MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

All American 907 Pressure Canner

etp777

Anyone ever seen one of these little things? Dad just pulled it out from somewhere for show and tell when I got out my new 921. My mom doesn't really want him to use it, due to memories of a canner exploding years ago when she was growing up. Normally, I would do my best to convince them otherwise, but kind of thinking I might want it for myself. laugh Not near as useful as my 921, at least, not in capacity, but I figure it might be nice for last odd jar or two left after filling up 921, or for canning small batches (ie, leftovers).

Figured I'd ask here first though if I need to know anything. Also, haven't checked if it's weight or dial, but will convert it to weight of course if need be.

I'm not familiar with the 907. I have the 910 which is the smallest canner All American makes...maybe they used to call it the '907'. Mine holds 4 quarts and 7 pints.

There's no way, with the way the All American's bolt down, that it would ever explode lol.

That size canner is perfect for canning up the last of the leftovers...that's what I use it for. I also use it when I'm creating new recipes and only making small batches to see how they turn out.

But yeah, it would be a piece of cake to convert over to a weighted gauge.

I'm calling your mama and telling her the truth.

darlene

The only thing I found is that it is supposed to be a 7 quart size. That is how many quarts of water it will hold, not how many jars. It may not be considered safe for canning with today's standard. It must be able to hold at least 4 quart sized jars in order to be large enough to can it.

Still, a fun thing to have.

You can contact the All American company and find out what the canner is.

I did that with my old #7 15 1/2 quart one. I happened to have the book that came with it and they told me the year it was manufactured because of the numbers written on it. Mine was in the forties and they told me with a new guage it was perfectly safe to use. I got it at an auction for a dollar and have used it several years now. Works perfectly. I like it much better for holding the pressure than I do my other three canners. Those canners were made to LAST. I don't think I got the guage from the company though. I believe I might have gotten it from Goodmans ( www.goodmans.net )when I bought new rubber gaskets, guages, and seals for my other canners.

I wish I DID have a smaller canner. It would be handier for those leftovers and such. Might have to keep my eye out for one. Does anyone know if other companies make a small canner?

bighug

Just be sure if you are relying on a dial gauge you get even a new one tested before you use. They can be inaccurate, up to 4 lb. off, meaning it is not safe to rely on. Some of those old AA's have a petcock and dial, not a weight and a dial gauge. You rely on the dial on those unless you convert them over. As Darlene said, it is easy to do. Costs about $25 to convert.

I think about the smallest size for canning now is the 10.5 quart size. It holds 4 quarts. So, that would be the smallest size that is safe to use. The All American I saw that size was $189 !

According to my instruction book pressure cooker No.907 is no longer Available. Model No.915 pressure canner was formerly called model No.7. Hope this helps a little.

Archived