MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A new site I found

Momo

I was just on (ancestry dot com) as a lark and to maybe get some dates and they had a couple of things wrong. I was in my 30's when my grandmother died and we were very close so do know some of the family history. They said there were 2 children born to her and my grandfather, but they had 6 living children. My mother was number 6. They also have my grandfather's middle name wrong. Close but not correct. There is also two different spellings of my grandmothers maiden name. I'm not a member there and was just doing the free search. I had all of their birth and death years but thought I'd get their month and day birthdays. I have what I know, on my mother's side, on a spread sheet in Excel.

I know. A lot of the online stuff, including the ones who charge, just go by other peoples memory...or lack of. I know one of my aunts died when she was 16yrs. of TB aka Consumption, but one of my cousins will swear she died from cancer. I remember our grandmother telling us about her many times. I have her small ring that is broken in half and the Bible that she gave my grandmother, which was her mother. Some people get something in their mind and that is it.

Some day I think I'll write down all of the deaths in my family and go to a site where you can look up a death certificate. I think they charge a monthly fee. But now I can't remember the site. Most modern death certificates are unique because they give the final cause of death...not just cancer but where. My mother died from breast cancer but she didn't die from losing a breast. It had to have spread to a vital organ.