MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Butter yield from cream?

Through a lovely piece of serendipity I'm going to have access to raw milk and cream again, and I miss the beautiful fresh churned sweet butter I used to make back in the days when we had dairy cows. Does anyone know approximately what the yield is from a quart or a gallon of cream? I need to tell my friend how much to hold back for me.

And ohhh, slap me silly; she also has milk fed pork. *swoon*

My car will be loaded to the roof on Tuesday. I'm coming home with half a pig, three gallons of milk and a quart of cream. That was my order before I realized I forgot I could make butter again!:cele:

Through a lovely piece of serendipity I'm going to have access to raw milk and cream again, and I miss the beautiful fresh churned sweet butter I used to make back in the days when we had dairy cows. Does anyone know approximately what the yield is from a quart or a gallon of cream? I need to tell my friend how much to hold back for me.

And ohhh, slap me silly; she also has milk fed pork. *swoon*

My car will be loaded to the roof on Tuesday. I'm coming home with half a pig, three gallons of milk and a quart of cream. That was my order before I realized I forgot I could make butter again!:cele:

Hi, it has been so long since I have churned butter, but, if you have a churn, and fill it about 1/2 full, I would think you would get at least a pound of butter from that. You also will get Buttermilk. :) Be sure to save it and use it in cake, pancakes or something. :)

I'm not using a churn this time. I gave it to the people who bought my cow. I'm using my KitchenAid mixer, and I'm very pleased with how well it works.

I can happily report that the yield of beautiful bright yellow summer pasture butter from a half gallon of cream was 38 ounces, or a little more than nine sticks.

Oh, and I've always been a poop about saving the buttermilk. I start rinsing and rinsing and just let it go down the drain. Isn't that awful?

Archived