MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

raisins and gin

A long time ago it seems like I heard of an arthritis remedy that involved soaking raisins in gin and then eating the raisins. anyone ever heard of that. I have arthritis so bad in my finger joints I can hardly stand it sometimes. katmom

I have heard of it but the raisins have to be white. I don't remember how long they had to be in the gin or vodka. The guy that told this insisted that only white raisins would work.

:wormie2:

John

I made it once. My BIL had given us the directions. I don't even "remember" if we thought it worked or not. Maybe it did!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, we did try it but didn't continue. I don't suppose it worked well. What does help my hands is a wax pot, where you dip your hands in warm wax and slip on a mitten to hold the heat. It is soothing, and softens your hands too.

A long time ago it seems like I heard of an arthritis remedy that involved soaking raisins in gin and then eating the raisins. anyone ever heard of that. I have arthritis so bad in my finger joints I can hardly stand it sometimes. katmom

I've heard that but never tried it. Mother did, not sure if she still keeps a jar "soaking" in her frig or not...?

Since I've been taking 1/8 tsp of borax daily, my arthritis has gone away. I was looking at needing knee replacements. Now I don't need them. I'm 61 BTW.

very interesting. In what form did you take the borax? atmom

Loveinit, about 3 to 4 weeks and I was no longer in pain. I've been taking it for 3 yrs now. After about 6 months I dropped to once or twice a week unless I start having pain in my hands and then 2 or 3 doses will take care of it.

Violet, borax is the mineral boron. You probably have it in your vitamins, but in lower amounts than is needed to relieve arthritis.

I've had no side effects whatsoever in the 3 yrs. When I took Rx meds they only helped a little with the pain and the side effects were terrible.

............ I think I need to look into this as I too have aches and pains and hate taking "pills" for it so I just remind myself that I am 62 (bet you) and very busy so that is how it is.

Yes, some mornings it is hard to get going so I may start doing this - so how do I tell my mind it is NOT soap?
could I put it into caplets to take?

Here is a site with very good breakdown on why and how it works as well as how much to take:

http://www.health-science-spirit.com/borax.htm

My one main concern is that I have Diabetes 2 and it is basically a salt?
So I am wondering how that plays out?

I do maintain it without pills or shots - just good living and the right foods and snacks.

(don't ask for the list - it is too long) LOL

You can put it in caps, but it has no taste. You can also just stir it into a glass of water and drink it.

All salts are not the same. You want to be careful of NaCl if you are watching "salt" intake. It is sodium salts that can cause water retention. There are many other salts that aren't sodium, such as KCl, potassium chloride, or potassium salt.

Well, I'm going to be the guinea pig. I took a first dose today. Ever since I fell a couple years back and broke my leg, it feels like it kind of kicked my pain issues into high gear. I'm having to take way too many pain pills to get through the day....have to move the stiff fingers....legs...before I get out of bed. We'll see.

Hmmm - this is a new one I'll have to try too. I remember the 'drunken raisins' cure - tried it - it helped some, but not enough at the time to continue. Unfortunately, arthritis has so many causes, that there are many folk remedies that help some but not others. I had good results with apple cider vinegar & honey, but then I had an ulcer kick up and had to quit with the vinegar as it aggravated the ulcer. I never did try the pectin and grape juice cure also mentioned in my folk remedy research, because the liquid pectin that it used was not commonly found in my area stores, and the cure specified it had to be liquid pectin (certa is one brand) mixed with the grape juice and drunk down. Borax, I can find at my local Wal mart, and I can always use it for other things if it does not work...worth a try!

Edited by kappydell

Oops! That does look scary doesn't it? I had to set my tablet to full version site because what I saw on the mobile version was a page that had a listing of all the ways people use boron...general feedback, multiple cures, skin, fluoride poisoning , arthritis, etc. You click one of those tabs and it shows testimonials and other information like dosages and other links. When I set it to full version site there is a table f contents on the right side of the page.

I also saw this as well..... Boiron Homeopathics also makes homeopathic Borax pellets which our readers are starting to use in lieu of Borax.

Someone might feel uncomfortable using the borax and could use the pellets. My local food coop might carry them. I'll go this week and see.

wow ... gonna pass this info on to family!!! Interesting!

Any results so far? I've had a flare up of something that is really kicking me in the pants. My joints A C H E and every muscle in my body is hurting. I've been eating strictly anti-inflammatory foods for a few days now and it seems to be helping but I'm still reaching for the Alleve am and pm.

OOOPS!

forgot I was doing this?

Been doing it every since I said I was going to start and the pain is gone so I forgot about it! LOL

still doing it 1 time each day with breakfest (was 2 times for first part) and it's not that bad after first few times - just put into small water glass (water first) and down it goes. Then I drink something else or have a piece of fruit.

Hands feel much better and I forgot all about the knee pain I was having before starting?

Is it working or am I just getting better anyway?

Don't know for sure but I am not stooping seeing this is a cheap, safe and simple way of dealing with pain.

Plus with all this soap in my mouth I can swear up a storm! LOL