MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

recipes using only canned food

Trying to stock my pantry for hurricanes. Does anyone have

good recipes using only canned foods, spices, and items not

refrigerated or frozen? I'm not a good cook so I don't home

can. We're lactose intolerate and any canned items with

dairy is not an option.

I've racked my brain but know there are some good cooks out

there. Would love a good canned green bean recipe. Have tried rinsing, washing, using tap water instead of liquid in

can, adding dried onion. No luck. Thanks for any help.

I tend to just put stuff together that sounds good. This feeds about 4 people if you put some rice, a vegetable or fruit, and a bread product with it.

1 can garbanzo beans, drained

1 can stewed or diced tomatoes (your choice of any extras they might have) Not drained

olive oil (about 1 T)

dried onion (about 1 1/2 T)

garlic powder (about 1/2 teaspoon)

chili powder (about 2 teaspoons)

oregano (about 1 teaspoon)

salt and pepper to taste

The seasonings are all dependent on your own tastes. You can also add dehydrated green pepper.

Put it all in a heavy skillet (I use cast iron) and cover with a lid. Cook over med-low heat about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. The liquid should be mostly evaporated when it is done. You just need to cook it long enough to rehydrate the dehydrated stuff and blend the flavors. Serve over rice.

Variation: Add about 1 cup water and 1 cup minute rice during the last 10 minutes. You can also add some canned corn (drained), some canned jalepenos, and some canned olives (any or all of these).

I know this is not a nice neat recipe, but it's the way I cook.

Also creamed soups, such as mushroom or celery make a good starting point for easy one dish "canned" meals. Just pick a protein such as beans, canned chicken, or tuna, a vegetable (or more than one), some seasonings, and potatoes(canned), rice (instant), or pasta. Combine the ingredients and add enough water water to make it thinner than the final sauce you want (about half a can for each can of soup) or use the juice from the vegetables. Cook it in a skillet over med low until the sauce reaches the consistency you want.

waiting, could you give me more info?

Do you not like the green bean liquid from the can, or do you think you can't use it? Don't like the taste?

What kind of sauces do you use, being lactose intolerant? My mother-in-law uses non-dairy creamer in some things, or soy milk.

Please tell me how you like to eat; for example, do you like tuna? Canned chicken? Casseroles? Sandwiches?

Do you live where you can light a fire, or have a grill? Or are we talking about apartment living?

These things will help us get a better idea how to help.

Smothered Green Beans

submitted by Pam of Baton Rouge, Louisiana

4 cans cut green beans

1 jar Hormel bacon real bacon bits

dehydrated onion or Lipton onion soup mix

2 T margarine or butter flavor Crisco

salt

pepper

garlic powder

Add margarine in bottom of pan with bacon bits and dehydrated onion. Saute for a few minutes and add 2 cans of green beans with no juice and 2 cans with the juice of the beans. Cook until wilted and smothered. Add salt and pepper to taste.

like this?

or this?

Green Bean Almondine

Ingredients:

1 can beans drained –liquid saved

1 teaspoon butter flavored crisco

1/4 cup saved liquid

1 teaspoon dried, crumbled

pepper to taste

1 can pearl onions or sliced onions or dried onions reconstituted in saved liquid not used

2 tablespoons sliced almonds

1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Instructions:

In a large nonstick skillet, heat crisco over medium-high heat.

Add green beans and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly so beans cook evenly.

Add ¼ cup liquid, oregano, and pepper; sauté for 20 to 30 seconds.

Add onions. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes

Meanwhile, in a small nonstick pan over medium heat, dry-roast almonds, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle bread crumbs and almonds over cooked beans.

Thanks Westbrook. As long as the finished product doesn't

have a canned green bean taste, this will be great. How

many servings does the Smothered Green Beans make? Looks like it makes a lot. The Green Bean Almondine would be a

variety. And we love almonds.

Cat, Thanks for the welcome. More info: Went through 3 hurricanes in Fl. last year. No electricity, no water, no

regular cooking facilities for 10 days. Did have a camp stove. Decided then to try to find recipes. We live in the

country, so campfire, grill,camp stove could all be used.

Don't like the taste of the green bean liquid. To us it gives the beans a tin taste. Anything to counteract the taste. Spicey would be good. Since the hurricanes I've

learned to make Bannock Bread and have found that 1 heaping

tablespoons of soy flour and 1 tablespoon of water can be

substituted for 1 egg in baking products like bread. I usually fix gravies..no creamed sauces. I was wondering about Coffemate as a substitute in creamed sauces or other

recipes that need milk. You said your Mother'n'Law uses it.

Can you tell me how? We like tuna and canned chicken. Hubby

won't touch Spam, corned beef, or canned hams. Maybe if I

knew how to fix it so the taste is different??? Casseroles

are good, but how do you cook them without an oven? We do

eat a lot of rice. I like potatoes, but there again, the

canned ones have that tin taste, which I don't like. Like

broccoli but have never seen any canned broccoli other than

creamed broccoli soup. I hope my inquiry will help not only

me but other people in situations that may require just canned or dry packaged items as their choice.

Baking...

there are several ways to bake outside.

Have a BBQ with a lid? you use it like you would a wood cook stove. I have made pizza, bread and pie.

Of course the most used is a Dutch Oven.

how to season http://www.grizzlybase.com/useful/dutch_oven.asp

how to bake chicken

http://www.lsdos.com/chicken.html

basic seasoning, use, size, how many coals to use, recipes and more..

http://y2kchaos.entrewave.com/view/y2kchaos/s35p644.htm

recipes..scroll down

http://www.isu.edu/outdoor/dutch.html

forget the directions it is for store bought dough, but the information at the bottom for achieving a specific temperature is interesting..

http://www.rhodesbread.com/consumer/recipe...hoven/tips.html

http://www.waltonfeed.com/grain/ldscn/58.html

Another way to bake is to build an outside oven.

solar? http://www.endtimesreport.com/building_a_solar_oven.html

oven?

http://www.sunset.com/sunset/Premium/Home/...beOven0898.html

Minestrone soup

1 can white beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can green beans

2 cans chicken stock

dried onion

1 small can carrots

2 large cans tomato chunks

garlic powder

dried basil or oregano to taste

Dried celery leaves to taste

Dried parsley to taste

Pour all cans into large pot

Simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors

Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce and 1 teaspoon vinegar

Serve with dried parmeasan cheese

One thing I do when I buy my canned goods is to have a portion of my cupboard where I put all the ingredients for soups together.Three kinds of beans with one can of carrots and two cans tomatoes and chicken stock. Then just dump in a pan and ... soup.

Taco soup

1 can kidney beans

1 can green beans

1 can corn

two cans tomatoes

1 can chicken broth

dried onion

dried garlic

1 package dried taco seasoning

Mix all in pan (including all juice)

Simmer 15 minutes-soup

One thing we like and it sounds really easy

2 cans tomato soup made however you like it but make it thinner than usual)

1 cup thin noodles

1 small can green beans

1 can olives sliced (small)

Instant comfort food

I substitute chicke broth for one can of water

You can dry things like celery leaves by leaving them on a tray on the counter. Keep in a tightly lidded jar. One tablespoon of leaves give the flavor and don't take up much space. For Y2K we cooked ground beef and rinsed it off. Put on dehydrator until nuggets formed. Keep in freezer in tightly covered jar. You can add the dehydrated meat to soup and it does taste like regular meat. Also the dehydrated food places have dried chicken, beef and ground beef. It is expensive for a can of that but it makes over 25 servings. Some places have the smaller cans of dehydrated meat that is easier to keep and use. It is cheaper also. You can make almost any soup or casserole by using canned foods. I practice all the time and find which ones DH like. Make a recipe list for your cupboard door. Put them in a zip lock bag and you have instant recipe cards. Also if you place all your dry ingredients in jars where you can reach them and use them your family will get used to canned food cooking and it will be easier in an emergency.

goatherder,

powdered goats milk!!! even my son allergic to anything from a cow.. milk, meat, butter, cheese ... could drink and eat anything from a goat!

I ain't talkin' 'bout no stinkin' store bought milk either!

But powdered goats milk isn't bad.

Rice milk.. we liked it better then soy because it was at least white! hard to pour soy milk over cereal and it was brown.

I've been researching this for waiting, and I've found that most sites say that *many* people with lactose intolerance also have problems with goat milk. They recommend "proceeding with caution".

The consensus seems to be using rice milk in cooking. But I'm still working on it...

Safety Lady, I've heard a little about dehydrated meats, not much. Is there anyway to dehydrate it at home and package it so it doesn't have to be kept in the freezer? Or

would it be better to buy the cans of dehydrated meat? We like Spaghetti and was looking for a no 'frig/freezer way of

storing hamburger. Thanks for all the great tips and recipes.

Six Can Chili

2 cans chili (without beans)(15 ounce)

1 can condensed french onion soup (10 ounce)

1 can diced tomato (28 ounces)

1 can pinto or kidney beans (15 ounces)

1 can spicy or not chili beans (15 ounces)

1/4 cup cornmeal

1 teaspoon paprika

1/2 cup bbq sauce

In Crockpot, combine all ingredients - it is not necessary to drain any of the beans - mix well. Cover and cook on high setting for 2 to 4 hours or until thourghly heated. Or cook on low setting 8 to 9 hours. Or in a pinch slow simmer over low heat.

For hotter chili flavor add 2 teaspoons chili powder.

This is easy and tasty. Not a real spicy chili just good. I prefer to use a can of crushed tomato when I cook, just because not all of my little ones will eat chunks of tomato willingly.

Mom

Cheesy Ham Augratin

(not quite an all canned food recipe but close)

2 cups diced cooked ham

2 cups milk

1 cup boiling water

2 cans Mexicorn

1 can condensed cheddar cheese soup

1 package cheesy scallop potatoes

In crockpot, combine all indgredients, mix well, making sure potato slices are covered with sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or until potatoes are tender. Yields: 4 servings

Also bake in moderate oven until potatoes are tender. Can change flavor of dish by using a different flavor of cheddar cheese soup. Good dish, I usually end up having to double it to feed my family of six, but a great way to use up leftover ham..I normally have the items on hand, not always the fancy corn stuff, so I just use regular and add diced pepper or pimento if I have it. Enjoy!

MOM

Country Ham and Corn Casserole

2 cups cooked chopped ham

1/2 cup green onion, chopped

1/2 cup melted margerine or butter

3 well beaten eggs

1 can cream style corn

1 can mexicorn

1 pkg. corn muffin mix ( I use good ole Jiffy)

1 cup shredded cheddar

350 F oven. Grease 2 quart baking dish. Combine all ingredients in large bowl except cheese. Pour into greased casserole. Bake 45 to 55 min. or until golden and set. Sprinkle with cheese, bake additional few min. just to melt cheese. Let stand before serving. Cut into squares. Serve with sliced apples and a green salad. Yields: six servings.

Easy and yum! And yes, I love ham and pretty much anything with ham in it! LOL! MOM

Mexican Lasagne

9 uncooked lasagne noodles

2 can refried beans ( 16 ounces)

1 can sliced olives ( 2 ounces)

I cup of salsa

2 cups shredded cheddar

Cook lasagne noodles to desired doneness, drain, cover and keep warm. Heat oven to 375F. Lightly grease 2 quart baking dish. In medium bowl, mash beans; stir in olives. Place 3 noodles on bottom of dish, top with 1/3 of beans, then 1/3 of salsa and cheese. Repeat layers twice, ending with cheese. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Top each serving with sour cream, if desired. Yields:6 servings

My sister did not put hers in the freezer, just used it. I put mine in the freezer and use it. Make sure it is really dry. My dehydrator book does not require freezer or refrigeration. I would recommend putting the dehydrated meat in the over to make it really crisp, putting it in jar with o2 absorbers and check it to make sure it does not have any mold on it. We are still using the stuff we did for y2k and are still alive. Rest of the board, what do you thing?

Archived