MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Try new approaches

Momo

When doing general searches for family members don't give up too easily. I had tried my Aunt's name several times and came up with nothing. One day I added her middle name and got a picture of her from the newspaper from 1928 when my Grannie entered her in a pretty baby contest! What a treasure to find!

• 3 weeks later...

I totally agree and is a major frustration in doing geneology research even with computers and ability for phonetic searching. I love it (not) when people are recorded by TITLE only (Henry The Lion Heart), which may change with status over time, names are (mis)spelled or totally changed when immigrating, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Found my grandmother's grave with her maiden name misspelled by whoever took the info from the stone. I was actually searching for someone else when I found the grave info, NOT in the town where she lived after her marriage, where daddy was raised and I was born, but in another small town some ways south of there.

Also be aware that the name you knew someone by might be a middle name or even a nickname. I knew daddy's father by Ernest but that was his middle name. Oddly, for all these yrs I overlooked the evidence on my own birth certificate that said the info was given by Mrs William K*****. William was his first name.

Still looking for several people who are not on the SSDI. Granny Willie is not listed nor is Grandpa Ernest. She died in 56, but I don't know when he died, just that he was still alive in 66 when we moved to alaska.

It's so true. My husband's grandfather, known only as Joe Henry to several generations of the family, was actually named Henry Joseph. I discovered his birth certificate, which none of them had ever seen.