MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dry Canning Crackers ???

Hi Everybody

I have been storing crackers in mason jars and sealing with my Food Saver. I really like the Ritz crackers that I buy in the short stack packages. One unopened package fits into a 12 oz jar (with a little extra space at the top). They last at least 2 years - they get eaten by then.

Recently I saw the following videos on YouTube about dry canning crackers in the oven. The guy that made the first video said that the crackers are good for at least 10 years. Have any of you tried this method? Do you know the true shelf life? Is this method safer?

Dry Canning Crackers

Another video on Dry Canning Crackers

Thanks,

YYY

Umm... Yes and no. 'Oyster' crackers, and I am not sure they are the same in the English stores, were just such. They were baked that way, in dimpled cast iron trays, to be such a larder stretcher. Think of a dry matzo or hard-tack baked into nuggets, using a 'honey dropper' to fill the dimples in the tray. Such nuggets were beloved by our late Majerestadt, but his were a bit 'sourdough', and had a bit of oatmeal. Shelf life is 'indefinate', if you can seal away from air borne mold/mildew/etc. I also know that such was issued to confederate troops by the state of Alabama as a trail food in wax paper bags (and the reinacters love the 'wheat bullets').

Sarah

of the Librum

Yes, but I use my food saver lid seal attachment for mine, and I've also left some in their wax paper "tube", vacume sealed them in bags, and then they're sealed again in a big mylar bag for future use. I don't use my oven for any jar sealing etc.

Violet is absolutely right...I failed to mention in previous post, that's the reason I never use my oven for my jars. Not only can they break while in the oven, break when you open the door, but there's a real possibility that they could explode by just bumping each other when you set them on your counter. Violet will know the facts on that since I'm not a canner, but I have heard some real horror stories of trying to can in your ovens or even in dishwasher's heat cycle.