MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

TGIF

Thank Goodness It's Friday. I'm ready for it too. It seemed like a long week for me. Lots of canning and back problems. This weekend I'm taking time off and doing nothing but snuggling down with the heating pad and a cup of something warm and the Kindle. Maybe even peek at the TV or some old movies on Youtube. I have some 'Renovation Realities' TV shows DVR'ed that needs watching. My guilty pleasure. :rolleyes:

I got up early, for me, and got all of my errands out of the way. Brrrrr. Sometime in the night it turned cold. I didn't know it was so cold here and left the house with just a sweat shirt jacket thingy on. It's windy too making it feel worse. I thought I was mentally ready for winter. I'm not.

I stopped in at Dick's Sporting Goods and finally bought a Luggable Loo. I sure hope I never ever have to lug that loo any where. My plan is to fill a 5 gal. bucket with trash bags and some TP and put the lid on and store it away never to be seen again. That's the plan.

But, while driving past McDonald's I noticed they have their winter soup back. I love their broccoli soup. Love it! I ate 2 bowls. I'd buy a vat of that stuff if I could can it.

Hope everyone has a great day and a fantastic weekend no matter what you do or don't do.

80 degrees here yesterday [....briefly.....in direct sunshine ] and we're pushing 40 right now with a very chilly, stiff wind. :frozen: Overnight low was merely 20....not down to single digits like it might be tonite if we don't warm up!

and I'm hoping the YUCKO feeling I have this morning are merely sinus problem plus whatever MS might be up to... :unsure: Praying it is now a virus thing. Cuz sinus/MS is not catching and will usually get better by noon.....or sometime. An actual cold/flu can last... :fever:

But with these crazy swings in temperature, a lot of folks are sneezing/coughing. 'Tis the season.....

MtRider ....also have a close relationship to my heating pad! :D

MrWE2's not had any outside work this week so we've been doing some of "our stuff" :-) He's working on repairing soffit & facia on one side of the house that sustained damage during last year's high winds...he just never got around to it :-) We've also decided not to spend the money camping out for Thanksgiving. We're already winterized both the travel trailer and Miss B so we'd have to fill several gallons of water to haul with us. We'll eat here at home and take Miss B on some "day trips" and if we decide to stay over night someplace, we can usually find a WM which is free :-) The weather hasn't been too awefully bad other than being windy and chilly at night...BUT they're calling for some true winter temps the middle of next week. I couldn't help but think of CGA and praying she's got things buttoned up for winter weather and her solar system functioning the way she wants it to. Sat down and paid bills today (ughhh) and got all medicals paid except the remaining hospital bill. Called the self-pay rep and made arrangements to make payments that we can afford ... to the hospital. I remember when I had my first child and my hospital bill was $385 ... this past surgery for hospital alone was almost $15K. Medicare paid a significant portion, but still left me with about 10% to pay out of pocket. We'll "git 'er done" :-) We've still got some metal recycling we need to get done so that will bring in a few extra dollars. We pulled the old front seats out of Miss B (we'll sell them) and put the brand new seats that MrWE2 had bought for the old Tioga (still wrapped in plastic and never used) in Miss B. They sure look wonderful! Also took the old Tioga flip-up counter extender and put it in Miss B and it will make a HUGE difference in counter work space when I'm preparing food etc. As for it being Friday, it's usually a work day (whether he's got outside work or not) that we spend on the Roost etc. The new shelves he built in the storage shed there are wonderful! They hold eighteen 20# propane bottles, 20 or so gasoline plastic cans and a couple of cases of the little propane cannisters. And...there's still floor space to store the items he's taking out of Tioga. We're saving the appliances, 4-burner stove, frig, furnace, water heater, 9v lights and lots of other "useables" hoping we can use them in a cabin we want to build. So...TGIF? Work keeps right on going around here :-) But one thing is for certain...we work hard but we also play hard. When we stop to play we play catch up! LOL

Sounds like Miss B is gonna be like new by the time you get finished with her! You are lucky your Wal-Mart allows you to overnight park. Here they have signs in their lots saying, "No Overnight Parking" in both the 24 hour stores and the other ones too. The same with our K-Marts. I haven't noticed any at Target. I don't shop there as often.

It got cold here today too. I saw a couple of flakes of snow this morning. Only a couple but it portends of things to come. I still need to get plastic on the windows. I've either been busy during the day and only think about it at night. I don't want to do it at night and have the neighbors gawking in with the blinds and curtains down and all of the lights on.

RANT ON:

Every time I have something medical done and think I have everything paid, about 3 months later I get a bill. I don't like those kind of surprises. I think there should be a statute of limitations for how long they can wait to send a bill. One month is plenty of time to bill someone. It can really be a budget buster. When my FIL was terminally ill and had invasive (experimental) surgery, my MIL got bills a year later. It was like a slap in the face.

RANT OFF.

I've been thinking about CGA a lot too. Wish she would check in! Any one hear from her? I'd like to hear how she and her DD are doing and what they are up too. She is missed.

It has been two weeks or longer since I heard from CGA .

She has been working on the big cabin,,sounded like it was

insulated, drywalled, painted, floor was to be or is painted,

the cabin is wired for 12 volt special lights she mentioned which I

had not heard of ....had to be wired for just so, wood stove is

there,(no wood when I last talked to her) tile laid for the stove and

backboard-she did all that. I think the next thing , maybe done by now

was to get help moving the heavy furniture into the new cabin. She has

her water tank , filled with rain water-I forget how big it is.

Solar is beyond me but she does have power, and will have sufficient, I do

not believe it was all hooked up at the time but she had all she needed.

Shelter for the goats, hay in shelter.

CGA said she had had a cold but I do believe she caught Missouri's famous allergies

which go away with frost. The pollen count has been extremely high this year and

lots of sneezing going on.... But she has been desperately working to get the cabin

ready before winter and ready for them to move in.

Bethany has slipped back to her former condition. She is healthy but a little child.

At dark tonight, 28 F , spitting tiny snow balls.... now , a few hours later, dusting so far of snow bits. Yep, it got cold, and definitely soup weather here.

Began to sort out my cupboard over counter, and need to get under it to the old pans that are about useless except for boiling waters but I want to minimize . I think that will give me more room in my kitchen for a few more canned goods instead and clear out the clutter of several years miscellaneous pans and such stuff .... lol. Glad my kerchief yarn came in. It goes on some needles very soon... Miss Macy the kitty is sitting here keeping me company, since I gave her her evening treat. Bout to take up needles and do the scarf until I come to end of yarn and must wait for the other skein to arrive in mail to complete it. That should take til bedtime for me. Nice and quiet. Looked at weather reports for next week....... hope everyone is winterized! Its a nice mellow night and I enjoyed a visit with my friend M and her man, L, after I went to post office. Got other part of my prime pantry order ,so even the cat is set up and I have more varieties of tea.. About to try the Green tea with pomegranate and blackberry for an evening cup of tea, decaf. Probably won't need any sweetener and is a good dose of antioxidants .

Thank You Twilight! :hug3:

Good to hear she is plugging along and keeping up. Be sure to let her know lots of us here are thinking of her and miss her.

I second that!!!

MtRider :sigh: Miss her!

I miss her too!!!

Today, we blew our budget and finally made it out to eat as a belated 32nd anniversary present to each other. DH's favorite, all you can eat crab. I found the salad bar, salmon and white rice. :yum3:

We are finally feeling 'human', after 3 weeks of battling this crud and fever. We think it came in our house from a guest who casually mentioned he was feeling better. :blink: Next time I will take that type of comment as a reason to sterilize the house immediately. :shakinghead:

TGIF, and Saturday is house cleaning day. I will be starting early, before DH wakes up, in order to have it completed before more guests arrive.

We seem to have finally gotten the red flour beetles under control. I am only finding one or two occasionally. As soon as we are able, we will be buying diatomaceous earth and spreading it around the outside edge of the house, inside around the baseboards and anywhere there is a crack, which the bugs could possibly come in. Diatomaceous earth is used as a bug killer and can be eaten by humans. http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp With the ferrets, we need something that will not hurt them. (It kills ants too... )

In the summer we use R-Tech 1/2" insulation on the windows. I cut the piece to fit the window and taped a tab on the corner, to remove it when I wanted to. It is white and lets some light in, there is no writing on the back side. Anyone that sees it from outside, only sees a white sheet. Even when it was 118*F outside, you could not feel the heat through the window. I bought one sheet too many, when I insulated the shed and it turned out to be a good thing. Cut our summer electric bill down $100.00.

Hope you all had a great day.

Thank You Twilight! :hug3:

Good to hear she is plugging along and keeping up. Be sure to let her know lots of us here are thinking of her and miss her.

I second that!!!

MtRider :sigh: Miss her!

I miss her too!!!

Today, we blew our budget and finally made it out to eat as a belated 32nd anniversary present to each other. DH's favorite, all you can eat crab. I found the salad bar, salmon and white rice. :yum3:

We are finally feeling 'human', after 3 weeks of battling this crud and fever. We think it came in our house from a guest who casually mentioned he was feeling better. :blink: Next time I will take that type of comment as a reason to sterilize the house immediately. :shakinghead:

TGIF, and Saturday is house cleaning day. I will be starting early, before DH wakes up, in order to have it completed before more guests arrive.

We seem to have finally gotten the red flour beetles under control. I am only finding one or two occasionally. As soon as we are able, we will be buying diatomaceous earth and spreading it around the outside edge of the house, inside around the baseboards and anywhere there is a crack, which the bugs could possibly come in. Diatomaceous earth is used as a bug killer and can be eaten by humans. http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp With the ferrets, we need something that will not hurt them. (It kills ants too... )

In the summer we use R-Tech 1/2" insulation on the windows. I cut the piece to fit the window and taped a tab on the corner, to remove it when I wanted to. It is white and lets some light in, there is no writing on the back side. Anyone that sees it from outside, only sees a white sheet. Even when it was 118*F outside, you could not feel the heat through the window. I bought one sheet too many, when I insulated the shed and it turned out to be a good thing. Cut our summer electric bill down $100.00.

Hope you all had a great day.

Couldn't help but think when you mentioned guest "leaving behind" things that bring harm to your family...and how easily it can be introduced to our lives :-( My usual cleaning days are Monday (at mother's) and Tuesday & Wednesday here. We've used diatomaceous earth for some time. First around our garden squares for snails & slugs etc. Also sprinkled it inside the bottoms of our 33 gallon (?) trash cans that have bagged beans, bagged oats, bagged dog food etc., and then sprinkle it on top of the bags before snapping on the tight fitting lids. Then again on top of those lids. It's wonderful around the outside of your house since it disentrigates both hard and soft shelled coverings of insects etc. It won't hurt animals other than if they "sniff" and get a snoot full. The little "glassy" parts are NOT good, that's why we don't use it around the outside of the houses. Abby-girl would sniff ANYTHING :-( We also wear masks when we're using it because it's terribly dangerous for your eyes. Our area is known for Box Elder bugs and it's a cheap & good way to keep them away IF you can sprinkle around the outside of your home. I use liquid dishwashing soap but I have to do it every day until their "season" is over :-( MrWE2 had never encountered them until this year at the Roost but after I explained to him they don't bite, they don't chew ...that all they do is reproduce to be eaten by grand daddy long leg spiders, crickets, grass hoppers etc., he wasn't so alarmed when he opened the shed and found the inside bottom of the doors packed solid :-) or :-( ??? LOL Also agreeing with you on handling windows. We put "reflective" film 3/4 way up on our bay windows, put clear plastic on the others, installed new steel clad front & back doors and then lowered our heat temp to 65 for winter and 80 for summer. We wear insulated clothing in winter and go very light in summer ... INSIDE :-) When we checked our cooling bill from last year we were $200 less and about $100 for heat. We didn't even use the EdenPur last year but probably will this winter since they're forecasting such a frigid and early winter.