MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

OK

My wonderful Son who is a senior in High School.
Yesterday he came to me and told he was tired of me wasting the grocery money and HE was going to take the grocery money this week and HE was going to get REAL groceries. :puzzledsmile:

OK.

Challenge accepted.
Good luck my son . :happy0203:

Oh I would so do that.. ummm actually out of necessity.. my dd at 14.5 yrs did that. (I was in the hospital 2hrs away on bed rest with my last pregnancy). She did good. Maybe I should at least be taking my son (he wants to drive anyway) and having him deciding what to get (even if off the list of what we need).

Yes I think he can cook the meals too.

Grocery money is not going as far as it used to so I'll be very interested in what he thinks are REAL groceries are and how he is going to pay for everything he wants to get.

I keep telling them that we can not afford meat as the main course at every meal anymore.

This will give him a taste of being on his own,

Sounds like a good experience and I do not think he will do anything truly foolish if he made this kind of gesture. My son has enjoyed knowing a few things to cook and how to read and prepare stuff since he was a teen, and often cooked up decent dinners. He has expanded on that now with his wife and they both cook and clean and such in their household. He doesn't just depend on her to do it all, and really, she often has had much longer work hours consistently than he has had, so thats fair. My dad cooked too and we all grew up learning how to fix stuff. It is simply a life skill and it's fun to start learning new stuff and adding it to enrich menu's and such when we are on our own. I wish my parents had actually taught me to do more with budgeting before I was on my own and food shopping for a family is important , as part of the whole. I am glad he is showing initiative about it. I even taught DS, to do laundry, when he was 12. He just wouldn't fold it! ( The marines cured him of that though, lol.)

My son is now back to health, He is on fall break so he went out the help farmer friend Friday . 1st thing they did was pick up the grass feed beef from the processing place and then he had to help get the cows/ farm ready for winter. It was very windy cold and we had rain/snow Friday He came home frozen.

Instead of farmer friend paying him he asked if they would give him some of the beef. Framer friend's wife was very generous and gave him about 10 lb of beef.

Shopping went well, he got ingredients to make cookies, chicken Alfredo, pizza and some other things. Plus we have to save enough money to get brussel sprouts at the farmers market.
He did well and didn't get a lot of convenience/junk food.

I still thinks he need a few more shopping trips to get a feel of what real things cost and the price of stocking up for later.

Edited by gofish