MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

Jeepers, you gave me an idea. How about marinating the steak in smoked flavor, mesquite or hickory?

When I was talking with DH about canning beef, he suggested to make it like potted meat. I'm going to have to look that recipe up. :D

That's the marinade I used. It was McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite Marinade. That's probably what gave it it's subtle flavor. I used the Food Saver Marinade bowl thing. I'd think with marinating it then grilling it it would have come out with more flavor. It was still good but I figured it would be more 'robust' for lack of a better word.

I have a couple of different marinades (same brand) that I'm going to try this fall with chicken breasts. One is herb something and one is lemon. I'm not going to bother grilling it first because it was a waste of time.

BTW, I didn't cook the steaks on the grill. I just seared them. There was hardly any fat in the jar when I opened it. It had congealed at the top in 2 little rings. They were about the size of an onion slice cut in two. Not the whole slice but one small size ring halved. I just lifted it out with a fork. I really liked that because I don't need more fat in my diet.

Just heard a "ping" from my sweet and spicey pickle spears :-) Put up 6 quarts of spears and 1 quart of chunks from the cucumbers that I picked last week and this morning. I put the chunks in the frig...for quick use :-) Some of you may think I'm nuts...but I use my big roaster to put them up. I fill it up with hot water and then use my big meat thermometer to regulate the temp. I sit my jars in the roaster with the water up as high as I dare let it go, and then wait for it to get to 180 and then regulate it at 180 for 30 minutes. I've got a basket of Okra waiting for me to jar up now. I'll fry some of it up for supper tonight though :-) We like Okra, sweet Corn and diced tomatoes jarred up and then we just dump it over pasta. Got a small basket of tomatoes that I'll use for that.

Nice Annarchy!

We2, does the water in the roaster boil over top of the jars? If so, it might be a good idea to set the temp. at 212 degrees the temperature of boiling water. A few years ago I bought a small granite water bath canner. It's perfect for small batches or small jars. I really like that canner for pickle and salsas etc. Plus it doesn't weigh a ton.

No Jeeps...the water doesn't come over the top but the steam is hot enough to make them seal. Just the way I do it :-) It's called "low temperature pasturization process" and you MUST keep it between 180 and 185 for 30 minutes, so you have to really watch it closely. Pressure canned the okra-mix and got six pints...lost one, the dumb jar broke :-( I've only had that happen twice...figure? Couldn't stay out of the garlic sweet pickles though...ate 3 large spears with my lunch yesterday and then one spear with my supper :cele:

post-9087-0-46229000-1470413337_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-63523900-1470413359_thumb.jpg

I'm enjoying our pickles too! My lunches have been a half of a ham & cheese sandwich, two pickle spears, some sliced tomatoes and a cookie for dessert. I send MrWE2 off with a bigger lunch though :-) I know you'll think I'm gone somewhere...but have any of you ever enjoyed a peanut butter, sliced cheese and sweet pickle sandwich? Yum...from my point of view though :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Canned 3 pints of Okra, the "oldalabamagardener" way. They all sealed but will keep an eye on them since this is the first time I've used the "hot pack only" method. Watched some other vid's that do it the same way. Still have about 3 gallon sized bags in the deep freeze and more to pick. Probably will have some yellow neck's too, and I'm pretty sure there's a few green bell peppers too. The speghetti squash should enjoy this rain, and hopefully the eggplant will start putting on some fruit. Trying to wind the garden down but these veggies were late coming.

Made another haul from the garden. A speghetti squash was ready, some bell peppers, some more tomatoes (some I'll ripen here in the house), a couple of yellow sweet peppers (really didn't get many this year) and yes...lots more Okra :-) Guess I'll be doing some more foot preservation of some sort for the Okra. Wanna see?

post-9087-0-00297100-1473560211_thumb.jpg

Last weekend we visited a natural grocery store (we've never been there) in a city not too far away. Found a starter mix for Kumbuche (sp?) and it's in the frig. Won't have to buy commercially bottled to get the skoby nor buy a skoby from somebody else :-) Now I'll need to keep an eye out for a nice, large glass jug with a spigot. Is that a good enough reason to go rummage sale hunting? LOL