MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What is the best way...

To store bacon grease? I have a 3lb can full & starting on another can. I know I can freeze it, but is there another way? Should I just leave it sitting on the counter?

:wormie2:

John

I store mine in the freezer too.

When it cools down a little I pour it into small size containers (like a butter dish) and put it in a freezer bag and freeze it. I keep one in the fridge for use. When it's used up I take another one out of the freezer and put it in the fridge.

My bacon grease is precious. I don't take any chances with it.

My grandmother used to keep a can of it sitting out on her counter. She had a metal can with "Grease" embossed on the side of it. It held about a quart. But she used it all of the time so it was getting rotated often. Now days with all of the chemicals, hormones and antibiotics used in our animals I prefer to refrigerate it. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. That's just it...I don't know. I don't use it often enough (like every day) to let it set out.

If you have a 3 pound can (lucky you) and starting on another one, it doesn't sound like you are using it fast enough to let all of it sit out.

An old granny secret...IF you can find those old metal/aluminum ice cube trays...pour your bacon grease in it, freeze it and then dump the chunks out into a baggy. When you want some, grab a cube or two :-) The 2nd way (which I do) is pressure can mine in half pint or pint jars...just as you would meat :-)

Wow. We do good to keep a small bowl in the fridge. We use that liquid gold a lot. It will go rancid on the counter and you lose so much of the nutritional value ... is what someone much more knowledgable than I, said. But yeah, we always had the grease can on the stove growing up too. So I don't guess it will kill you instantly. Just maybe do some long-term damage we'll never know about!! :laughkick:

My grandma finally switched to lard when it was just her she was cooking for. I remember she kept a box of it in her fridge. It came in a waxed cardboard type box and inside the box was a wax paper lining it. You could bring the paper up over the lard to help protect it. It lasted a long time.

'Liquid gold' indeed! Living alone, I don't get near enough bacon grease. I even thought about buying some once. I figured that would be a strange request though. I thought about frying up a HUGE batch of bacon. But I'd probably eat it all...at once.

Now I'm wondering. Would already fried bacon be good frozen? Fry it, freeze it and then reheat it. Wonder if it would turn out crispy ??? Pan fry, microwave it or bake it in the oven to get it re-crispy ???

Bacon grease, lard and real butter?! Granny lived to 92. She didn't smoke but she did like her beer.

Jeepers, I don't see why you couldn't precook bacon. They sell it at the store. I just wouldn't fry it completely crispy, so it can crisp up when you warm it up without burning. We've used the precooked bacon for camping and I use it to make green bean bundles since sometimes the raw bacon doesn't get crisp enough for me. The precooked is limp so I cook it a little longer than it says to help it crisp up.

I have cooked & then froze bacon. 30 or so seconds in the nuker & it is almost like fresh. I've got about 20 pounds in the freezer now waiting to be cooked.

:wormie2:

John

I've got several half pints of bacon (uncooked) that we canned some time ago. When we tested it, just popped the lid off, dumped it into a skillet, fried it crisp and we had bacon bits. Also good for just adding to beans etc. The extra bacon grease? I canned it!

Jeepers, cook your bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet. Self cleaning ovens work miracles on bacon residue. I layer serving sizes between wax paper in a Rubbermaid container and drop it in the freezer. If I don't do it this way, dh will cook and EAT the whole pound. There was a time when we had family at home, I would cook up a 25 lb case of bacon.

Oh my. Lookie what I found. I'd use metal skewers and pop those babies on a grill. No good for saving the grease but might be worth the sacrifice once in awhile. They could be baked in an oven too. Add a slice of onion, a slab of tomato and a little mayo...hog heaven. Literally.

Gaaaaaaaaa <------------ Me doing my Homer Simpson donut drool sound.

post-2492-0-57652200-1466049233_thumb.jpg

I fry up my bacon in batches then freeze the slices for BLTs - mary doesn't eat bacon. I also freeze the grease, but am going to try canning it instead, as the freezer gets crowded. I must confess tho, that I do not always leave all that bacvon in the freezer....sometimes I have a bacon frenzy and pop those still frozen individual sticks in my mouth until they soften like jerky. Nothing duplicates that bacon flavor....nothing.

:yum3: This thread has me drooling!

I freeze bacon grease and portions of uncooked bacon in ziplocks. It's gotten popular again and thus expensive...so I buy during sales.

MtRider .....don't hate me but....has anyone had the nerve to try the "bacon flavored" Spam? I'm curious...but afraid! :behindsofa:

Well, as a former card-carrying resident of Hawaii......I can eat Spam. Misubi. Spam 'n eggs. Etc.

Current Spam supplies happened when I explained to my very carnivore DH that in a Post Major Hooey....meat might be a 'condiment'.

:runcirclsmiley2:

Yep, that was his reaction. :rolleyes: Then he began to catch Spam on sale. I got a little more interested once I saw the 'bacon' variety. :whistling: But haven't actually tried it yet. I have no fear of being unable to eat such things in the Post-Hooey tho. :feedme: But until then, I'd like the real bacon for as long as possible.

MtRider .....I noted to DH that any more Spam purchases should be in the bacon version. ;) And we could fry them in real bacon grease too!