MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Coffee Base

I read a while back about making a sort-of coffee syrup, using coffee grounds with a little water. You keep it in the fridge, and take a spoonful as needed, add water (hot or cold) to make a cup of coffee. Does anyone do this or know how to do it? I'd like to try it, but can't find the information again.

WHEW! You sent me on quite a search!! putersmile1.gif

I finally found what I think you meant on "Flicker"... by cobalt123

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My recipe on making coffee concentrate is below. It's the best method of making very rich coffee at home. Easy to do and inexpensive, you can keep it 2 weeks in your refrigerator. Just fill a coffee mug up about 1/4 and add hot water. Very smooth and rich. This image shows a shot of the ground coffee in a bowl, just after I added the water to soak the coffee. After 12 hours, the concentrate is very dark brown and ready to use. It "works" because the coffee is not "cooked" again before the concentrate is made.

In a 2 1/2 quart bowl:

5 cups fresh ground coffee (grind it fine)

Fill bowl to rim with filtered water

Let sit for 12 hours or more, covered with a lid or plastic wrap. Stir a few times over the soaking period. Produces about 4 1/2 cups of coffee concentrate.

Strain the liquid into a refrigerator bottle or container. To use, makes great hot coffee or iced coffee. Use only about 1/5 or 1/3 of the glass or mug of the concentrate. Add water or milk (for iced coffee). Sugar as desired.

My particular preferences, just found by experimenting:

I grind up 2 or 3 types of coffee, with my favorite recipe using 3 cups of a hazelnut flavored coffee, and the rest is French roast, Kona Blend, or other types of coffee beans. I found that grinding coffee beans makes the best flavor.

(COMMENTS ON SITE)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cobalt/768633539/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And another...

Coffee Concentrate Recipe

Wynnebaer

Ingredients -

1/4 lb. coffee, regular grind

2 cups cold water

Directions -

Put water and coffee in a glass jar

Stir and seal jar

Chill in fridge for 24-48 hours

Strain liquid through coffee filter into clean container, stirring up grounds now and then

Get as much liquid as you can out through a coffee filter

Store, covered, in refrigerator

For hot coffee: add 2 tbls. concentrate per 3/4 cup almost boiling water

For iced coffee, 2 tbls. concentrate per 1/2 cup water and add ice

http://www.grouprecipes.com/76474/coffee-concentrate.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And still another...

toddy coffee

Water: good water; preferably well filtered water, or distilled.

Coffee: fresh, either whole beans, or coarsely ground.

Measurements

If you have whole bean coffee:

2 cups of water for every one cup of beans

If you have coarsely ground coffee beans:

3 cups of water for every one cup of beans

Instructions

If you are starting with whole beans, grind them coarsely.

Add the beans and water together in a wide-mouthed glass jar with a lid.

Mix once to get all the coarse coffee grains wet (it is okay for them to float).

Allow them to stand for 8 to 12 hours in temperatures between 50oF and 65oF.

Filter out all solids, and then strain.

Pour remaining liquid in jar and store in refrigerator (for up to 3 weeks).

Mix 2 or 3 one-ounce "shots" with 12 ounces of either:

boiling or steamed water

simmered or steamed milk

to make your individual coffee drink.

I've been doing that for 30 years! It's called a Coffee TODDY... and you can buy the "kits" on eBay or other sites on-line. You put 1 pound of coarsely ground beans into the white plastic cylinder, with a fabric filter at the bottom; fill with water and let it sit 14 hours. Then, pull the plug at the bottom of the white cylinder and let the coffee concentrate flow into a glass container (all that is in the kit for less than $30). The concentrate stays in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks, and the filter takes 90% of the acid AND caffeine out of the beans naturally..... You have fresh coffee always; and you can make it as strong as you want (adjusting how much concentrate to a cup of hot water) It's actually a "jigger" of coffee to a cup of hot water; and the inside of the lid of the glass jar is the correct amount for a regular cup....... Trust me! Those other people have no idea what you're talking about. They didn't even know what a toddy system was at Starbuck's:)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...01175501AA2V6r5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sound like what you want??

kittyhug4.gif

My mom used to use that for making iced coffee in the Summertime. She sweetened it with simple syrup. The grownips seemed to love it.

I can't personally say if it was good, my folks thought kids shouldn't drink coffee. :(

Archived