MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Books and audio books

Maineiac

I have been stocking books from the local bookstores and just putting them away unread. I'll have a stock of new books to read if I get blizzarded in this winter. I also have bought a bunch of audio books so we can all sit and listen to a book while doing other things to pass time. Ebay has a wealth of audio books fairly inexpensive as long as bids don't go crazy. Our dollar stores and surplus goods stores also get shipments of audio books now and then. I've also been taping books from the audio ones I check out of the library. My small battery operated tape player will be put to good use in a storm. The solar recharger will keep us in charged batteries. As long as the sun comes out now and then. Long storms with clouds will be a bummer. Have to break into the alkalines then. I also have the two DVD portable players so we can also watch movies. I am going to get more solar chargers I guess. Just talked myself into it.

Originally Posted By: Maineiac
I have been stocking books from the local bookstores and just putting them away unread. I'll have a stock of new books to read if I get blizzarded in this winter. I also have bought a bunch of audio books so we can all sit and listen to a book while doing other things to pass time. Ebay has a wealth of audio books fairly inexpensive as long as bids don't go crazy. Our dollar stores and surplus goods stores also get shipments of audio books now and then. I've also been taping books from the audio ones I check out of the library. My small battery operated tape player will be put to good use in a storm. The solar recharger will keep us in charged batteries. As long as the sun comes out now and then. Long storms with clouds will be a bummer. Have to break into the alkalines then. I also have the two DVD portable players so we can also watch movies. I am going to get more solar chargers I guess. Just talked myself into it.

Just a FYI, but have you ever heard of Audible.com? I've been a member for years; it's an online "audio book club." MUCH cheaper than getting books on tape or CD; I've enjoyed it a lot; it's one of my favorite ways to distract myself from my troubles; and it's playable on numerous MP3 players, so you can take it anywhere...or play it through your computer for all to hear. I've really enjoyed this service, and if you're an audiobook fan, I thought you might like this option too.

Hugs!!
  • 2 weeks later...

I also am a member of Audible.com and you can download the books to CD. I haven't had any luck doing it but supposedly you can. Besides, with the price of some of the MP3 players like they are (I just picked up a 1GB for my mom for $30 that uses AA batteries)and being able to download more than one book to a player the price outlay might end up being the same as buying books on CD.

Archived