MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What are you canning today? Part 8

22 pints of corn (plain not creamed, although DH asked me if we should do it again <_< ) and 7 1/2 pints of blueberry rhubarb jam.

I found out that the new stove is not a great pressure canning stove. It was the first time I used it to pressure can and used the power burner. It kept climbing even on low at one point, I had it on the simmer to get it where it needed to be.

12 quarts and 4 pint cherry pie filling, 13 quarts and 6 pints of pickles, 12 1/2 pints of cherry jelly, 4 quarts and 30 pints of bing cherries in a light syrup, hopeing to get some fresh caught salmon from my friend to can this week.

OK, I'm on a roll here.. or maybe it's the heat, I dunno. First the blueberry pie filling and now, I just finished 9 pints of red raspberry pie filling. Verry yum. I got to lick the spoon! I used the recipe in the Big Ball Book. It's midnight and I'm taking my sore feet to bed. Nite Nite....pigz :D

OK...20 quarts Darlene's marinara sauce last night, and 20 more this morning...Another 19 in the canners now. Three more in the fridge, if I decide to run the canners again. Ya think I am tired? I was on the phone, with my sister, and told her I had the canners going and it was storming and I hoped the power didn't go out. The canners are on KEROSENE COOKERS! DUH! Go ahead power...I dare you!

WOW Mom11!!! That's impressive!

I did some of Annie's Salsa today. 7pints.

Annie's Salsa is so yummy! We still need to do that. Our total today is 43 quarts of marinara and just when I thought I had had enough work, I decided to chop cabbage. I have 36 lbs. in three buckets, with salt....Gonna can spiced red cabbage, but one thing is for sure...Won't be very spicy. The recipe calls for 2 cups of spices, for each 5 quart recipe. I am going to can with apple cider vinegar, instead of red wine vinegar...Cheaper. I am going to add extra brown sugar, and some cinn. sticks. That's it!

Applesauce and more applesauce. We had to strip DF's trees, since they apparently have Black Rot. It is about a month early, but we do not want to lose the whole crop. More sugar is required with green apples, but at least we will have plenty of sauce.

Of course, this is the year he had a bumper crop.

Applesauce and more applesauce. We had to strip DF's trees, since they apparently have Black Rot. It is about a month early, but we do not want to lose the whole crop. More sugar is required with green apples, but at least we will have plenty of sauce.

Virginia,

Sorry about the black rot. Have you thought about apple pie jam and also apple pie filling ? It is good with green apples.

Virginia,

Sorry about the black rot. Have you thought about apple pie jam and also apple pie filling ? It is good with green apples.

Violet, we don't eat much jam, I'll have to look up that apple pie filling. Thanks

First I have to say Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! to Darlene and Violet and everyone else on this forum that has taken the time to share their knowledge with us newbies to the canning/home preserving world!!!! I wouldn't have been able to do it without all of you!

I have been wanting a pressure canner for years, and my hubby finally got me one for my birthday last friday, and I've been busy all weekend!!!! I'm totally addicted!!!! Can't wait until next weekend when I can do some more!

So far I have:

7 Quarts of Chicken soup

7 Quarts of Split pea and Ham soup (we ate a bunch before it made it to the canner)lol

12 pints Green Beans

7 pints Annie's salsa

7 pints Dill pickles

I am tired now!!! LOL But if I had any more jars I would probably still be going!

Thanks again ya'll!

Krista (aka)CountryGirl