MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

They have no idea what it is?

This sure made memories come back. 25 years ago, we went to a lumber yard and my 6 yr. old son and said for me, rather loudly, to come look at some thing he had never seen, know what it was or didn't know how to turn it on. There was a machine that had bottled cokes going up and down the side with a door on it. It would not do anything. The men there got a good laugh but he at least got a free coke. Then they took him over to the 'puzzle' coke box (where you had to pull it thru the maze.)--another free coke. When he goes back in a few weeks he wants to go show his little one.

At high school where I was a secretary, we had an old fashioned black phone and an avocado phone later which was described as pukey. More than once, the kids didn't know what it was or how to use it and why there were no buttons on under the numbers. When they got hold of a parent , they told them all about it. I heard alot of cool and neato.

How about kids being amazed about not having remotes for tvs.

PS--I knew the strawberry was for sharpening needles, but I didn't know what was in it. :laughkick:

I remember the coke machines with the soda bottles on the sides, but not the maze one, I too remember the black dial phones from my chilhood. It was special when the black one was replaced with a yellow one in the kitchen, and I almost still remember my mom getting THAT replaced with a touchtone phone!

We always had rotary-dial phones at home, that I remember. Somewhere in the basement I still have an old black rotary.

I remember when my mom just*had* to have this "latest style" phone. Some later had buttons, but hers had a rotary dial on the bottom. Cream-colored, like this one. White-Bakelite-Phone-1960.jpg

:shakinghead:

Heck, I grew up without air conditioning....the TV had only ONE station, and that one went off at 2:00 AM after playing the Star Spangled Banner and displaying scenes of the Blue Angels. It was black and white, of course. And when it broke down, we went SIX MONTHS without a TV while my folks saved for a new one. I am soooo lucky. My parents taught us many self reliant things instead of buying us things to shut us up. Yes, to this day I have several MANUAL typewriters. So many teens don't even know what one is, let alone that they were manual...and I found directions for making a hectographic duplicator (remember those purple-printed handouts from school?). Yup, no such thing as xerox, either! I could go on and on, but I get to laughing too hard....

I got a pasta dodad with my kitchenaid mixer but have never used it,I just mix my noodles by hand and roll them out with my rolling pin.I do use a bread maker but only to make the dough,my hands can't do the kneading anymore. I went to a magnetic pin holder a long time ago but remember the tomato from high school home ec.many many years ago.

I have the same pin holder that I have had for years. When I run out of needles, I pull it apart get the needles out and reglue it - usually with a new fabric around the top. It is a top from a spray can (when the top was whole and came off before you use the can) I filled a circle of material with wadding and stuffed it in the top of the lid with some glue, a little lace round the sides and it looks beautiful.

How about the old ice trays, where the divider had the lever you pull up to separate the icecubes? Anyone still have those?

They certainly lasted and were more stable than the plastic ones!

Have them and Lori Still uses them!

The cat will come a running when she hears that 'crack' because she knows there are always little chips that mom will give her to eat.

Yes that is also the cat that we have to go outside in the winter and get her bowl full of snow so she can eat it. And if it starts to snow in the middle of the night , she will come to bed, wakes me up and then race downstairs to sit by the 'snow bowl'.

:AmishMichael2:

There's still some in my grandmother's things I think. Amazon, and some other stores still sell them, although I doubt their made as well as they used to be. Vermont Trading Co sells them as well. They're one of my favorite window shopping websites. Tney have a lot of the old tyme stuff. http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/productDetail/Kitchen/Aluminum_Ice_Trays_-Set_of_2_Trays-/H2041?searchid=7SMCGGFD&feedid=googleproductsearch&jt=1&js=100&jsid=21345&jcp=Google%20Product%20Search&utm_source=Google%2BProduct%2BSearch&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google%2BProduct%2BSearch&gdftrk=gdfV21961_a_7c336_a_7c4822_a_7cH2041_d_39701

• 4 months later...

Oh yes, hand tools! My father once told me he preferred to work with hand tools instead of all the noisy electrical ones (he was a carpenter) and I now know why - it is so much more soothing and pleasurable to make things without the racket! and have my own hand tool collection. All the hardward guys look odd when I ask if they still carry breast drills (always good for a chuckle) but I am still looking for a new one.