MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freeze-drying at home

In the early seventies, my mother spent $700 for a microwave oven. At the time, spending that much on a used car got you a car that was only about a year old and could be expected to last for a long time. The same oven cost less than half that much a few months later, and what, $100? in today's dollars on Amazon. So I figure that oven cost about $4k in today's dollars.

Coincidentally, so does this: http://harvestright.com/store/freeze-dryer-black.html

And I want it. How much do you think it will cost a year from now?

*******Those are two articles that every prepper/self-reliant person should read and understand!!!! And I'm not referring to the home freeze-dry product. But like we must delve into the science when we do canning.....so it is with other forms of preserving food.

Seriously, if you preserve food or purchase preserved food, you will be safer if you know the principles in the article labeled "Part 2". :feedme:

MtRider :pc_coffee: EXCELLENT science written clearly. Thanks Ambergris! :thumbs:

Edited by Mt_Rider

*******Those are two articles that every prepper/self-reliant person should read and understand!!!! And I'm not referring to the home freeze-dry product. But like we must delve into the science when we do canning.....so it is with other forms of preserving food.

Seriously, if you preserve food or purchase preserved food, you will be safer if you know the principles in the article labeled "Part 2". :feedme:

MtRider :pc_coffee: EXCELLENT science written clearly. Thanks Ambergris! :thumbs:

:)

• 4 weeks later...

I have a question. If I was to purchase this machine how do I figure how much say pork sausage to freeze dry if I want to end up with 5 #10 cans? A #10 can has about 29 ounces in it of finished product. How many pounds of fresh product would I need to get what I want.

:wormie2:

John

• 1 month later...

$3,700 for an enameled, and $6,250 in stainless. Sheesh. I am 'sending this up', perhaps it will be a enclave acquistion.

Thank you, Ambergris, for the link.

Bags not required? GOOD.

With the quality of cans, we do true canning at the enclave level, really going 'south', hmm...

Sarah

Sorry I'm just checking back Mt Rider! DD started high school Aug 6th then a week later started throwing up for 17 days in a row. Never found out what was wrong. I think I was a combo of stomach virus and nerves. Been back at school 8 days now. That was not fun. Evidentially during the time she missed I was supposed to go out of the way to the school and drop off her dr. excuses so they wouldn't call the DA for truancy. Got that squared away no thanks to the truancy official at the school. I called 3 times last week with no answer or voice mail at the school number and no reply from the messages left on her cell phone. I went straight to the DA and got it taken care of almost immediately. She finally called a week after the fact. Said she was just getting around to returning calls on her cell and no one was leaving messages on the school phone. :banghead: Told me if she gets to sick again to make sure I get the excuses there in a timely manner. Let her know DD missed several days in a row and was more worried about why she was throwing up so many days in a row than going out of the way to drop off excuses to the school that I was in contact with almost daily!

To Windmorn....Sometimes our modern conveniences cause more problems than they solve. What an awful time for you and dd. How she'll do well now.

Emergency Essentials just got this Home Freeze-Drying device too. About the same price.

Stainless:

http://beprepared.com/harvest-right-home-freeze-dryer-stainless-steel.html

Other:

http://beprepared.com/harvest-right-home-freeze-dryer-black-finish.html

Yeah.....if a community would share this, the price would be within reason, Sarah.

MtRider :pc_coffee: