MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cutting back on eggs?

It has been interesting to read all the different prices across the U.S. I bought 4 flats this past week and it cost $17 for 'checks'. I was eating way too many eggs so we are cutting back. These are very small so they gave me a free flat. I'm hoping to cut down even more next month. I need some new low carb/Paleo breakfast ideas to cut back on the eggs even more.

Thanks, everyone!

Probably will raise a ruckus amongst the purest who are blessed to have chickens and ducks, but $Tree stores have started carrying medium sized eggs by the half dozen for $1.00. Don't ask me who just about cleaned out their cooler :-) Planning to pickle me some eggs. I've never done it but I've gotten a good recipe from here and I'm going to give it a shot. We both love deviled eggs, egg salad sandwiches etc., so it's a win-win for us.

Probably will raise a ruckus amongst the purest who are blessed to have chickens and ducks, but $Tree stores have started carrying medium sized eggs by the half dozen for $1.00. Don't ask me who just about cleaned out their cooler :-) Planning to pickle me some eggs. I've never done it but I've gotten a good recipe from here and I'm going to give it a shot. We both love deviled eggs, egg salad sandwiches etc., so it's a win-win for us.

I raise 3 different types of birds, but don't understand why it would cause a ruckus??

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the grocery store with my 17 year old daughter. We were in the egg aisle, I see her looking from price to price with this shocked look on her face. She turns to me and says "Was there a chicken apocalypse or something?????" I couldn't help but laugh. I explained to her what was going on. It's crazy!!

I do know of an older gentleman that lives nearby who often sells his extra egs. May be stopping by there soon.

As I study raising chickens on two other sites....... it is cheapest to order day old chicks btw . And I have notes on good egg and meat producers. I even found one breed that is sweet and good mommas and setters too that is huge! At maturity, Dark Brahmas , male are 12 lbs, females are 9.5 lbs. Talk about a roaster! Wow! They do well laying in the cold weather. ( yes, moult will shut down egg production. But it resumes afterward.)

These chickens are pretty too, , Asiatic and were bred once coming off old wooden ships in New England. Their disposition is very sweet. They cost a little more but if you make your own feed, I think its worth it for holiday dinners or big family suppers when you need a lot of chicken to roast up.

I also have been looking at other more usual breeds of course. They lay large brown eggs. Probably 1 or more every other day, not the best layers but wow, the meat on 'em! Plus if you need them to set on eggs or raise the chicks, they do well at it and many bred for egg production only just don't act interested in that any more with the breeding.

Edited by sassenach

It looks like I've made progress in cutting back on my egg usage.( I was out of commission for a week due to a kidney stone so that stretched them, too! :24:)

We've talked about adding a few chickens but hubby is disabled and can't pick up the bags of feed and my back is having problems, too. I keep looking for ways to cut back on the work around here and unfortunately most of the work are things that save money. Very interesting to get old! :D

I finally broke down and bought a doz eggs yesterday. I think they were $3.95 at Walmart. We're going camping and DH needs his bacon and eggs. :D

I think we'll start using the powdered eggs from the freezer. It's time to rotate them into our cooking anyway. If we didn't travel so much, I'd consider raising laying hens again. Alas, a dozen eggs now and then is a heck of a lot cheaper than raising them again. :24:

We've found $Tree sells their medium sized eggs in the six pack for $1 :-) We buy them by the boat load "when" we can find them and keep them good and cold. We eat 4 eggs each morning so we go through them pretty quickly. No they're not free range etc., but their cheaper than any other eggs we can find.

Linda's Pantry (youtube) had a video on how she preserves eggs :-) So timely for us! Gonna give it a try. She only needs two eggs at a time for baking, but we'd need four. She blends them in her blender, pours them into a baggie & removes as much air as she can while it's laying flat. Then she put that into a freezer bag and lays it flat in her freezer. When she wants eggs, she sets a bag out 10 or 15 minutes to thaw a bit.

You can lightly scramble your eggs and pour into an ice cube tray. One ice cube is about a large egg. After they are frozen, you can pop them out and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Let thaw when needed and use. Obviously, won't work for fried eggs but for scrambled or baking.

I make scrambled eggs when I don't want to use as many eggs. Of course, my scrambled eggs are usually not just eggs. Best thing we do is to scramble with a little bit of milk, some bell peppers, onions and maybe some tomatoes and then put into a flour tortilla. I can stretch a few eggs to feed more than a few people.

You can lightly scramble your eggs and pour into an ice cube tray. One ice cube is about a large egg. After they are frozen, you can pop them out and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Let thaw when needed and use. Obviously, won't work for fried eggs but for scrambled or baking.

I make scrambled eggs when I don't want to use as many eggs. Of course, my scrambled eggs are usually not just eggs. Best thing we do is to scramble with a little bit of milk, some bell peppers, onions and maybe some tomatoes and then put into a flour tortilla. I can stretch a few eggs to feed more than a few people.

:thumbs:

Edited by The WE2's

When freezing the eggs [mixed as Scrubbie and someone else described], I've always heard to put in a bit of salt....for savory and a little sugar for egg mix that you intend for sweet recipes.

:unsure:

But I don't know why. I think it had something to do with the mix separating. :shrug: Anyone else heard of this. In my old Joy of Cooking book, I think.

MtRider :cook:

I use milk in scrambled eggs too. Lot's of people freeze an egg in an ice cube tray and then freeze the cubes. You do need to break the yolk and stir it around a little before freezing. I don't remember why.

Lots of people make herb cubes too. Use which ever herb you like to cook with, add water, put in ice cube tray, freeze, pop out of trays and store in freezer bag. When you use them, you don't have to thaw them. Just throw in the cooking pot. Mostly for soups and stews. I haven't tried it though since I don't cook as much for just me any more.