MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I finally have a table space I can use as food prep space, so lots of meal ideas, along with a little less expensive food prices since I am in a new location. Plus I can grow a garden come spring time.

This is not a thread for debates on low - carb, gluten, lactose, non gmo ingredients, as individual adults who run your own kitchens who know your sensitivities per individual situation ---- you figure it out for yourselves, don't hijack the thread with overloaded 'well meant suggestions'. Make your own thread. This is for general 'Cold Weather' recipes.

Asking for a particular substitution suggestion is fine, but it's also not necessary, for more than 4 decent answers to such a question, so read up, the thread to see if it's already been answered with a reasonable solution.

These recipes can be any category of food stuffs. I thought I would start out with a couple I would like to make. The soup recipe was easy and it had a pretty good suggestion on how to freeze individual portions too. I have a good sized freezer now in a good sized refrigerator.

http://www.agingermess.com/2013/03/creamy-chicken-and-gnocchi-soup.html?m=1

Ingredients
4 Tablespoons olive oil
4 Tablespoons butter, unsalted
1 large sweet onion diced
3 stalks celery diced small
1 cup carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup already cooked chicken breast, shredded (you can use leftovers)
1/4 flour
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 cups fresh spinach
1 17.5 oz package gnocchi (it doesn't matter if it's not exactly 17.5 oz..a little more or less won't hurt a thing)

blogger-image--740497521.jpg

1. Dice up the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. This is the base for most soups. Sometimes I can't believe I didn't use to like celery.

blogger-image-364359622.jpg
2. Heat olive oil and melt butter in a large pot.

blogger-image-1075112028.jpg
3. Saute carrots, onion, celery and garlic in the olive oil/butter.

blogger-image--865000569.jpg
4. Here's the gnocchi I used. Go ahead and get a pot of salted water heating up. Don't forget the lid, it'll quicken the boiling time. Cook gnocchi according to package directions.

blogger-image-1219161327.jpg
5. Whisk flour into veggie mixture. This will create a roux (a thickening agent).

blogger-image-1066631302.jpg
6. Now add the milk and heavy cream and stir with a whisk. Stir frequently until thickens up a little.

blogger-image-1376656988.jpg
7. Now add the chicken stock, cooked chicken, thyme, salt and pepper.

blogger-image-877101697.jpg
blogger-image-1724990709.jpg
8. Add the chopped spinach and stir.

blogger-image-319753330.jpg
9. Once the gnocchi water begins to boil, drop the gnocchi in. It should only take a couple minutes for the gnocchi to be done. When you see the gnocchi begin to float to the top, you know it's ready.

blogger-image-1559837620.jpg
10. Drain gnocchi and add the the soup. Taste and adjust seasonings adding more salt and pepper if needed.
chicken+and+gnocchi+soup.jpg
One can ladle individual portions into solo cups and freeze , then slice sides of cup to remove frozen portions to bag and freeze for later meals.
I love good soups but I also love pot pies and the little muffin recipes folks have come up with for healthy small meals you can carry easily or grab and heat to eat quickly, if you do ahead. , so this was a quick mini chicken pot pie one can do if they like.
Ingredients
Chicken Mixture 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup) 1/2 cup chicken broth 1 cup frozen peas and carrots 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
Baking Mixture 1/2 cup Original Bisquick™ mix 1/2 cup milk 2 eggs
Directions
  • 1 Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 12 regular-size muffin cups with cooking spray.
  • 2 In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center. Add onion and chicken broth; heat to simmering. Add frozen vegetables and seasonings. Heat until hot, stirring occasionally until almost all liquid is absorbed. Cool 5 minutes; stir in cheese.
  • 3 In medium bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with whisk or fork until blended. Spoon 1 scant tablespoon baking mixture into each muffin cup. Top with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Spoon 1 tablespoon baking mixture onto chicken mixture in each muffin cup.
  • 4 Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. With thin knife, loosen sides of pies from pan; remove from pan and place top sides up on cooling rack. Cool 10 minutes longer, and serve.

It snowed here too, yesterday I think. :)

Pot Roast. I plan on growing some turnips and rutabagas next year. My mother never cooked with them, but I love them!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/root-vegetable-pot-roast/533d6151-1305-42ac-bc08-8125699069a7

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 lb) 3/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper 2 cups chopped onions 1 3/4 cups Progresso™ beef-flavored broth (from 32-oz carton) 1 cup dry red wine 1/4 cup tomato paste 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves 1 1/4 lb rutabaga, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes 1/2 lb parsnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces 1/2 lb turnips, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces 1/2 lb carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
Directions
  • 1 Heat oven to 350°F. In 4-quart ovenproof Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Add to Dutch oven; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove beef from Dutch oven; set aside.
  • 2 Cook onions in drippings 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. Place beef on onions. In medium bowl, stir together broth, wine, tomato paste, garlic and thyme with whisk. Pour over beef and onions. Heat to simmering.
  • 3 Cover; bake 1 hour 30 minutes. Arrange rutabaga, parsnips, turnips and carrots around beef. Cover; bake 1 hour longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. (Shred beef, using 2 forks, if desired.) Serve beef and vegetables with cooking liquid.

Sugar cookies with M&M's, an easy recipe.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sugar-cookie-mms-bars/3e143dd9-04af-4cf8-80d9-980fb2a57867

Ingredients
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker™ sugar cookie mix 1/2 cup butter, softened 1 egg 1 cup M&M's™ chocolate candies 1 cup white vanilla baking chips
Directions
  • 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
  • 2 In large bowl, mix cookie mix, butter and egg with spoon until soft dough forms. Stir in 1/2 cup of the candies and the white vanilla baking chips. Press dough in bottom of pan. Sprinkle remaining candies over top.
  • 3 Bake 22 to 24 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on cooling rack, about 1 hour. Cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store in airtight container.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/sugar-cookie-mms-bars/3e143dd9-04af-4cf8-80d9-980fb2a57867

A Christmas snack.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/reindeer-chocolate-coated-pretzel-rods/4a2acf65-3672-4578-a86d-32b0a5f53f44

The most famous reindeer at your house will be these cute munchable treats!

Ingredients
4 ounces chocolate-, vanilla- or butterscotch-flavored candy coating (almond bark), chopped 12 large pretzel twists 12 pretzel rods 24 miniature semisweet chocolate chips 12 M&M's™ chocolate candies red 1 roll Betty Crocker™ Fruit by the Foot™ cherry or other flavor chewy fruit snack rolls 12 M&M's™ minis chocolate candies green
Directions
  • 1 Place candy coating in 1-cup microwavable measuring cup. Microwave uncovered on High 30 to 60 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds, until melted.
  • 2 Dip pretzel twists into melted candy coating. Place on waxed paper. Let stand until coating is set.
  • 3 If necessary, rewarm coating. Dip top 2 inches of pretzel rod into melted candy coating; attach pretzel rod to bottom of pretzel twist. Place on waxed paper.
  • 4 To make reindeer, press on chcolate chips for eyes and red candy for nose using melted candy coating. Cut scarf from fruit roll; attach to reindeer using candy coating. Press on green candy for button using candy coating. Place on waxed paper. Let stand until coating is set. Store coated pretzel rods loosely covered at room temperature no longer than 2 weeks.

73f9430d-2a5e-453f-8c54-a2ca24a12d4c.jpg

GOOD%20MORNING%20SNOWMAN%20IN%20TREES_zp

How is this one,

Christmas Breakfast Sausage Casserole

• 9 h 50 m 8 servings Prep 20 m Cook 1 h 30 m Ready In 9 h 50 m

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground pork sausage
  • 1 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
  • 8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

1. Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9x13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  4. Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.

I haven't tried it, but, it sound good. :)

TWO%20SNOWMEN%202_zpsf2iklhb2.jpg HUGS%20ORNAMENT%20WITH%20PENQUIN_zpsumlr

Eggnog bread.

Eggnog bread
1/4 cup (60g) butter
1 cup (240 mL) eggnog (add 1/2 teaspoon rum extract if your eggnog is non-alcoholic)
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
1 egg
2 cups (250g) flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup (110g) walnuts or pecans
Pre- greased pan. 350F . Bake time about an hour.