MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

poverty cooking

WOW! They keep the books if they're on hold? Here, it's first come first serve. They're pretty good about getting them off the shelves once a hold's been placed, but if you get the book off the shelf before the lib'ians do, it's yours. I know cuz I've gotten a couple that were on hold but I picked them up.

Originally Posted By: MommyofSeven
I had also wanted to add, that I make many pantry items myself. I also keep Bisquick on hand, but it's home made. Stores just fine for quite awhile in plastic storage bags. I also make ranch dressing mix, brownie and cake mix, seasonings, etc to have on hand. That six pounds of bisquick I can make for a buck and change. We go through a LOT of ranch dressing mix so that saves us a tremendous amount of money. We use bisquick for biscuits and pancakes, also saving tons of money, considering how much of that we go through.

Mo7

Mo7,

If you have the time, would you post your recipes? I would love to have a Ranch dressing recipe.

Thanks!
CeeGee

When we were at the library yesterday, I requested 'The Civil War Cookbook' too. :)

I don't think it will take to long to get it as it is at one of the other libraries. It sounded like it was there and not checked out. :)

Have you ever heard of Interlibrary Loan (ILL)? I believe ALL libraries participate. They can borrow books for you, from other library systems. Sometimes they make you pay $2-$5 for postage. Sometimes they provide the service as a courtesy. Obviously there are some library systems with this book. Talk to your local librarian and mention ILL. Good luck!

One of our staples when I was a child was potatoes. My Dad sometimes did the cooking for all of us. One of his favorite dishes was what he called "potato cakes".

He grated raw potatoes, placed a layer of potatoes in a cast iron skillet (it took two to feed all of us), shredded left over meat on top of the layer of potatoes, added left over vegetables and placed another layer of shredded potatoes on top and covered.

When the potatoes were golden brown on the bottom, he slid the contents of the turned over skillet unto a plate and slid the un-browned side of the potato cake back into the skillet. When it was browned on the bottom, he sprinkled cheese onto it and sliced like a pie to serve.

We usually had baking powder biscuits to go along with it and home canned applesauce.

My Dad was a logger and I was the oldest of six children, money was scarce. My mother seemed to be able to make simple foods taste good and we always had something to eat, but we always liked it best when Dad cooked. He was an old hillbilly.

Quote:
Brown a little hamburger and put in a sauce pan. Add a quart of tomato juice, pealed and chunked potatoes, chunks of carrot, onion, celery, or again, whatever you have on had. Salt and pepper to taste and serve when veggies are cooked. Mix up a batch of biscuits and serve with butter and jelly or honey.

We make this alot too.. Most of the time though I used canned mixed veggies.. I serve it with cornbread...
  • 2 weeks later...

During chat, someone mentioned using 1 potato to feed a family for a day...

I found this, and thought it was similar, and would be of interest.

http://theoldentimes.com/swiss_soup.html

Swiss Soup

The following recipe was transcribed verbatim from

The Home Comfort Range Cook Book

Circa 1900

Five gallons water, six potatoes and three turnips sliced; boil five hours until perfectly dissolved and the consistency of pea soup, filling up as it boils away; add butter size of an egg, season with salt and pepper, and serve.

A small piece of salt pork, a bone or bit of veal or lamb, and an onion, may be added to vary this soup.

Bean and three-grain loaf at under 8 cents a pound - The prices quoted are from 1996.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080213092900/http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods013.htm

Edited by Cat
fixed link

Thermos bottle cooking for those who asked about it...

http://web.archive.org/web/20080213063813/http://www.kurtsaxon.com/foods005.htm

Edited by Cat
fixed link
  • 4 months later...

In all these posts, I just realized the link to the chat that started the subject isn't here... http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19102

Edited to fix link after the site move.

Edited by Leah

I was so happy... My chicks love Aldi's powdered milk...They beg for it...WELL...This week it went from $9.99 a box to $12.49. Apparently, according to my neighbor, it was recently, under $8 a box...Go figure!

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Nett
Alot of this sounds so good any way. I remember soup beans (pinto) and corn bread and if we were lucky fried taters. ;)

We eat that a lot! I cut up one strip of bacon into small pieces and put in with it to flavor the beans. Slice up an onion to go along with them and the cornbread and you have a hot, filling meal. DH calls this his "comfort" food. :)

Another dish I used to make to stretch food is a one skillet meal. It uses one pound of ground beef, browned. One sliced potato. Some left over veggies like green beans, carrots, corn or whatever you have on hand. Throw them all in the skillet with the ground beef and cook till tender and warm. DH likes to put ketchup on top of his. I serve it with warm, fresh biscuits. Makes a great stick to your ribs meal that doesn't cost much at all.

And I am surprised this is poverty cooking. I grew up eating this way so I'm with DH...It's "Comfort Food"!

Q

• 1 month later...

When The boys want desserts, and there isn't enough of things in the house to make desserts, I use this quick and easy recipe for PeanutButter Cookies:

1 cup Peanut Butter

1 cup Sugar

1 Egg

Mix together, drop by teaspoon on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Place 2 inches apart. Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 dozens.

My hubbby calls them " Rich Man's PB Cookies".

Yes thank you for posting that recipe. I can make up a batch to take with me to my daughters on Christmas and the two who are on glueten free diets can have cookies. Of course gs#3 steals whatever he wants anyway...at 2 1/2 he hasn't figured out that Mom has a good reason for saying no. I bet they will appreciate cookies that they can eat