MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food storage dates

• 5 months later...

I am totally fine with holding professionally canned goods and dry goods past their expiration, but what I wonder about are the soft-sided packages, like Tetra packs or the soft sauce packages like these - https://smile.amazon.com/McCormick-Gluten-Bourbon-Chicken-Skillet/dp/B01BNHKLIO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=mccormick+sauces&qid=1551984445&s=gateway&sr=8-6.

Does anyone have guidance about keeping these past their expiry date?

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, furbabymom said:

I am totally fine with holding professionally canned goods and dry goods past their expiration, but what I wonder about are the soft-sided packages, like Tetra packs or the soft sauce packages like these - https://smile.amazon.com/McCormick-Gluten-Bourbon-Chicken-Skillet/dp/B01BNHKLIO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=mccormick+sauces&qid=1551984445&s=gateway&sr=8-6.

Does anyone have guidance about keeping these past their expiry date?

I don't keep acidic stuff past the exp. in tin cans, but I have no problem keeping them in tetra pak. Tomatoes & pumpkin type items eat through the lining of the can. From what I read awhile back, tetra pak was better for that & no BPA.

• Like 3
On 9/14/2018 at 10:24 PM, Jeepers said:

twenty pounds of pasta

Seems this thread's been vacant for awhile...but I vacuum seal my pasta's in mason jars.  I have some (and we're using) some that I put up over 3 years ago.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, furbabymom said:

soft-sided packages,

We bought some of the Uncle Ben's pre-cooked rices in the soft packs that you can nuke for a few minutes.  They began to get hard and I had to add liquid and put them in a bowl to get them used up.  Won't buy any more.  Also tried some of those pre-packaged skillet-type things and we noticed the packages began to "swell"..just a waste of money because I pitched them.

• Like 4

Are you talking about the rice in the little cups? If so I'd better start using mine up. I like them under beef stew.

If you mean the packages...I'd better check those too. I have some of the packages stored away in buckets. I think they are Lipton brand though. Or maybe Knoor. They might even be noodles.

I'm terrible at rotating. I like to have it stowed away and forgotten about and checked off my list. I also don't like to open a bucket after its been sealed. :sigh:

• Like 2

Jeepers, I'm referring to those foil type packages that you just zip open the top and nuke them.  The dry ones from Knorr...we punched a pin hole in the top, folded the top down, put them in vacuum seal bags and vacuum sealed them down, and then into a food grade bucket with a gasket seal. We did find some of those Ramen cups that hubby had at the Roost (about 10 years old) and they tasted a bit "off" so we pitched the rest.  Also had a bucket full of the regular noodles, but haven't tried them yet to see if they're to hit the trash...if they're okay, we felt that in a life changing event, we could give them away or perhaps barter them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

rotating

We prefer to rotate the metal canned foods that we stock up on.  The one's I can I keep and use them when we want to.  Been eating out of our pantry and freezers pretty much for the last 3 months.  Still have stuff we need to pull from the freezers and pressure cook.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm terrible at rotating. I like to have it stowed away and forgotten about and checked off my list. I also don't like to open a bucket after its been sealed. :sigh:

MtRider  :busted: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 3/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, The WE2's said:

Seems this thread's been vacant for awhile...but I vacuum seal my pasta's in mason jars.  I have some (and we're using) some that I put up over 3 years ago.

I have been wanting to get a vacuum sealer for mason jars. Which one do you use? 

23 hours ago, The WE2's said:

bucket full of the regular noodles

Fixed a of them tonight and they were fine.  Put them back in their bucket.  The bucket has a nice gasket seal lid that I have to use a lid bung to get off.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

I have been wanting to get a vacuum sealer for mason jars. Which one do you use? 

We use the Food Saver.  This one is a newer model.  The older one was a real work horse and we bought all the attachments when we bought it.  We bought the canister containers and the lids as shown in my pic).  Never regretted it one minute, it's saved us much more than the cost of the machine.

101_0992 Vacuum Seal Cannister Lids.jpg

101_0993 Vacuum Seal Cannister Containers.jpg

Edited by The WE2's
  • Like 3

I have a newer Food Saver too and love it. I'm sure I'll use the extra attachments I bought to go with it more when I get moved. Food is heavy to move so I'm waiting. 

I agree, it has already paid for itself. I've used it to seal non food items like medical supplies too. I used it to seal my granny's old Bible that is falling apart.  :wub:

If I had real silverware I'd seal it up to help prevent tarnish. Actually if I had real silverware I'd have sold it by now and bought something I would actually use. Actually. 

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...

While pulling all the food out from closet in office to work on the shelving in  there, I found a 3lb container of plain M&M's They have never been opened and I forgot about them. They expired Jan. 2020.  Would they be ok keeping them unopened in the plastic container they came in or should I transfer them to a mason jar and seal it?   I was thinking about Putting them in freezer bags and freezing them but my freezers are slam packed full still. Can't seem to get them down fast enough. Though this coronavirus will change that situation as I won't be going out to stores anymore for a while.

26 minutes ago, The WE2's said:

I have chocolate squares that I vacuum sealed 3 years ago...just for fun, I opened one and other than having some whitish on it, it tasted just fine!

Thanks WE2.  I am going to put them in the jars and seal them with my seal a meal. We don't usually eat them but I like to have them here for the grandkids. Even though they are all grown now, they like to have candy now and then.

I'd seal them in a jar too. 

Not too long ago I found some cookies I had sealed In half gallon jars and stored away. They were well over a year old. I had Nilla Wafers and Lorna Doone. The Lorna Doone ones were a little off. Not bad and I ate them but I won't do then again. But the Nilla Wafers were just like the day I sealed them. I chose those two types because they are pretty rugged to begin with. The boxed Ginger Snaps were good too but they are hard to begin with. I have a gallon of Ginger Snaps sealed away for upset stomach issues. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the help with the M&M's. they are now sealed in a canning jar.  I did taste them since the expiration date was in Jan. So won't that far out. They tasted just fine.  So hoping to get another year out of them.  We really don't eat them but might give some out to the little kids around here. Just put some in a zip lock bag and pass them out. Or maybe pass them to my next door neighbor since she will be keeping her to grandchildren for next 2 or 3 weeks. One is 7 years old the other is 14 years old. 

Littlesister, you are such a good and generous soul. But be careful about letting people, in your real life, know about anything you have. Especially extras. People will turn on each other in a second if they or their children are hungry. And at our age, fighting someone off would be very difficult. Your DH life might depend on it. And yours too. Not saying this to be mean but because I care.  :hug3:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:21 PM, Jeepers said:

Littlesister, you are such a good and generous soul. But be careful about letting people, in your real life, know about anything you have. Especially extras. People will turn on each other in a second if they or their children are hungry. And at our age, fighting someone off would be very difficult. Your DH life might depend on it. And yours too. Not saying this to be mean but because I care.  :hug3:

Neighbors don't know what I have. But I have already seen what my next door neighbor has. She is well stocked. I decided though to just keep the M&M's as it would be something to snack on just a few of every so often.. Gotta have that choc. anyway. Yum!!  Thank you for that advice as you are so right about what people would do if they knew what we have.

• Like 2