MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning New Potatoes

Anyone know what the final decision is on canning red NEW potatoes with the skin on? I know you aren't supposed to can regular potatoes with the skin on due to cleanliness issues. The canning books used to say NEW potatoes were okay to can with the skin on because the skin is so thin and they are so small.

I really want to can some new potatoes like Boston Market makes. I think they are called Dilled New Potatoes. The little new potatoes would be cut into at least fourths, scrubbed extremely well, bleach/water rinsed and pressure canned. They really wouldn't be the same with the skins removed and peeling all of those little bitty potatoes... :o Before I did that I'd use regular peeled big potatoes or none at all.

Any thoughts?

I wish Violet was still around! She was always the final word on questions like this. My boss pressure canned some with skins on but I have always peeled them. Sure would be easier! Hey! Don't they use potato peels to make vodka? That might make it worth the work. LOL I used the peach peels for jelly. Just wonderin'

I have canned many new potatoes , peelingthem turns them brown,and if you want the skins off you scrub them.

Would you tell me why you would want to poison your food with bleach???

Leave the skins on but don't be surprised if they come off during canning. The skin is exceptionally tender and just washing them will peel portions.

We always just washed them good, which removed most of the skins, and left the scraps of skin in place. Most of those come off in the canning process, but they maintain a bit of flavor that peeled potatoes don't have. This is not approved; it's just something we always did.

Would you tell me why you would want to poison your food with bleach???

LOL ....well, :shrug: I'd say it was a "pick your poison" type of statement. Bleach....the chemical...evaporates and also over time, becomes null and void. E coli and other nasties do not.

But I'd always assumed nearly all bio-hazard nasties would be permeated and destroyed in the pressure canning process. That's not necessarily true due to various reasons that we all know.

There is a "food grade hydrogen peroxide" ...but I have never researched it nor used it. A friend of mine uses it for cleaning veggies - not necessarily in relationship to canning. THAT is what I was actually thinking of .....when I suggested bleach. [see? What do I know? My brain can't even spit out the right data for me.] :motz_6:

Personally, I'd gouge out the eyes where nasties might hide...remember all my aunties/gramma doing that EVERY time they cooked taters. Scrub the rest.

MtRider ....but I'm still at novice level of canning. :canning:

I've only used a weak bleach/water solution on veggies that are tightly compacted (asparagus) where I wasn't sure just plain washing was getting all of the hidden gunk out. It is one of the first steps in my cleaning process. I wash them very well after the solution. I didn't soak them. Just a dip up and down and a few swishes with my hands. If I had grown them myself, I wouldn't have. But I have no idea what was used on them to get them to grow. Or where they really came from. Also there is a huge problem with workers using the growing fields for their personal toilet. They gotta go somewhere.

I just fill my sink with water, add a glug of bleach and swish the veggies around then rinse them well in the other side of the sink under running water and continue on. If I was peeling a veggie I wouldn't bother. Now I'm thinking about green beans. Would I? Not sure. If I grew them myself, NO. I figure if bleach is good enough to purify water to drink.... And mine is getting rinsed off.

Just trying to be as safe and clean as I can with what I've got.

I just told a lie. I also used some bleach water when I made spear pickles because I didn't peel the cucumbers.

Sorry I did not mean to come across so sharp.

Yes care must be taken if you buy from the store instead of raising it. That along includes meat, except I do not know how to wash hamburger.

But then I still not wash with bleach. Nor do I like bleach or fluoride in my water. A chicken might get scrubbed with Dawn .....or peroxide

I'm not as worried about meat as it is coming from inside the beast and hopefully not being sprayed or powdered with pesticides. Or peed on. I skin my chicken before I can it. Also there aren't any tightly compacted nooks and crannies on meat like some veggies have.

I do rinse my hamburger after it's fried before I can it. That's mostly to get rid of as much grease and water as I can before I can it. I can with as fat free as I can get. Always get 90% or 95% fat free if I can find it. I'll eat and cook with a higher fat percentage but for canning I want the best that I can get.

Nothing I can do about the hormones already in the flesh except to trust the manufacturer who say they were raised without them. I really don't, but what are you going to do?

No it isn't mushy at all but it does have a sort of dry texture. But then again, all of my canned hamburger is sort of dry. Even when I can it with chili you can tell there is a different texture from uncanned. It isn't bad, just different. I use beef. I've never tried ground turkey though. Hummmm. Anyone ever canned ground turkey?