MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

• 1 year later...

Thank you for posting this. :) I have just started using my food saver vacuum for jars. I just bought something off Ebay a few minutes ago to be able to do more. I have a lot of old glass mayonnaise jars and I can't get the vacuum sealer to seal those for the life of me. I saw something on you tube the other day and thought now THAT will work and i can use my mayo jars for this and save my canning jars for pressure canning and water bath. She used one of those plastic round canisters that comes with some food savers and she put her jar IN that and vacuum sealed it inside it. Then she opened the canister lid and took out the jar. She was using spaghetti jars or any used jar like that if it has a seal on it and it vacuum sealed it. What a way to recycle more. My plastic canisters aren't tall enough to put the qt. jar in but the one I just purchased is tall enough. I thought that was such a good idea!!

Good advise WormGuy. I've had to do that a lot too. I love my FoodSaver but I have a hard time getting the lids to stay on dried food too. I even use brand new lids and still have troubles. Usually 2 lids help. I also read where you can take that little gasket out of the FoodSaver lid thingy and turn it around. I didn't notice any difference but it might help some one else?

Added to say the jars stay sealed once I can get the lid to stick to it in the beginning.

Thank you for posting this. :) I have just started using my food saver vacuum for jars. I just bought something off Ebay a few minutes ago to be able to do more. I have a lot of old glass mayonnaise jars and I can't get the vacuum sealer to seal those for the life of me. I saw something on you tube the other day and thought now THAT will work and i can use my mayo jars for this and save my canning jars for pressure canning and water bath. She used one of those plastic round canisters that comes with some food savers and she put her jar IN that and vacuum sealed it inside it. Then she opened the canister lid and took out the jar. She was using spaghetti jars or any used jar like that if it has a seal on it and it vacuum sealed it. What a way to recycle more. My plastic canisters aren't tall enough to put the qt. jar in but the one I just purchased is tall enough. I thought that was such a good idea!!

:thumbs: Yes, the cannisters are wonderful for just the thing you're talking about! We've used them on odd sized jars with lids that the cannister lid won't fit on.

Edited by The WE2's

Good advise WormGuy. I've had to do that a lot too. I love my FoodSaver but I have a hard time getting the lids to stay on dried food too. I even use brand new lids and still have troubles. Usually 2 lids help. I also read where you can take that little gasket out of the FoodSaver lid thingy and turn it around. I didn't notice any difference but it might help some one else?

Added to say the jars stay sealed once I can get the lid to stick to it in the beginning.

We've had to remove the blue rubber gasket, give it a wash, let it dry completely and then put it back in. Helps a lot :-) We have a pretty powerful machine, and it's been a workhorse...but...sometimes the cannister lid just needs a cleaning or an extra lid? LOL

As posted previously...mayo jar rims are usually thinner than the gasket on the lid :-( As a last ditch effort...I'd do the hand vac thing...take a push pin, push it through the top of your lid and place a small piece of black electrical tape across the hole. Put the lid on your jar, use the Ziplock hand vac to pull the oxyg out, then quickly press down on the tape covered hole and it's surroundings as firmly as possible. I've got jars of seasonings etc., that are a year old and the tape still holds. Just keep checking them to make sure the seal is holding. If I have to open the jar, I just do the same thing again to re-seal it. Just works for us :-)

Does any one use their old lids that have been through a canning process for storing dry goods? I saw somewhere that they work good for this if they haven't been bent up upon removal from the canned items. Thought it would be a good way to get some extra use out of them.

Does any one use their old lids that have been through a canning process for storing dry goods? I saw somewhere that they work good for this if they haven't been bent up upon removal from the canned items. Thought it would be a good way to get some extra use out of them.

Absolutely! When I take my lids off from my regular canned jars, I use my little "awl" and scratch an "X" across the top. That way I know I've pressure canned with it, then I put it in a special ziplock baggie that I store them in.