MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do with over-gelled jam

I was making the apple-maple jam recipe from the Ball Blue Book. I was momentarily distracted and it went from runny to a solid mass in no time flat. I canned it anyway, and put what didn't fill the last jar in the fridge overnight. I pulled it out of the fridge tonight and it's a solid lump - not even remotely spreadable. My hubby said it would be good on waffles, but it's far too sweet and thick to eat on its own. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

never had this happen to us but maybe you could just add hot water to the mess a little at a time until it comes back to being jelly like?

Might try it with 1 or 2 jars first to see what it tastes like?

If it works OK then just leave the rest canned and as you open them do the same thing?

or

slice them like cranberry sauce but very thin and put on toast? - LOL

:AmishMichael2:

Got the same with 10 jars of grape jelly. It's bouncy enough to be used as a spare tyre in case of a flat. :grinning-smiley-044:

I'm just planning by the time we want to start eating it, take it all out, dilute it and heat it and have thinner jam again. Kept in fridge, use thick layers for between cake (think Sacher) should be ok.

Nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds and pour it over ice cream?

Okay, that wasn't well thought out but I was thinking about ice cream at the moment. And hot apple-maple poured over vanilla ice cream...Oh yeah.

Oh GREAT!

Now I have to stop multi - tasking and go and make myselk a dish of Ice Cream!

BUT NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FIRST:

I have to finish the last shelve box for Lori ne book Cases,

And finish eatting the home-made soup I just made : Broth, onions, and pieces of steak ( from other half of Beef Broth I had to put in tonights Supper in the crockpot), which I just got done making-

Fixing (glue and rubberbands) a book that we got over the weekend at a sale-

Looking online for dollhouse floor plan-

Petting the cat that keeps rubbing my leg as I type-

While getting a letter ready to go out int he mailbox-

As I hear the sound of the dehydrater getting finished drying the bread for Thanksgiving Stuffing -

Then I need to bag up and then get more Herbs drying in it-

And THAT is just this hour!!!!

byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:AmishMichael2:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Ice cream sounds delicious right now but I'm far too lazy to go to the store, LOL! Don't think I've ever run across a jam bar recipe - I'll have to look into that. It's definitely bouncy, just like Christy's grape jelly. :grinning-smiley-044:

Think I'll try thinning it out and see how that works. I was also thinking maybe I could stir it into some hot applesauce for hubby's waffle topping. Guess I'll experiment a little and see what happens!

If none of the above works, cut it into round slices about an inch thick and let the boys use it as hockey pucks ??? ( Don't smack me now.... ) :eclipsee_Victoria: Score!!!!!!

Thats what is resembles most. You could be on to something. Green, bio-degradable hockey pucks :eclipsee_Victoria:

Good Morning Cereal Bars

1 1/2 cups all-purposeflour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal

3/4 cup butter

2 cups apricot jam

1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
  2. Mix together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and quick cooking oatmeal in a medium bowl. Cut in 3/4 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Pat two-thirds into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Spread apricot jam evenly on top. Sprinkle the top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 45 minutes, or until crispy brown on top. Cool before cutting into bars.

Makes 12 bars.

These are good. I make them, cut into bars, then wrap each one and freeze them.

Good Morning Cereal Bars

1 1/2 cups all-purposeflour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal

3/4 cup butter

2 cups apricot jam

1. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
  2. Mix together flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and quick cooking oatmeal in a medium bowl. Cut in 3/4 cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
  3. Pat two-thirds into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Spread apricot jam evenly on top. Sprinkle the top with the remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 45 minutes, or until crispy brown on top. Cool before cutting into bars.

Makes 12 bars.

These are good. I make them, cut into bars, then wrap each one and freeze them.

Ooh yum, that sounds good! I'd have to melt it into something spreadable first, though! :grinning-smiley-044: This morning I took the jar from the fridge and melted it into some cider. Made AWESOME pancake syrup. So now hubby wants me to overcook another batch so we have plenty for the year ahead, LOL!

• 2 months later...

I'm kind of late to this party, but I have a suggestion for the over-gelled jam!

I made plum jam last year and had one batch that was way too thick and over-gelled. I spread it out on the fruit roll-up sheets in my excalibur dehydrator. I don't remember how long I dried them, but it was to a pliable stage. I peeled the "candy" off the roll-up sheets and rolled them up tightly, kind of like a jelly roll. I cut the rolls in one-inch pieces (about the size of a tootsie roll) and wrapped them in parchment paper.

I did a second batch even drier and they were more like hard candies instead of chewy.

Hope someone can use these ideas. They were both delicious!

Jill in Texas

• 4 months later...

Oh that sounds yummy!

I'm kind of late to this party, but I have a suggestion for the over-gelled jam!

I made plum jam last year and had one batch that was way too thick and over-gelled. I spread it out on the fruit roll-up sheets in my excalibur dehydrator. I don't remember how long I dried them, but it was to a pliable stage. I peeled the "candy" off the roll-up sheets and rolled them up tightly, kind of like a jelly roll. I cut the rolls in one-inch pieces (about the size of a tootsie roll) and wrapped them in parchment paper.

I did a second batch even drier and they were more like hard candies instead of chewy.

Hope someone can use these ideas. They were both delicious!

Jill in Texas