MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

a peck of pears?

Trudy

I'm making the pear relish from "So Easy To Preserve", and it calls for a peck of pears. U of Georgia says that a bushel of pears weigh 50 lbs. So a peck should weigh 12 1/2 lbs. I weighed out 1 lb.of pears and peeled, cored, chopped, and measured them. About 1 1/2 cups. So I added about 19 cups of chopped pears to the recipe . The directions say to put in the fridge overnight, so I'm waiting till tomorrow to can. I thought all was well until I sat down to look for more recipes and I saw Giada's Pear Honey recipe. She said that "6 lbs of chopped pears=16 cups." That's a big difference from my figuring of 6 lbs.=9 cups! Did I do something wrong?( I'm using hard sand pears. Maybe they weigh heavier than what she was using?) My mixture looks good. There's not a lot of extra liquid in it. P.S. I did leave out the "bunch of selery" called for. That is not a safety issue, is it?) Has anyone ever made this relish?

VIOLET... OH, VIOLET!!!

I'm not familiar with the recipe, so we'll see if we can pull Violet out and ask her...

(I just got home and Hubby wants food...)

This is the recipe from Univ. Of Georgia, which is the same as So Easy To Preserve . It says 2 gallon pears. The final result is 10 pints.

It depends upon the size you cut them to start with, but that should have been the weight of the pears before you diced them. You weighed after you diced. If you had extra diced pears you could have frozen them, made jam from them, or pear butter, or pear bread, etc. That is where you got confused. It should have been that weight of the fresh, raw, whole pears.

Pear Relish

2 gallons pears

6 large onions

6 sweet green peppers

6 sweet red peppers

1 bunch celery

3 cups sugar

1 tablespoon allspice

1 tablespoon salt

5 cups vinegar (5%)

Yield: About 10 pint jars

Procedure: Wash the pears, onions, peppers and celery in cold water. Peel and core the pears. Remove stems and seeds from the peppers. Clean the celery; peel the onions. Put pears and vegetables through a food chopper. Stir the sugar, allspice, salt and vinegar into the chopped mixture and let stand, covered, overnight in the refrigerator.

Heat the relish mixture to boiling; simmer 5 minutes. Pack hot relish into hot pint jars, leaving ½ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; adjust two-piece metal canning lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Pear Relish in a boiling-water canner.

Process Time at Altitudes of

Style of Pack Jar Size 0 - 1,000 ft 1,001 - 3,000 ft 3,001 - 6,000 ft Above 6,000 ft

Hot Pints 20 min 25 30 35

Violet, I'm not sure where we crossed up, but I did weigh my pears (whole fresh pears) before I peeled and chopped them. 12 1/2 pounds of whole pears made 19 cups of chopped pears. I canned the relish yesterday, and it made 11 pints, so I guess my measurements must have been close? Was it ok that I omited the celery? Sorry about the mix-up. Oh BTW a friend gave me 3 5-gallon buckets of bartletts yesterday. I'm canning PLAIN pears from them, soo..guess what?? NO MORE QUESTIONS FOR NOW! LOL THANKS A MILLION! :bouquet:

It was fine to omit the celery. Glad it came out close to the right amount. Should be fine. I somehow thought you chopped and then weighed them. Guess I misread it.

Happy pear canning !

I have been thinking Korean beef. YOu use pears for the marinade....

Now Violet...here I just promised no more questions today, and you had to entice me! Korean beef? I did a search for a recipe and found your post made below Darlene's Mongolian Beef Marinade recipe- but no recipe. Will you tell me about it? (It's almost 3:25 am so I really made that promise for yesterday anyhow. :D )

Korean Beef

2 lb. carne asada steak ( You can also use thinly

sliced beef sirloin or flank, but I prefer the carne asada.) I cut the steak

into pieces about 2 X 3 inches in size.

Marinade:

1 med. ripe pear, peeled, cored, and diced

6 med. cloves garlic

4 tsp. minced fresh ginger

1/2 cup soy sauce

2 T. toasted sesame oil

6 T. sugar

1 T. rice vinegar

3 green onions, sliced thin

Process pear, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, oil, sugar, and vinegar in a food

processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add the green onions.

Spread 1/3 of the marinade in the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Place half the meat

on top of the marinade. Pour half of the remaining marinade over this, then

layer the rest of the meat, topped with the final amount of marinade. Cover

and refrigerate at least 4 hours. I marinate for approx. 24 hours.

Remove meat with tongs from marinade. Simmer the marinade in a pan for

approx. 10 to 15 min.

Heat the grill to high, heat until very hot, approx. 15 min. Grill meat for

a few minutes on each side, until done.

Serve in leaf lettuce leaves with steamed rice and the heated sauce.

If you want it more spicy, add some other hot chili sauce on top.

Enjoy !

Thanks Violet, That sounds like something I'd really enjoy! Now i"m off to google "carne asada steak" 'cause I'm such a country bumpkin! :blush:

Archived