MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Shepherd's Purse

Annarchy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsella_bursa-pastoris

Safety Data: Large doses are poisonous.

An annual or biennial herb. Small white flowers. The fruit is triangular-obcordate silicula, looking like an old-fashioned leather purse.

Its constituents include the amines choline and acetylcholine, an alkaloid (bursine), a flavonoid glycoside (diosmine), organic acids and tannins. Those substances include astringent, haemostatic, vasoconstricting and diuretic properties, used to check gastric, uterine and pulmonary bleeding, treating gastritis and enteritis, and urinary and kidney disorders. It affects the smooth muscles in the uterus and it is thought to assist contraction of the womb during childbirth.

Any internal use should be in moderation and preferably supervised by a qualified medical or herbal practitioner. Externally used in compresses to bathe wounds, eczema and other skin disorders.

389px-Capsella_bursa-pastoris_Sturm23.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here I have been pulling it out of my yard for years, occasionally nibbling on the seeds because they taste peppery.

During a course this spring I took in Germany on herbal medicine, we used shepherd's purse.

A mixture with Achillea millefolium in apple vinegar made for a BP evener, is supposed to reduce bleeding after giving birth and during menstruation.

Good plant, tends to like to grow on polluted ground. Watch where you pick.

Archived