, and all collections related to it, to my dear fabric preservationist _______________________. It is my wish that she/he, upon hearing of my death and the inability to take it with me, come to my home and stack my entire collection in my studio. She/He should then purchase refreshments for all my friends, and they shall gather in that room and remember me, then peacefully divide the collection amongst themselves.

Be forewarned, I will be hovering over this process! The rest of my worldly possessions (car, stocks, house, etc.) can go to those who do not understand this event.

Signed ________________________________________

Dated _____________________________

Note: Please keep in mind that this is meant to be humor, and is not meant to replace actual consultation with an attorney.

Page maintained by Carole Parker

http://home.inreach.com/mrbilll/costuming/Humor/fabWill.html

The 12 Traditions Of Fabric(s) Anonymous

(Or, why, despite ourselves, we're not organized.)

by Don Garvey

Published with the permission of Don Garvey, October 2002.

1. Our common welfare should come first - let others know where the bargains are. (After you've been there first, of course.)

2. For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority - the loving Gods of Costuming, who express themselves through our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern. (Yeah. Right. By the way, that bridge in Brooklin I've been talking about...)

3. The only requirement for F.A. membership is a desire to stop buying fabric. (Really? In your dreams!)

4. Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or F.A. as a whole. (My group's better than your group...)

5. Each group has but one primary purpose...to carry the message to the fabricaholic, who still suffers. (Sale at the Thrift Shop...50% off!)

6. An F.A. group out never endorses, finances, or lends the F.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, least problems of money, power, and prestige divert us from our primary purpose. (Really? My own line of designer fabrics...?)

7. Every F.A. group should be fully self supporting, declining outside contributions. (We support the thrift shop, the department store, the fabric store...)

8. Fabrics Anonymous should remain forever nonprofessional, but our service centres may employ special workers. (I've got someone going through withdrawal here. I need a swatch of fabric, STAT!)

9. F.A., as such, ought never to be organized, but we may create service boards or committees directly responsible to those they serve. (The tour bus for the fabric district leaves at...)

10. Fabrics Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues, hence the F.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy. (Is wool better than polyester? Beats me.)

11. Our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films. (NO! Not that spotlight! It's mine!)

12. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all of our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities. (Huh! Who, us?)

100 Ways to Hide Your Stash

These lyrics are posted with the permission of the copyright holder, Cathy Miller. If you would like to order the CD "One Stitch At a Time," please contact Ms. Miller at: http://www.singingquilter.com

Ms. Miller also pointed out that TV quilter and personality Eleanor Burns has done a music video of this song. The video or DVD can be ordered from Ms. Burns at: http://www.quiltinaday.com/

Copyright 2000 by Cathy Miller

He doesn't have to know everything

A few secrets keep a marriage fresh as spring

I'll have it in, and out of sight in a flash

There are 100 ways to hide your stash.

Fill up the cupboard, hide the evidence

Pile it in the pantry spare no expense

Keep it with the kids' clothes, lay it with the wine

Keep it all together where the sun don't shine!

Put it in a Safeway bag, bring it in with the groceries

Call it "Christmas presents - and don't you peek!"

You're "keeping it for a friend" who's gone to Calgary

She'll be back soon - no there's none for me!

Don't tell him what you owe the store

He might start looking in the dryer or the drawer

It's an affliction breeding secrecy

These guilty pleasures that won't let me be

Pack it in the wardrobe, under the chair

Stack it with the linen, with the silverware

Cram it in the cellar, under the stair

With the winter clothes, with the underwear.

A woman stored hers in the ceiling overhead

For years it stayed there, overtop the bed

Her husband never ever heard a sound

Until the day it brought the ceiling down

He's got golfing and his auto parts

You've got fabric

He's got cigarettes and butter tarts

You've got fabric!

Pad it in a pillow, buy a bass violin

Cram it in a corner, tuck it in a tin

Turn off your freezer, fill up your bin

Unplug the oven, you can fit it all in

Buy a few quarters, while you're at the store

Get a little extra - more more more

Slip it in the mattress, hide it under the floor

No more room in here: buy the house next door!

http://home.inreach.com/mrbilll/costuming/Humor/100ways.html

Archived