MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Had someone gift us with a whole lotta green bananas! :-) We put them in paper grocery bags with an apple for about 4 days, and today they were ready for the dehydrators. The peels were still a bit green but the flesh was perfect. Not a bit squishy. Also caught chocolate mint patties at $Tree so was able to put back 3 quarts of them, with a 300cc OA. We'll enjoy them when the snow's aflyin' :D

post-9087-0-45132100-1450143086_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-03510000-1450143096_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-81331400-1450143109_thumb.jpg

That's a tall dehydrator you got going there! I'm still trying to talk myself into getting an Excaliber dehydrator. I've had it in my wish list at Amazon for a few months but I'm having trouble justifying the cost. I want a new dehydrator because I need one with a thermostat on it. I could get a Nesco with a temperature setting for close to $100.00 with added trays. The Excaliber on my list is $200.00 and it's the last one I'd ever have to buy. I'm really having trouble finalizing the sale. :sigh:

OT but..WE2, you said it would taste good when the snow's a-flyin' reminded me of my grandma. When I was a young girl and was helping her prepare food for canning, I would get tired and want to quit. She would always say, "But think how good this will be when the snow's a-flyin'!". Now my family uses that phrase when we're canning and wishing we were doing something else!

OT but..WE2, you said it would taste good when the snow's a-flyin' reminded me of my grandma. When I was a young girl and was helping her prepare food for canning, I would get tired and want to quit. She would always say, "But think how good this will be when the snow's a-flyin'!". Now my family uses that phrase when we're canning and wishing we were doing something else!

:thumbs: Does that date me? LOL

:motz_6::banghead: :frying pan: :baseballbat:

I finally made up my mind to order the blasted Excaliber dehydrator and ...IT'S SOLD OUT! Serves me right for stalling around. :sad-smiley-012:

I guess I'll look at some others. That was a 9 tray one. Maybe I'll look at the 5 tray ones. A 7 tray one would be perfect but I didn't see any. I made a list of all the things I want to get dehydrated this winter and decided a one time purchase for the Excaliber was worth it for me. Sigh.

I checked out the 5 tray ones. They cost about as much as the 9 tray. :o

Edited by Jeepers

:motz_6::banghead: :frying pan: :baseballbat:

I finally made up my mind to order the blasted Excaliber dehydrator and ...IT'S SOLD OUT! Serves me right for stalling around. :sad-smiley-012:

I guess I'll look at some others. That was a 9 tray one. Maybe I'll look at the 5 tray ones. A 7 tray one would be perfect but I didn't see any. I made a list of all the things I want to get dehydrated this winter and decided a one time purchase for the Excaliber was worth it for me. Sigh.

I checked out the 5 tray ones. They cost about as much as the 9 tray. :o

I've heard from several people, be SURE to order all the trays, mesh liners and leather liners that you'll need for the number of trays your unit will hold because they're hard to come by. Just tellin' ya what I've heard :-) I know we had a time finding the right ones for our big dehydrator. But I've got what I need for it. The other one I use consistently has enough trays but I'm going to have to make a visit to WM to buy the mesh so I can just make my own for it, and will use parchment paper for the leather trays. The one that's never been opened? guess I should check to see if the trays for my little one will work on it :-)

I bit the bullet and ordered one. I got the extra liners with it too; the ones for making leathers. The model is the next step up. It has a timer where the other one didn't. I would have been satisfied without one though. It was the only one left. I'm thinking lots of people must be getting a dehydrator for Christmas this year! It was almost $50.00 more but since I didn't have to run my air conditioner this summer and I haven't had to pay the snow plow guy yet and this winter has been kind to my gas bill...yeah, I'm justifying.

My son used my other one for drying hot peppers so I'll just let him have it. Merry Christmas kid! :grinning-smiley-044:

I don't even try to dehydrate potatoes :-) Tried it ONCE when I got my first dehydrater and even spraying with lemon juice, they turned black. Yuck!

Did you blanch them first?

:wormie2:

John

Yep, and they still were white in the middle and black or gray around the edges (cubes). I now just buy potatoes, bake them, then freeze them when they're cool....or I simply can them :-)

• 1 month later...

Those dehydrator shelves.... sneaky! I lost all but one of my "fruit leather" trays. They never did show up again but at least I've got everything else after being reunited with my dehydrator and a lot of other stuff after our stint on Maui.

MtRider ...glad yours came home! :lol:

I keep a white trash bag with the pull strings for the trays, mesh & leathers for the big dehydrator (it's 16 shelves) and a large Cabelas bag for the smaller dehydrator and it's mesh & leathers (12 shelves...?) but somehow these slipped out and behind. I'm thinking in my hurry after washing and drying them, I just sat them on top of the bag :-( Won't do that no mo, no mo!

My online friend that sort of talked me into the excalibur has had hers since the early 80's and I have seen where so many folks say they have had theirs 25 and 30 years. Just so worth it when something last that long. Hubby and my daughter got me mine for Christmas and I have had it going almost the whole time. I have dehydrated loads of stuff now and am trying to clean out my old old freezer because I worry about losing my food if it goes bad. I dread when it finally goes out because from what I hear these they're making now a days don't last but around 10 years. This one is almost 37 years old. Anyway I am slowly but surely getting my food out dehydrating it. 4-5-6 bags at a time. :)

I am Deh. corn, peas, and blueberries now. Deh. blueberries, okra and corn yesterday.

Edited by RoseMarie

My blueberries in the freezer were many years old. Found them near the bottom. They were SO dehydrated from being in there so long. I simmered them with sugar/water for a while. They plumped right up. Then added a bit of corn starch and had the best topping for pancakes.

MtRider .....assume it would work for blueberries that you've INTENTIONALLY dehydrated too. :lol:

I've had my Excalibur for a couple of months now and really love it. I've only had time to do some frozen corn but it is working out great. I figured it will be the last dehydrator I'll ever have to buy. I like that I don't have to keep flipping the trays around to get things to dry evenly. I also needed one with a thermostat. I know I'll be using it a lot more this summer.Time just hasn't been on my side lately.

I've read where fresh blueberries need to either be stuck with a pin or blanched before dehydrating because they have a natural waxy coating on them. I've never done them so I'm not sure about that. I have frozen them and they are good to eat frozen. Pop them in your mouth and let them melt a little then chew.