MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

You Might Be A Survivalist If...

Leah

Originally Posted By: jewlzm

When you get caught going through someone elses trash.. not for ID theft.. but for extra compost materials?

Now THAT has visual impact! :blink:

When you watch Cops/Swat/Court TV and make in fun of the handguns of both the good and bad guys (by caliber, etc.).

When you can watch a Cops episode and can name the gun maker and caliber 3 seconds after the cop finds it and holds it up.

So tonight I'm having dinner with my best friend... she's telling me a story about when she was in Jr. High and some boy wanted to teach her how to kiss. So she says:

"So we were at Jill's house and she had this neat room. You had to go into a closet, open a hatch and crawl through into this room. Inside she had Christmas lights and we'd sit in there and play cards, and..."

I'm thinking Never mind the boy and the kissing!!! Tell me more about this room!! How was it concealed in the construction of the house? How big was it? How much 'preps' could I fit in it? Was it an attic and hot? Or insulated? Where is this house? Is it where we grew up? I could buy that house!

:24:

So tonight I'm having dinner with my best friend... she's telling me a story about when she was in Jr. High and some boy wanted to teach her how to kiss. So she says:

"So we were at Jill's house and she had this neat room. You had to go into a closet, open a hatch and crawl through into this room. Inside she had Christmas lights and we'd sit in there and play cards, and..."

I'm thinking Never mind the boy and the kissing!!! Tell me more about this room!! How was it concealed in the construction of the house? How big was it? How much 'preps' could I fit in it? Was it an attic and hot? Or insulated? Where is this house? Is it where we grew up? I could buy that house!

:busted: That is just sooo sad!!! and So funny at the same time! :24:

Originally Posted By: cookiejar

When you watch cops/Swat/court TV and make in fun of the handguns of both the good and bad guys (by caliber etc)

When you can watch a cops episode and can name the gun maker and caliber 3 seconds after the cop finds it and holds it up

Busted! We're both so bad about that. Including counting rounds fired vs reloads done, and the magic morphing gun (where the continuity folks goofed and the gun is one type in one scene, and something totally different in the next.)
Originally Posted By: dogmom4
When you drive past the soccer fields and wonder how many veggies you can grow on it...
Stacy

roflbusted

I do that at the schools I work at...Mentally humming and doing the square footage to veggies game

When you can't enjoy the view from anything anymore...

I was at a party at my boss' place and he has a STUNNING view from the 30th floor overlooking beautiful Bayside...and all I could do was look down and think Man what a loooong walk.

When a family member says "it's time for a rotation", and you think of your preps as they look at your tires.

When someone picks up a bullet on a detective show and you already can name the style, "Oh that's a 22". (Wink to Vic303)

When you have more than 3 bins of fabric but feel the need for 2 more (wink to Westie)

When your on a first name basis with the folks that bake in your supermarket and they *save* buckets for you.

When you crow with delight over new food grade buckets (*SCORE!*)

When you can name at least 5 surivival novels and their authors (Wink to Bookworm)

When you have more than 3 bins of fabric but feel the need for 2 more (wink to Westie)

3 bins!
man you better not see Michael's fabric shelves 4 floor to ceiling units and then in the store room WOW! but he knows where everything is and when he needs it -walks right up, digs in and pulls out just the right color.

AmishLori.jpg

When someone picks up a bullet on a detective show and you already can name the style, "Oh that's a 22". (Wink to Vic303)

When your on a first name basis with the folks that bake in your supermarket and they *save* buckets for you.

When you can pick up a brass shell casing, look at it and tell if it was fired in a Glock (pistol brass) or an HK (rifle brass).

And yes, every time we stop at Walmart for cookies, the bakery ladies ask us if we need the empty buckets!

If you can name 10 flaws in *The Jericho* Series

If you have 10 recipes on file that have nothing to do with food

(How to make soap, How to make wax candles..etc.)

If you can name 3 ways to use baking soda and it doesn't include baking.

If you've ever cached anything

If you can GPS better than Nasa

If you know the exact amount of time it would take to walk out home from anywhere, while carrying a backpack, and water (and your hobby is not hiking)

If you shop in camping and hiking stores and you do neither lol

• 2 months later...

bump

Okay, Had to bring this one back up...had a moment.

When you can actually Name four kinds of Wheat and defend their merits "The Montana Red Wheats the best!" (wink to QueenMum).

When you have to explain to family that the #10 cans stacked along your wall are not paint cans.

When they leave, you considered the idea of making fake labels that say "Wheat yellow paint" or "Rice white latex" for security reasons.

When left with a common item like a mattress, you can come up with more emergency uses for it than McGyver.

When going on vacation, you map out more bugout routes and water supplies than finding amusing attractions.

You agree to finally vacation as long as it either includes Amish country, farmers markets or historical recreated living (St. Augustine!)

You weird out the renactor by answering the question about the difference between a rifle and a flintlock 9smoothbore!!!).

laughkick

I'm glad you bumped this, cookie! I missed it the first time 'round. Hilarious..... but SO TRUE!

Quote:
Humor???? I was ticking them off, I thought it was a checklist.
UKguy -- I'm with you...... yeahthat

Mother could put up a whole lot of these --- checking out possible "skill sets" from the blue-haired old ladies in the neighboring RV space. wink

How 'bout..... your decoré is "pioneer antiques" - cast iron and granite ware, oil lanterns, rug beates, school slates, and hand fans hang from your walls. (says MtRider as she takes a look around) ...and you know how to use them.

MtRider

Hmmm...how about when you have an extra bit of cash you debate with yourself if it would be better spent for:

1. a better grain mill

2. another firearm

3. a camper shell to make BO easier

rofl

Pioneer Antique!

Ooooh Goatherder!! I go for the shell! Pick the shell! LOL

How about one more from the St. Augustine from me?

When the reenactors stop calling on you when they ask a question.

"Name ingredients of black powder?"

"..Ohhhh oooooooooo I know! Charcoal, salt peter, and let me think..."

People really think your into conservation and recycling because of all the milk and bleach jugs you have. That you have 20 uses for newspaper besides just reading them.

Everyroom in your house has either a weapon or four kinds of emergency lighting. (I.E. Darlene's bullet clip in the china cabinet).

Some of your cleaning supplies double as cooking/baking supplies.

OH Cookie, I'm glad you bumped it up also. I too just found it. AND LOVED all of them. I've done so many of them I'm certainly a survivalist. Especially the Pioneer Antique decor. Here's a few more.

When you stuff your RV with more survival supplies than you do vacation items. When you take vegetable seeds with you on vacation. When you eyeball the used RV lots as places to hide out if the SHTF when you're on vacation. When the only things you bring home from a vacation is 20 pound bags of oatmeal, rice, beans and etc bought at Amish run bulk food stores. grin

bighug

LOL!!

RV Survivalism works well.

I love this series because its sadly true!

Here's some more:

If your family every considered doing an *Intervention* over your addiction to _________ (insert)

Fabric

Seed Catalogues

Ammo

Fabric

Geocaching

St. Vinnies

Farmers & flea markets

Fabric

Wholesale clubs

Canning

Food sealers

& Fabric (Westie)

Is there an *intervention* in your future? grin

just remember.... in the end.. I will have the fabric to make jeans, shirts, dresses, underware, bras, panties, slips, and aprons.

I have the fabric to make suits, jackets, sleeping bags if necessary! I will be able to make quilts, sheets, hats, christmas presents.

I have some of the finest batists for making christening gowns, blouses, nightgowns, slips...not to forget all the lace and ribbons.

My sewing machines do more then just a straight stitch!!! they do 30+ fancy stitches (the competition has nothing on me), I can sew through leather, 6 layers of denim, or sail cloth. I have the ability to use a 2 needle function and all this from a treadle! I can easily convert a serger into a treadle and offer a more secure stitch.

the patterns I have will cover any size from premie to 6X both men and women. I have the ability to design any pattern from a mear description after eyeing your body for a few minutes and have you wearing it in a matter of days.

SO in the end my little cookiejar... I will be laughing my way to the intervention.. eye the person doing the intervention, and have an article of clothing ready to give them as a gift the next day.. and it will fit too! that ought to have the mediator's head spinning.

now that is pretty humorous!

Oh, that reminds me, I bought the coolest pattern making system. You just take your measurements and you can make a whole bunch of different things for men, women, and kids. It's hard to explain how it works, but it's neat and I only paid a dollar for it. As for fabric...we have boxes and boxes and still can't pass up a good deal. Same with sewing machines, thread, and any other item needed to make clothing and such.