MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

OKAY, MY JELLY DIDN'T GEL...WHAT NOW?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I followed the directions to the letter, the only difference being that I started with frozen, concentrated juice instead of processing a bunch of apples to make my own juice. All measurements were exact, and it was cooked according to temperature, instead of using the plate or sheeting method to determine the gel stage. What did we do wrong, and how can we fix it?!?!

I hate trying to make jelly! It's a major pain to me, and I can never get it right!

Guest Guest

Thanks, Lois! I guess I'll go buy some Sure-Jel today... so, it's okay to open it up and cook it again?

I thought pectin was derived from apples, so I thought just using the juice would work. The instructions I had said that apple juice would work w/o added pectin.

I guess I shouldn't take anymore shortcuts...

• 1 month later...

My crabapple jelly didn't gel either! Read through all the replies and found out that certo expires (I didn't know that). Mine is expired. What I need to know is if I can put in Freezer Jam Gelling Powder (it's all I have in the house) if THAT will work?

ok either you did not cook it long enough or the juice that you used (frozen) was to much water added to it....was it store bought??????they add water to the juice when the make into concentrate,,,,,,cook it longer and add a wee bit of lemon to it.....i make around 150 pints of jelly each year and most and i say most of it jells....what does not is use as syrup .......or i just re cook it then put it back in the jars,,,also i do not use Certo or grocery pectin ....I use Pomona Universal Pectin...i buy it by the lb or case which ever i can get my hands on .....you can double, quadruple and even more and add it all together and make jelly...it is so much nicer to make 40 jars at a time than 6,,,,,,,,,takes less sugar too...take care and keep the faith

• 11 months later...

I just ordered some of this Pomona Universal Pectin that you mentioned motherearth. From what I could read at their site, it allows flexibility as to how much sugar is required and has a much higher rate of jelling than the pectin bought in the grocery store, plus it's alot cheaper when you buy the bulk sizes...

I'm excited to get it and try it out...although I have fairly good success with my jams, the times when they don't jell are frustrating...

*pout*

• 10 months later...
Quote:
ok either you did not cook it long enough or the juice that you used (frozen) was to much water added to it....was it store bought??????they add water to the juice when the make into concentrate,,,,,,cook it longer and add a wee bit of lemon to it.....i make around 150 pints of jelly each year and most and i say most of it jells....what does not is use as syrup .......or i just re cook it then put it back in the jars,,,also i do not use Certo or grocery pectin ....I use Pomona Universal Pectin...i buy it by the lb or case which ever i can get my hands on .....you can double, quadruple and even more and add it all together and make jelly...it is so much nicer to make 40 jars at a time than 6,,,,,,,,,takes less sugar too...take care and keep the faith
Shawna
Guest Guest

When my jelly does not turn into jelly or jam does not turn into jam (which happens quite frequently for some reason any more), we use it for pancake syrup. LOL The grandkids love it on pancakes. I used to be able to make jelly and jam without any troubles...